Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lack of available names? (Help needed)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Lack of available names? (Help needed)

amaresch
04.25.2013 , 01:04 AM | #11
Find a theme of words that you like, and plug them into google translate to help generate ideas. Once you find a translated word; do some variances on it to make it look good to you.

For example; My legacy name for one server translates to 'Lingers' My first names are emotions that I also translated to the same language. The first names also relate to whether the character is Light, Neutral, or Dark side. Couldn't use the name Rage, for some reason it was taken . But there are many emotions, and they have variances and synonyms enough to where I could find some great names.

So- Enlightenment Lingers, Cleverness Lingers, Dismay Lingers; and more- That is me!
L'héritage S'Attarde
The Harbinger

vian
04.25.2013 , 01:20 AM | #12
Do not underestimate the value of vile and dreadful puns and allusions in naming your characters. Pick a theme and riff on it. My husband has dibs on subatomic and quantum particles, though.

My method is similar to Lingers's. My main Legacy name is Maris (Latin for " the sea") and most of my alts are vile sea-related puns/references/allusions, in as many languages as I can come up with: Stelae Maris; star of the sea. Verdot Maris: the wine-dark sea. Safira Maris; the deep blue sea. Dulcia Maris; the embracing (sweet) sea. Aaand so on.

If I ever run out of poetic references to the sea, which I don't imagine will happen, I shall fall back on other word plays, or the Ancient and Venerable Sith naming tradition of finding a word that starts with IN (inVader, inSidious) and chopping off the IN. (My Inquisitor is Kwell. One day she will have a warrior compatriot called Diannajones). Just get a dictionary and turn to In--, and the jokes write themselves, I tell you ... er, I mean, there are many fine names.
Two blasters; no waiting!

amaresch
04.25.2013 , 01:41 AM | #13
To add more ideas, here are some characters I've seen across the servers in the past year and more:

Legacy name: Holdthemayo Names: Hamonwheat, Hamonrye
Legacy name: Bagodonuts Names: Imaphatt, Bigjigglin (Male Twi'lek Body type 4, lol)
Legacy name: Trator Names: Perp, Arbit, Cas, Pene (I wouldn't be surprised if there is a Seques Trator, now)
L'héritage S'Attarde
The Harbinger

AlexDougherty
04.25.2013 , 02:53 AM | #14
I have a number of role playing book from Babylon5, plenty of names in those, and people don't usually think of them, and on top of that some of them feel suitable for Star Wars.

Feel free to steal G'kar, T'loth, G'sten, Virr Cotto, Londo Molari, Etc
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

Nefla
04.26.2013 , 08:27 PM | #15
I love making up random names I will make up 2 for every letter, here:

Arien
Avella

Bashka
Bevian

Celania
Cren

Delondra
Davine

Estorica
Esheva

Ferrise
Faralia

Gelevre
Ginis

Hyrun
Hemina

Iverika
Ilora

Jaske
Juleve

Kevra
Kirrie

Lysiria
Lometta

Maranel
Meseca

Nelefer
Nand

Orivine
Oferis

Patra
Pydrien

Quenette
Qye

Ressca
Raviera

Sorinat
Sevetine

Traken
Torinada

Ulivette
Ubae

Veirica
Vollanas

Wyvelen
Wansera

Xullis
Xinifeye

Yara
Yyorina

Zelitra
Zufrie

MelodyofLegends
04.27.2013 , 12:39 AM | #16
try what I did! take a word that has a meaning you like, then tweak it until it resembles a name! here is my process!

I like the word Immortal, Ambrosia is word that means immortal

next just play around with the spelling or composite it with a more normal name. In my case I chose Seina... the end result is my Jedi Sage Ambroseina!
an absolute love that will bring warmth to a frozen world....

Nyanikku
04.27.2013 , 01:21 AM | #17
Dashes are your friends, too. My smuggler is actually her first name - last name since she doesn't share the same surname as my legacy. So that can work if you don't plan on using your legacy name as a surname.

AlrikFassbauer
04.27.2013 , 04:55 AM | #18
I once used to collect names of spammers, too.
Rework them a bit, and you'll have good names !
The only thing I'd advice is : PLease don't use them in online games !
I use them for my Fantasy Short Stories instead.
Another possibility is, to look into other countries.

Seireeni
04.27.2013 , 05:06 AM | #19
Personally I like to come up with a name that would seem nice to my character, and if it's taken, make a little changes to it. Used my vanguard as an example in another thread and I'm going to use it here, too. The name I first thought would be nice was Ranja, but it was taken. Then I started to make small changed to the name and see if I'd find one that's free. Like Renja, Ranaja, Ranjata, Ranata. After a while, my vanguard finally found her name, Ranjana. ^^

FreePrometheus
04.28.2013 , 05:40 AM | #20
I used a combination of two latin words for my sorceror: Vetestas (Vetere: Sorceror, Potestas: Powerful) I just thought "Lord Vetestas" or "Darth Vetestas" would sound good.

I use latin word combinations for most of my names. Its easy to make them sound star warsy with minimal effort.

Hope that helps
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. - Han Solo
my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. - Yoda