Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New Subber - Holy Trinity Concerns

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
New Subber - Holy Trinity Concerns

psandak
04.29.2013 , 11:35 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Synzer View Post
^This. If you were in a flashpoint and got put in as healer, but not specced as a healer, you deserve to be kicked. Anyone who thinks otherwise has no business doing flashpoints. Whether you like the mechanic or not or think it is fair, doesn't matter. People aren't being mean by kicking you, you just literally cannot do a flashpoint if you don't have a tank and healer specced for their appropriate roles. If this is something you don't agree with, then just don't play, or at least do flashpoints, you are just ruining for others.
That is not 100% accurate. Up to a point, while leveling (mid-30s to about 40), you really do not need to be specced for a given role to fill it adequately and player skill does play a part as to where the break point is. Beyond that though, because you start getting spec dedicated gear and abilities, and the content gets tougher, yes you really do need to pay more attention to what roles you choose to fill when you queue for a flashpoint.

Atramar
04.30.2013 , 03:02 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
That is not 100% accurate. Up to a point, while leveling (mid-30s to about 40), you really do not need to be specced for a given role to fill it adequately and player skill does play a part as to where the break point is. Beyond that though, because you start getting spec dedicated gear and abilities, and the content gets tougher, yes you really do need to pay more attention to what roles you choose to fill when you queue for a flashpoint.
you get more of a healer at 25 ish.
and it does matter, it's better to take healer companion then dps that 'will throw a heal or two'
it's not about being good healer, but dedicated.
Tracer Legacy, The Red Eclipse.
Not reading colored text, it hurts my eyes. Sorry (unless it's a dev post)
L55:Sniper,Operative,Juggernaut,Assassin,Marauder, Powertech,Guardian,Commando,Scoundrel
to finish:Shadow(41),Sage(53),Merc(39). 29.07.2013

TaylorNova
04.30.2013 , 05:03 AM | #23
I know you all talking about Stats here, But The main consideration I believe The OP is making, is The Utter Rudeness and contempt to new members of a group, who may be still finding there feet In group Play.

patience is not one of the Virtues of some of these people Who make groups, and they are not doing newcomers any favors by Kicking people, without proir knowledge of the reason Why, Which is why I Never join a group, only the one with my guild members , or the closed small group of my friends to do A heroic mission.
TBH I dont know why you are all obsessed with Stats? , although My new Master is making sure I am marking the Right points on my tree, Over use of technically correct Stats , especially in groups, is bound to put people off more joining them.

Flashpoints I keep well clear off, Just like Dungeons in WoW, The more knowledgeable players kick, ridicule, and generally have no patience at all, to show a newcomer to Flash points how they work, what your role will be, What, or where the ultimate mission end is, and any hanging about or BRB (for RL for a minute it two) usually ends up with the unfortuante player being discarded. groups have to remember We all have a RL, and i have an unwell partner at the moment, meaning, my first priority, is to see to her needs, and I make my reason for leaving, which usually ends in words from the others which are quite colorful.

This for me, is the only real downside of this game, I came here to play the Light side, and kick Siths, not players, nor be bamboozled by over technically correct people, who seem to be more interested in being a techno Whore, which seems to rule there game play, instead of the ideals of the Star Wars universe.

Atramar
04.30.2013 , 05:25 AM | #24
TaylorNova:
well, if some one makes group 'lf 1 for h4' and ask invited players are they healers and kicking out if 'no' (they should do 'lf 1 healer for h4'), then yes, it's wrong, but when group is bound by GF, no one is making this team. People que as signed roles,ergo promise to be those roles. Healer is not 'dps throwing a heal or two'. Tank in dps gear might be considered still tank as on below 47 tank stats matter less then little, but dirty fighting scoundrel is not a healer.
Generally, ops joined GF que as healer and got kicked for not being healer. plain and simple. least they could do is explain to him why he is kicked.

