Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is it possible to move Dye packs over to the armor crafting professions

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Is it possible to move Dye packs over to the armor crafting professions

Argonloris
05.03.2013 , 09:34 PM | #1
I think this would be a more logical move than placing dye packs as a part of artifice for two reasons.

First is the fact that since the packs only apply to armor it would make it a bit more logical to have the people who make said armor make the items that change it. Similar to the way that the people who can craft lightsabers craft the item that changes the appearance of the lightsaber (Color Crystals)

Secondly is the fact that the crafting professions other than artifice could use some love. Biochem is alright on the market since it crafts stims, Armstech can survive with high end barrels and some of the major augments used in the game (power/endurance), Artifice has both crafting new weapons, relics, and color crystals to keep it viable in the GTN. This was boosted with the ability to craft some of the more sought after saber colors such as black-purple. Synthweaving and Armormech are currently hurting a bit with just a few pieces of armor and a few augments that aren't used all that often.

I don't say this from a bubble. I have crafters of all the professions and look at them from a larger viewpoint. At the same time I would be afraid that putting all the customization items on one crafting ability would make it a problem with content in the future. If everyone wants to have the option to fully customize their characters they would all choose artifice and would likely over saturate the market. Placing the dye packs on other professions spreads things out a bit and makes us choose what we would prefer to change more. Free to Play members wouldn't be able to do full customization just because the one character they keep around is an artifice and we would see more money both in the cartel market and in game currency change hands over the course of the game play time.
The Jade Legacy
Argonloris Marellis NichosSixtus
RIP: Mara Jade May 29, 2007

MorgothPl
05.04.2013 , 01:49 AM | #2
Synth and armormech make unusable augments? I guess that those defense/shield/cunning/absorb don't count? Also not every artificer have the crystals receipes... And apart them artifice can't make anything good. So it's fine time artifice got some love.

Hakkology
05.04.2013 , 02:19 AM | #3
+1

Great opinion ! Artifice can already craft enhancements, and all the enhancements in Black Market/Verpine gear is stupid right now. If an artifice gets a schematic to build an initiative 30 enhancement, that guy is rich. Artifice has ways of making LOTS of money if they can get the recipe for a rare enhancement. Not to mention the colour crystal schematics.

Augment prices have lowered terribly after your last buff to slicing materials. We no longer can maintain a good income, since production values are way higher than the demand. Synthweavers and Armormechs always had to rely on augments, augments are pretty useful yes but we need other focuses as well.

All the other gear we can craft is basically stupid. Besides we're going to paint armors, it doesn't make sense to not to give it to synthweavers or armormechs.

Side Note: It doesn't make sense to give it only to artifice, if you are going to do that, give it to armstech as well ! Make them happy too coz what you are about to do will create great unbalance between crew skills.

Come on Bioware, show synthweavers/armormechs some love .
Hakko of the Red Eclipse ( Telekinetics Sage )

Cleet_Xia
05.04.2013 , 03:39 AM | #4
I've got both artifice & armormech....I'll be making the dyes no matter who gets them.

I have to say that I was surprised to see that the dye packs were not given to the armor crafts.

But I understand why they were given to artifice instead.

1) Artifice colored mineral mats are similar to what many RL dyes are made from...so this is fairly realistic
2) Artifice won't be getting any more color crystal patterns, as any new colors will be sold through the CM. If they remove the stats from the color crystals, It will cost artifice a huge chunk of it's schematics. If there are no stat increases past +41, this aspect of artifice will become more irrelevant every time the stat budget is increased.
3) The new sabers are purely cosmetic... as their mods can be bought with planetary comms. And none of them hold a match to the sabers that are bought with basic comms. ~I'm not even sure they are cosmetically unique.
4) new endgame relics in 2.0 don't appear to REable for a schematic.
5) the enhancements suffer from the same problem as enhancements have always suffered from, huge variety with only a handful that players are actually interested in using. I've researched 3 for my personal use.
6) Any grade or model of 28 hilt will not sell for what the mats are worth when the basic comm saber includes one.
7) modable offhands dropping in SM FPs destroyed the artifice offhand market.

