Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Levling a Sith Juggernaught

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Levling a Sith Juggernaught

Kengin's Avatar


Kengin
05.07.2013 , 07:11 PM | #1
So, i recently picked up the game again and decided i wanted to level up a juggernaught. What would you recommend specing for lvling, and why?

As I'm looking at both the vengence and rage tree i feel like both have good potential.

I'm only lvl 18 atm, but I've spread out points a bit. Taking some stuff from Rage (namely free scream / force crit / Smash dmg) and lower cd on Sundering Assault.

exiliox's Avatar


exiliox
05.08.2013 , 09:58 PM | #2
Well it depends on a few factors....do you prefer to tank or dps? Do you plan to group or solo? Do you have an affinity for a specific companion?

But if you just want to dig into the game, vengeance spec is highly recommended. There is a thread on the first page that links to a video build showing the spec and a suggested rotation...start there and you should be having fun in no time.

MrFantastik's Avatar


MrFantastik
05.13.2013 , 06:27 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Kengin View Post
So, i recently picked up the game again and decided i wanted to level up a juggernaught. What would you recommend specing for lvling, and why?

As I'm looking at both the vengence and rage tree i feel like both have good potential.

I'm only lvl 18 atm, but I've spread out points a bit. Taking some stuff from Rage (namely free scream / force crit / Smash dmg) and lower cd on Sundering Assault.
Assuming you are trying to lvl quickly and want to be able to solo the most efficiently...

Until lvl 29, do this;
http://www.swtor-spy.com/skill-tree-...0000000&ver=20

Then at lvl 29, go to fleet and respec to this;
http://www.swtor-spy.com/skill-tree-...0000000&ver=20

The points into payback are optional, they can be moved freely somewhere else in the tree if you prefer.

Always use your healer companion and you should be able to solo most leveling content in game (with exception to flashpoints and the more difficult heroics) as well as level quickly. It's what I would do if I were going to level a jugg again.

Hope this is useful
Astellon - The Shadowlands
"Your friendly neighborhood rage jugg"

TheronFett's Avatar


TheronFett
05.13.2013 , 09:35 PM | #4
What he said ^

There is no better/faster leveling spec than Rage. It absolutely destroys trash MOBs. Unfortunately, it's essentially worthless until about level 30. But once you get the supercharged Smash, it's all gravy from there. Personally, I hate the spec because t's boring to play. However, for dailies, I'll even switch to Rage on my Marauder just because it's so effective for blazing through those missions.

LaBu's Avatar


LaBu
05.19.2013 , 02:12 AM | #5
If you're going to run around alone and focus on quests, remember to enable Vette's abilities through her hotbar.
Group up as many mobs as you can + Warrior Smash + Vette C4 = quest completed.

Elyx's Avatar


Elyx
05.20.2013 , 04:24 PM | #6
Honestly, both Rage and Vengeance are good for leveling. Rage can kill allot of trash stuff fast, but until 45 it can only do it once every 2-3 fights. its very sporatic until you get the pinnacle ability, force crush. until then, what you have is a situational spotty burst AoE spec that outside of that suffers from rage production (not as much as before, but it's still there)

I just leveled another alt as Rage post 2.0 to see the differences. in all honesty, up to the mid 20's rage can be a fun spec. getting obliterate at 20 gives you another skill to hit, and makes the class a bit more interesting (the gap close is fun to). but it still lacks in rage to do everything, and you don't get your auto-crit smash until 30 minimum. I found that vengeance is much smoother in early levels due to rage production.

yeah, you don't something like obliterate until 30 in vengeance, but with its rage savings and defensive skills, I find that i have more rage available, and vicious slash may be boring at times, but hits like a truck, especially when critting (and vengeance gets a buff on it's damage).

So, in the two guards that I'm leveling right now mirroring each other (one rage, one vengeance), here's my results:

Rage : more interesting early early on with obliterate, but lacks rage and lolsmashes are spotty until 45. less damage then vengeance single target at lower levels.

Vengeance: smoother Rage gen and better damage mid levels, mitigation's are better, but Rage catches up at 45. mobility is better overall then Rage.

Personally, I'd mix and match all trees up to 20 and run Soresu form (tank)...there's some great damage boosts and rage savings in all the trees early on, and . at 20 I'd respec Rage, and switch to vengeance for the 30's up to 45. from that point, pick your poison (I'm a vengeance guy mostly).

If your not that picky, just want smooth leveling experience, go Vengeance. it's got a smooth growing curve, and plenty of rage to spare for anything post 20.
"I just hit 50 and finished my class storyline, but I still haven't been able to decide which AC to choose. Leveling solo as a warrior wasn't difficult, so I kept putting off the decision.
Anyone else having the same problem? "~ lagerhat - And who says warriors are broke?