If I would leave during boss fight simply cause my fiancee asked me she needs something to drink (if she would be badly sick, I would not be playing) , I would not be suprized to hear alot of names coming my direction
forums and guides are gold mine of knowledge. not people who group to do flashpoint.

yes, votekick for player who went for 'brb 2 mins' is rude and ridiculus, but so is expecting special treatment from people who you see first time in your life, and probably won't see them again this year. Would you have the patience to explain to some random commando who by accident joined as healer how to heal? what should be build and skills priority? If heroic 4 can be done with first time healer (excluding sorc/sages) dps geared, all life dps, and probably under geared (rule of thumb), it can also be done with my upgraded every 2 levels geared healer companion.
L55:Sniper,Operative,Juggernaut,Assassin,Marauder, Powertech,Guardian,Commando,Scoundrel

TaylorNova
04.30.2013 , 06:13 AM | #25
Altramar:

I appreciate your points, But I am not really talking about Queues That players have joined. If Players have decided to actually Join a queue For one of these missions, Then, yes, It makes sense to read up on "Flashpoints", Whats expected of you, and wether your class is required, before queuing for something That may not be practicable for newcomers, or lower levels.

Im really directing my comments to Unsolicited requests to join a group, "On the Fly " so to speak.
Sorry for not making it clearer, no offense intended
46 Trooper Vanguard
20 Sith Inquisitor Assassin Spy for
26 Imperial Agent
"I do believe they think I am some kind of god!"

StratoNexus
04.30.2013 , 06:29 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Never_Hesitate View Post
How did you clear content with only healers?
Did you just bore everything to death?
In CoH "healers" were force multipliers. The strongest teams consisted primarily of buff/debuff characters. In short, even though they had low damage on their own, once you got 4+ of them together all improving each other, they could have better DPS than a team that included actual DPS toons and enough survivability to stomp even the hardest of enemies.

That said, the base game was easy enough that no one ever felt like you had to bring that kind of optimal team and in the end most teams ended up following the trinity anyway.

I generally prefer having a role, but at the same time loathe being forced into it. I have an odd relationship with the trinity, preferring it and yet feeling trapped by it.

Most of the content does not require the trinity. Really it is only Hard Modes and Ops that require it (and you can get away with a companion on most Hard Modes).

wolveen
04.30.2013 , 08:07 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by TaylorNova View Post
I know you all talking about Stats here, But The main consideration I believe The OP is making, is The Utter Rudeness and contempt to new members of a group, who may be still finding there feet In group Play.
Yep!
The game told me to join a Flashpoint mission which I did, first time.
It instructed that you click on the icon on near your map and queue up, that was it, that is what I did.
First time group .. bam..vote kicked. Didn't even know what the heck was going on.

I do now but yes it was very frustrating. I guess I have more manners/patience for other new players, new people, new employees, etc.

wolveen
04.30.2013 , 08:15 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by StratoNexus View Post
Most of the content does not require the trinity. Really it is only Hard Modes and Ops that require it (and you can get away with a companion on most Hard Modes).
This is good to hear, paying $155 for a game that you would be locked out of and would not be able experience all the content would be a waste because of poor mechanics. I would just leave it F2P.

I re-created my character over on the RP server hoping it is more 'mature' and helpful on that side. The good and bad is that I have to start all over again but so far it seems like a good decision. I may just have to purchase a month of sub to get a better feel of the game.

I do like it so far but I am still low level

Atramar
04.30.2013 , 08:34 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by wolveen View Post
This is good to hear, paying $155 for a game that you would be locked out of and would not be able experience all the content would be a waste because of poor mechanics. I would just leave it F2P.

I re-created my character over on the RP server hoping it is more 'mature' and helpful on that side. The good and bad is that I have to start all over again but so far it seems like a good decision. I may just have to purchase a month of sub to get a better feel of the game.