Going forward.. artifice is quickly going to become the least desirable craft at endgame. I'm not saying that it wouldn't be fair for another craft besides armstech to bear that title for a while, but artifice is a much more popular craft. The rage will start just as soon as more people are done gearing up for lvl 55 HM, and the enhancement market begins to crash.

When the next tier of relics is introduced & artific can't RE those either... the craft is pretty much done except for schematics from HM operations, color crystals for leveling/ twinking alts, and the new dye packs.
~Master Telagtun Telag of Lord Calypho~

Asavrede
05.04.2013 , 04:06 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by MorgothPl View Post
Synth and armormech make unusable augments? I guess that those defense/shield/cunning/absorb don't count? Also not every artificer have the crystals receipes... And apart them artifice can't make anything good. So it's fine time artifice got some love.
Artifice can make enhancements, which is >>> augments. Augment recipes are so easy to get, there's hardly any market for the individual crafter due to massive supply.

+1 for dyes to be in the crafts that actually make the pieces to be dyed.

Thundergulch
05.04.2013 , 07:51 AM | #6
The only logical profession to make dyes is Biochem. But I can see why they won't, and I agree.

Last_Hearth
05.04.2013 , 10:45 AM | #7
I don't know what you're talking about but the augments have been a source of steady income for me.

Argonloris
05.04.2013 , 04:08 PM | #8
I think the biggest problem is the fact that putting dyes in artifice will put all customizations in one crafting profession. It puts that profession in such high demand that we will see to many of them and the market will oversaturate itself and cause the bottom to drop out. Splitting the dyes between the two armor crafting professions splits the customization between the three different crafting professions and leads to a much more diversive market. The chances for better competition remains high. Also even if they remove the stats from the color crystals (which should have been done in one of the earlier patches) the chances are that the stats would be moved to barrels and hilts which are crafted by artifice and armstech anyway. Also I think that there will be new craftable crystals in the future. I talked to many of the great people in the games development when I was in San Diego and they liked some ideas brought up about new crystals that I think could be made in the future. Not everything will be cartel market.

I'm not saying that artifice can't use love. All the professions can use some tweaking. They always can. Part of the attachment to MMOs are that they are an ever changing environment that will never be perfect and will always have some improvement that can be made. I may not always agree with EA as a business but the members of the development teams will always have my full support. The initial post was to pose an alternative that looks at the concept from a different angle and see if there was an alternative that may be a better option.
The Jade Legacy
Argonloris Marellis NichosSixtus
RIP: Mara Jade May 29, 2007

JimG
05.06.2013 , 10:29 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Argonloris View Post
If everyone wants to have the option to fully customize their characters they would all choose artifice and would likely over saturate the market.
That's not going to happen. You think everyone is going to choose artifice just because they can make some dye modules? Not likely. Taking Biochem and being able to use stims and medpacs throughout my entire gameplay that are re-usable and better than the other ones I could get out there if I didn't have biochem is still infinitely better than being able to craft a few dye modules. I have all the crafting professions on my alts too, but I would never take Artifice if that was my only choice. These dye modules will be plenty easy to get off the GTN and half of them come from the Cartel Market and the CE & Security vendors. Artifice makes less than half of the dye modules.
Quote: Originally Posted by MorgothPl View Post
Exactly.
Quote: Originally Posted by Asavrede View Post
Artifice can make enhancements, which is >>> augments. Augment recipes are so easy to get, there's hardly any market for the individual crafter due to massive supply.
Making enhancements is NOT better than making augments, not even close. Enhancements are MUCH easier to get and you don't even need crafting or the GTN to get them. You can get them as mission rewards or from planet vendors or from stripping them out of gear or weapons. Augments can only be obtained by crafting them or buying them off the GTN. The recipes might be easy to get but the mats for artifact quality augments are generally pretty pricey.