MrFantastik's Avatar


MrFantastik
05.21.2013 , 05:43 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Elyx View Post
Honestly, both Rage and Vengeance are good for leveling. Rage can kill allot of trash stuff fast, but until 45 it can only do it once every 2-3 fights. its very sporatic until you get the pinnacle ability, force crush. until then, what you have is a situational spotty burst AoE spec that outside of that suffers from rage production (not as much as before, but it's still there)

I just leveled another alt as Rage post 2.0 to see the differences. in all honesty, up to the mid 20's rage can be a fun spec. getting obliterate at 20 gives you another skill to hit, and makes the class a bit more interesting (the gap close is fun to). but it still lacks in rage to do everything, and you don't get your auto-crit smash until 30 minimum. I found that vengeance is much smoother in early levels due to rage production.

yeah, you don't something like obliterate until 30 in vengeance, but with its rage savings and defensive skills, I find that i have more rage available, and vicious slash may be boring at times, but hits like a truck, especially when critting (and vengeance gets a buff on it's damage).

So, in the two guards that I'm leveling right now mirroring each other (one rage, one vengeance), here's my results:

Rage : more interesting early early on with obliterate, but lacks rage and lolsmashes are spotty until 45. less damage then vengeance single target at lower levels.

Vengeance: smoother Rage gen and better damage mid levels, mitigation's are better, but Rage catches up at 45. mobility is better overall then Rage.

Personally, I'd mix and match all trees up to 20 and run Soresu form (tank)...there's some great damage boosts and rage savings in all the trees early on, and . at 20 I'd respec Rage, and switch to vengeance for the 30's up to 45. from that point, pick your poison (I'm a vengeance guy mostly).

If your not that picky, just want smooth leveling experience, go Vengeance. it's got a smooth growing curve, and plenty of rage to spare for anything post 20.
This is wrong. Rage tree is worthless early on. You get free crit smash at lvl 26 (not 30) and you max shockwave at 29. Until you can take advantage of smash (it's the smash build duh!) it isn't worth putting points into the rage tree. Don't take this tree for obliterate lol, it hits ok but is used mainly for smash crit buff. As far as rage generation, anyone who thinks the rage tree has less doesn't know how to play the class. The simple explanation is; both specs have the same rage generating abilities. Now, go read the rage tree talent "overpower" (tier2). Pretty much all of your attacks lower CD on enrage (trainable at lvl 22) by 2sec and it costs 2 talent points. To achieve the same rage generation from sunder you must spend 4 talent points AND split them between 2 trees. Plus, it's not like you have to give up the sunder ability to go rage, you just don't put points into it until late game. So this way you have good enrage CD AND regular sunder (more rage generation all around). Also, sunder counts as one of the CD reduction abilities for enrage.

I'm not going to argue Vengeance VS Rage. Both are good viable trees for a DPS jugg. However keep in mind that the Vengeance tree is a single target DPS tree, and the rage tree offers much greater AoE ability while still keeping pace with vengeance's single target DPS. How often do you run across single mobs while questing? Not that often.

I stick by my first post. Spec tanky early on it will allow you the least down time between groups of mobs since you don't have your healer companion yet (you'll get him at the end of Balmorra). Choose gear with DPS stats, but use a shield generator for your offhand. Once you can make use of smash in the rage tree (lvl29), respec to that and get rid of your shield generator for a focus.

I've been playing my jugg since launch. Played all the specs. Trust me, this is the way to go for fast leveling.

Hope this clears things up for those looking for good infos
Astellon - The Shadowlands
"Your friendly neighborhood rage jugg"

Faolon's Avatar


Faolon
05.22.2013 , 08:12 AM | #8
If you want the easiest possible leveling experience, spec tank.
"I will show you things... wonderful, terrible things."

Argentus's Avatar


Argentus
05.26.2013 , 05:55 PM | #9
Since we're already talking about leveling a Warrior, may I append a question to the OP's thread?

I've been running Immortal up to level 29 and rather enjoying the feeling of being an indestructible tank while letting Vette do the DPS. From these comments, I'm guessing Immortal is a bad choice for heading into my 30s and up? The play style is a lot of fun, so if the playability isn't very much slower, I'd rather stick with Immortal. However, I'm getting the impression that the difference is quite significant. Is that correct?

Xeperi's Avatar


Xeperi
05.28.2013 , 09:59 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Argentus View Post
Since we're already talking about leveling a Warrior, may I append a question to the OP's thread?

I've been running Immortal up to level 29 and rather enjoying the feeling of being an indestructible tank while letting Vette do the DPS. From these comments, I'm guessing Immortal is a bad choice for heading into my 30s and up? The play style is a lot of fun, so if the playability isn't very much slower, I'd rather stick with Immortal. However, I'm getting the impression that the difference is quite significant. Is that correct?
I think being a tanky tank only gets better as you go up in levels. Mine (immo jugg) is in the mid 30's and my enjoyment of the game is only really increasing. To me, this is not only when you start getting some really good tank abilities, but also when you really start learning how to tank. Not sure if you would have your next comp yet, but when you do, it (imo) far surpasses Vette in dps, with both geared out.

It depends on what you like personally, but I think if your liking jugg immortal so far you will only like it more as you level.