Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Still no cross-faction-communication?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Still no cross-faction-communication?

BrianDavion
05.09.2013 , 11:53 AM | #21
there are some trools various roleplayers have found to address this. mostly third party chat programs and the like it's not perfect. but even among those who use such tools you don't see a lot of people useing it.

zzoorrzz
05.09.2013 , 11:58 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by UltimateKrucible View Post
As far as I've tested it /say works in WZ but not in open world.

As a side note, DCU had 'versus' chat and that worked fine. Ok, there was some baiting, flaming and unpleasantness - but how is that any way different to single-faction general chat?

Let us talk to the imps!
Of course /say works in the open world.... or am I just seeing things and talking to myself?

Tezeretz
05.09.2013 , 12:00 PM | #23
There is no point to being unable to talk across faction.

Story and lore wise...we all speak galactic basic. and some characters may know other languages etc.

Game wise...I'd sooner bash the morons i get grouped with then a player who skillfully slaughtered me. Hell...i'm more likely to ask him how he pulled that off!

This needs to be changed. everyone should be allowed to chat. period. It will never happen unless bioware comes up with a way to sell it on the cartel market. then it will get patched in within a week or two.

Ayradyss
05.09.2013 , 12:05 PM | #24
RP would certainly benefit from Cross-faction emotes, if nothing more. Some other forms of cross-faction communication are often helpful as well. I know when I RP with friends, we often go to Party chat so that our own RP isn't all jumbled into the local chat and vice-versa. Cross-faction grouping is obviously not part of the gameplay, but cross-faction tells would at least allow some of this. Cross-faction custom chat channels would be the real solution, IMO.

As custom channels can be passworded, it allows some protection from harassment -- only those who you want to communicate with would be there. In a similar vein, if they would allow cross-faction friends-lists, then they could allow cross-faction tells from people on your friends list.

These type of functions would also be very useful/helpful for those of us in smaller guilds who play on both Republic and Imperial sides. A way for the Rep & Imp guildies to communicate easily for impromptu gaming/grouping would be a great asset, IMO.

CaldaRaric
05.09.2013 , 12:07 PM | #25
Cross faction custom channels could work for organizing RP. That way it wouldn't clog everyone's chat log, especially those who don't want it.

Raudbjorn
05.09.2013 , 12:07 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by HenerkinEisley View Post
/say is not enough for RP.

In dept RP storylines need to be coordinated OOC as well as RP-PvP in some case. Thats why we don't see much of it here, areas and communications are too restrictive. Even custom emotes are blocked.

Cross-faction custom channels and tells would be a great asset to the game and make things a lot easier for those who want to run cross-faction stories and events.

Open all channels to all factions except PvP and General and give the user the option to activate or not cross-faction communications.
That sounds good, and simple.
A simple little "chat" option: allow tells from opposite faction.
Disabled by default.

Or something like, if a Smuggler wants to chat with a Bounty Hunter, and the Smuggler starts, trying to start a conversation, the BH would get a confirmation box [####### wants to chat with you, please accept or decline the convo invite].

Let those who want it get it, and those who don't want it, leave it alone.

Felioats
05.09.2013 , 12:10 PM | #27
If there were no cross-faction /say, there never would have been any win trading on Ilum, and the original PvP there never would have been removed.
>

ZoeTuah
05.09.2013 , 12:12 PM | #28
Here's an idea. Engaging in certain types of PvP puts you off speaking terms with the opposite faction for some amount of time.

scraycroft
05.09.2013 , 12:27 PM | #29
Considering how rotten we are to the people in our own faction, I don't see why x-faction tells should not be allowed if harassment is your only problem.

If someone wants to nerd rage after getting ganked whats to stop them from jumping on their other toon on the other faction to smack talk? If the game did not allow you to have toons from both factions on a server this would make sense, but they do.
Malystriz PuffinStuff
The Bastion
Quote: Originally Posted by ChewyYui View Post
They added alacrity to the gear so you can taunt things faster and accuracy is there so the fast taunts don't miss, fly off and taunt a tree or something.

Icebergy
05.09.2013 , 12:30 PM | #30
You can already talk with other factions in /say which is more than you could do in any other MMO I have played, and more than enough imo. This would be way more trouble than its worth, and would cause a lot of confusion for people forming groups/guilds.
10/10 NiM, 4/4 NiM, NMP, 7/12 NiM, HM GF, 4/5 NiM, 7/10 HM
I am happy that there will be a renewed focus on story, I love story, its why I picked this MMO. But I picked an MMO, not an episodic single player RPG that I have to pay a subscription to receive the episodes.