Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Formula's for Character Stats, Damage and Healing

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Formula's for Character Stats, Damage and Healing

TheRabbit
02.10.2012 , 02:31 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Kinvalar View Post
I'm trying to make sense of the formula here and figured I would plug different skills in to help figure it out, but I can't get it to give proper results for Mortar Volley.

On my character's tooltip at 49 Mortar Volley is 3303-3681. At 3 ticks that is 1101-1227 damage. His Tech Damage Bonus is 395. Standard Health Lookup table shows 1575 for a skill trained at 49, which rank 6 of Mortar Volley was.

Using the formula:

Coefficient * DamageBonus + StandardHealthPercentMin * StandardHealth
Coefficient * DamageBonus + StandardHealthPercentMax * StandardHealth

.. with Torhead readout of
SpellDamage: SpellType=>Tech, StandardHealthPercentMin=>0.128, Slot=>None, Coefficient=>1.58, StandardHealthPercentMax=>0.188, DamageType=>Kinetic

I took it to be:

1.58 * 395 + 0.128 * 1575 = 825.7
1.58 * 395 + 0.188 * 1575 = 920.2

825.7-920.2 using calculator vs 1101-1227 judging tooltip.

Am I messing up somewhere?
You are missing part of your DamageBonus. DamageBonus for a tech attack = Aim Damage Bonus + Tech Power Bonus + Power Damage Bonus. At level 50 those 3 together should be somewhere in the 600-700 range. Tech Power Bonus is basically just the compensation for not including weapon damage in the calculation.
-Caevis Azareal - 50 Vanguard Trooper - Iron Citadel

TempestasSilva
02.10.2012 , 03:46 PM | #32
Subscribed
Devs: Please make healing more interesting and fun by increasing options and meaningful decisions. Let a good healer be judged by the decisions they make, not who pressed the buttons in a certain order. Or which class has the most output.

Kinvalar
02.10.2012 , 03:55 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by TheRabbit View Post
You are missing part of your DamageBonus. DamageBonus for a tech attack = Aim Damage Bonus + Tech Power Bonus + Power Damage Bonus. At level 50 those 3 together should be somewhere in the 600-700 range. Tech Power Bonus is basically just the compensation for not including weapon damage in the calculation.
The number above was the combination of those bonuses. It is higher now due to gear, but the math still doesn't work for Mortar Volley.
Squadron 11-11-11

Never Forget

genesiser
02.11.2012 , 12:49 AM | #34
I have a question. Armor reduces damage of kinetic damage correct? If that's the case then why does my grav round hit for the same damage range as the tooltip says where as my sage has the damage reduced by heavy armor targets when they both do kinetic damage? Do some moves just have a bypass all armor stat attached to it?

Kinvalar
02.11.2012 , 10:47 AM | #35
After some tinkering with this today I think I've figured out the problem.

Mortar Volley on my Vanguard
Tech Bonus Damage(combined value for Tech Skills) 479
Tooltip: 3835-4213 damage

DFA on my Powertech
Tech Bonus Damage 476 (closest I could downgrade his gear to for comparison)
Tooltip: 2860-3143 damage

The math comes out perfect for DFA using the calculation, while pointed out in thread MV seems to be off a tick. In use on multiple different mobs and friends helping me out the 2 skills do the same damage per tick.

The only conclusion I can make from this is that MV tooltip thinks the skill has 4 ticks, so it calculates that, even though it is still just 3 ticks.
Squadron 11-11-11

Never Forget

TheRabbit
02.11.2012 , 12:17 PM | #36
After some tinkering with this today I think I've figured out the problem.

Mortar Volley on my Vanguard
Tech Bonus Damage(combined value for Tech Skills) 479
Tooltip: 3835-4213 damage

DFA on my Powertech
Tech Bonus Damage 476 (closest I could downgrade his gear to for comparison)
Tooltip: 2860-3143 damage

The math comes out perfect for DFA using the calculation, while pointed out in thread MV seems to be off a tick. In use on multiple different mobs and friends helping me out the 2 skills do the same damage per tick.

The only conclusion I can make from this is that MV tooltip thinks the skill has 4 ticks, so it calculates that, even though it is still just 3 ticks.
Wow, that seems like incredibly lazy programming lol.
-Caevis Azareal - 50 Vanguard Trooper - Iron Citadel

Clinicclinic
02.12.2012 , 02:21 PM | #37
Awesome information, so thanks for reposting and adding clarifications.

Could you possibly elaborate/explain the " max(level,20) " that appears in the various formulae with diminishing returns? Is that character level, the max percent that stat can achieve, or something else entirely?

acnoj
02.13.2012 , 06:21 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by Clinicclinic View Post
Could you possibly elaborate/explain the " max(level,20) "
These formula's are all written to work in Microsoft Excel, max(level,20) is an excel function. What it means is that the formula uses the Maximum of either the characters level, or 20. Therefore characters of level 20 and less use the number 20, and characters of levels 21 to 50 use their level.
So those formula don't scale with level until you pass level 20.
A.K.A Freehugs (mmo-mechanics forums), Aid (Dalbora server)
Drawn and Dangerous, a D&D webcomic

acnoj
02.13.2012 , 06:23 PM | #39
That wouldn't be the first time people have found a tooltip mistake, make sure you bug report it.

acnoj
02.14.2012 , 08:17 PM | #40
Updated the surge formula today, to match the recent patch.