Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR and WoW, the good and Bad

chuixupu
05.12.2013 , 02:12 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Jeweledleah View Post
I think what OP means is that unlike TOR that gives you only items that have proper stats and armor type for your character (or for your companions) making it easy to figure out which stats you should be looking for - WoW has set rewards for quests that don't necessarily cover all the classes and can be extremely useless.
That's changed somewhat, actually, for the newer content. They used to offer multiple choices for classes for everything, but now it's more like swtor where you get only choices your class can use. But there's still older quests that haven't been revamped in that way.

Quote:
case in point - I was leveling a monk as a healer and I was stuck wearing cloth a lot of time, because most leather quest rewards were agility, not intellect. at least i've been playing that game long enough to know where to go for questions and the like. WoW is terrible at telling you what stats you need through in game means. they pretty much assume that you'd be going for guides outside of the game and even tell you that much on a loading screen.
Up through level 50, you can use a lighter armor class without any noticeable penalty. After that your stats become gimped if you don't use your proper gear specialization. Back before they implemented that function, you'd see paladin healers decked out in cloth. Those were funny times.
Though I agree that SWTOR's gear system is better overall. The mod system, the adaptable gear, the fact that all specs within a major class use the same base stats and resource is a big improvement.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Aelther
05.12.2013 , 02:38 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by jedimasterjac View Post
[*]Lack of ability to duel spec.
People STILL complain about this? Just subscribe and get field re-spec and you have something that's a billion times better than dual-spec. it's n-spec. With dual spec you are stuck with only 2 roles (which was very annoying in wow, especially when playing a Paladin or Druid), but here you can have as many specs as you like. PVP dps, PVE dps, PVE tank, pvp tank, pvp heal, pve heal, etc.

I'd take my free field re-spec over very limited wow's dual-spec any day.

Jeweledleah
05.12.2013 , 02:46 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
That's changed somewhat, actually, for the newer content. They used to offer multiple choices for classes for everything, but now it's more like swtor where you get only choices your class can use. But there's still older quests that haven't been revamped in that way.

Up through level 50, you can use a lighter armor class without any noticeable penalty. After that your stats become gimped if you don't use your proper gear specialization. Back before they implemented that function, you'd see paladin healers decked out in cloth. Those were funny times.
Though I agree that SWTOR's gear system is better overall. The mod system, the adaptable gear, the fact that all specs within a major class use the same base stats and resource is a big improvement.
oh I know... its just that my monk had to wear cloth all the way to pandaria which is where it first starts changing to class specific rewards (and coincidentally, where they added vendors that sell full set of affordable, properly stated armor) early on though, where you are still learning how you class works? its pretty blah. (and yes my pally used to wear cloth :P I mean, the whole leroy jenkins vid starts with a premise of them deciding if they want to kill that boss to get devout shoulders for leroy - cloth shoulders) and it doesn't help that dungeons have gearscore requirement to queue for them, which means she had to slog through a lot of quests that had no good rewards for her first, before being eligible to queue, even with scaling BoA gear.

aaanyways

I also prefer TOR gear system by a large margin

that said, the comment about comparing apples and oranges has a lot of merit. I mean there are similarities to both games, just like apple and orange are both fruits that grow on trees and can even be the same color, but they ARE different games nonetheless.

Trollokdamus
05.12.2013 , 03:48 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Aelther View Post
People STILL complain about this? Just subscribe and get field re-spec and you have something that's a billion times better than dual-spec. it's n-spec. With dual spec you are stuck with only 2 roles (which was very annoying in wow, especially when playing a Paladin or Druid), but here you can have as many specs as you like. PVP dps, PVE dps, PVE tank, pvp tank, pvp heal, pve heal, etc.

I'd take my free field re-spec over very limited wow's dual-spec any day.
Does this "field re-spec" save gear sets and talent choices so you can switch between specs with a single click? I don't think so. How is it a billion times better then?

Aelther
05.12.2013 , 04:06 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Trollokdamus View Post
Does this "field re-spec" save gear sets and talent choices so you can switch between specs with a single click? I don't think so. How is it a billion times better then?
Changing gear is not part of "dual spec", what you're asking for is an auto-wardrobe feature, not duel spec.. Duel spec is about saving money when changing your role. And you mean changing gear is so difficult for you that you'd rather limit yourself to only 2 specs, instead of having infinite number of specs and changing your gear yourself? You people are beyond lazy.
Sigh seems future really is going to be exactly like THIS.

Grimmjon
05.12.2013 , 04:06 PM | #16
Both games have unbalanced pvp because they are MMOs. Can anyone name an MMO that has balanced pvp?

MisterMuse
05.12.2013 , 04:21 PM | #17
An engine that doesn't screw up during combat would be nice. Activating an ability that's "instant" should be instant not hit when the animation does. Seeing the cooldown go off and the energy taken while you don't actually do any damage is just so bloody annoying.

Idunhavaname
05.12.2013 , 04:27 PM | #18
Only thing I will disagree with is difficulty of dungeons in WoW and flow of combat. WoW imo had one of the best flow (rotation) than any game Ive played with the exception of the awkward ones that relies on RNG procs.

RIP orange pixel

chuixupu
05.12.2013 , 05:03 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Trollokdamus View Post
Wow doesn't save gear sets with dual-spec, that's a different feature that does that.

Honestly, it is a little bit better to be able to switch to any spec, even the tiniest little re-adjustments, anywhere, anytime, anyplace. Yes, in WoW you can have two pre-selected specs that you can switch back and forth from at any point. But if you want to change your second spec from a tank spec into a heal spec, then you have to go back to the trainer to unlearn that specialization. As someone that needed to change between three specs in one week, (pve dps, pve heals, pvp heals), I would have traded for SWTOR's system. I ended spending a lot of money dong that, and also having to change glyphs.

All SWTOR really needs is an option in the UI to save your action bar buttons and a gear set saving button. I don't mind replugging in talents, that takes all of 10 seconds.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Lurtzello
05.12.2013 , 06:12 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Grimmjon View Post
Both games have unbalanced pvp because they are MMOs. Can anyone name an MMO that has balanced pvp?
"Cows go moo, dogs go woof, MMO players go the PvP is unbalanced"
Everything is STAR WARS is the best.