I do like it so far but I am still low level
note second part of his sentence. even on more mature RP server, (note that people might 'role play' dark side jerks) you will still be left out of group if they need healer and you are dps, and replace you with companion or a healer.
you were never excluded from any content. you could still que as dps or respec (and learn) healing. for everything Heroic (over level 25) you need heals as mobs do hit. not hard, but unless you have 2 dps with 2 dps companions, good geared and on heroic 2 area where you can actually down mobs before they kill you, which is not the case for most heroic 4 (even on second planet H4 needs a healer, either companion or dedicated player).
So don't expect anything more, just because you changed server.

I'm not rude, just want to avoid some false expectations on your side.

ofcourse guys were wrong with kicking you out with no explanation, they should tell you they need healer and explain your mistake.

TaylorNova
05.01.2013 , 04:32 AM | #30
Its very much, sometimes a steep learning curve, in MROG's when you join almost any group ,even warzone's as a new player/

I January, went into my first WarZone, And was amazed that were ,Not one, But quite a few rotating scenarios, and I had no idea How to go about playing them, I well remember First time, I went into the Warzone that you were supposed to Hold a Turret to fire on the enemy Ship, and vice versa.

When It started, everyone had gone, But, I was still there, thinking, why Can't I jump down into the arena, it was when I clicked a speeder nearby by accident, that I realized, you had to use this to fly into the battle zone.

A small Notice above the speeders saying "use this / It / Fly this to enter the battle", is not that hard to place is it?
I tried nearly every zone to get a feel of how they work for a whole 12 hours, so in a short time, I was playing like a pro, and I do love the warzones,because the skill of either side, is always differant, you never really know how your side is going to fare.

Since then, My New lvl 50 master has taken me into these as a group, (just us two) and it surely shows, thats it who you know sometimes. Under His guidance, I will be learning about flashpoint play in the near future.

But on the question of mods, that I have not understood, I do now, and, I eat my words on my comments about them, last night, My master took me into a Catina in tatooine, where upon he gave me about 40 differant items, all chips, strange looking things which were called enhancements.

The following is for newcomers to understand, so seasoned players,please bare with me.

Ok. It seems that you don't always have to be near a modification station to upgrade your gear, Which I thought you did.
I will take My Recon Carbine weapon as an example: Sorry this is a little off topic, But wanted to put the record straight, that Modifications do have an overwhelming affect on your abilities.

Ok, We started by Right clicking the Cartel Trooper rifle I had been given, I was with equipped with the Recon Carbine.

After right clicking this on inventory it opens a window on the right with the weapon, but it aslo shows slots that are empty. When you roll a mouse over that slot, if you have the item needed, (say a barrel) In your inventory it go highlighted, right click that mod, and it go into the slot in the window opposite as an extra fitting, After that came Another item, which I put into second slot open. The last one, because its a weapon has a crystal, This I was told to replace that for the better purple one, that I had already been given.

Before clicking apply , my master said to roll my mouse over the modded weapon that I was now going to equip, well, you could have knocked me down with a feather, The increase in stats was Mind boggling, Well they were for me.

The results very roughly were.
damage +300
Aim +80
Endurance +100
Cunning +80
Critical rating +60

These is are only a rough stats, because I didn't get much time to take it in, as we had another 7 items to mod, using the same method. All i know is the items used Were cartel Items, which were stated as open, I still have much to learn, But was lucky enough to have a Mentor to spend the time and effort, on how to modify your armour and weapons. It seems this Mk1 augmentation thing is not really necessary until I reach a much higher level.

Its not meant to be a comprehensive guide on upgrading your items, just, If I can learn how to Modify and attach the parts, then so can anybody else. Some extra parts we needed came from a commendation mod Vendor, as I had 40 commendations in my currency tab of my inventory.

Again sorry If this reply is not Holy trinity related, but thought it important, that newcomers should try to get an understanding of basics of modding your stuff, and I for one is extremely grateful to Spoe-Master For his guidance and patience
46 Trooper Vanguard
20 Sith Inquisitor Assassin Spy for
26 Imperial Agent
"I do believe they think I am some kind of god!"