Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

High APM = hard to play, low APM = easier to play?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
High APM = hard to play, low APM = easier to play?

paowee
04.24.2013 , 12:36 PM | #1
Is this generally true? We can rephrase it too to something like.. High APM = steeper learning curve compared to a low APM class. What AC did you enjoy playing despite how "easy" or "hard" it is o play? And also which spec do you think has the highest APM requirements in the game right now?
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records

Saferai
04.24.2013 , 12:39 PM | #2
High apm in this game is in the mid 40s, thats like silver league in any rts game. The skill cap in an mmo is far too low for apm to matter truthfully.

paowee
04.24.2013 , 12:45 PM | #3
I see
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records

KeyboardNinja
04.24.2013 , 12:52 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by paowee View Post
Is this generally true? We can rephrase it too to something like.. High APM = steeper learning curve compared to a low APM class. What AC did you enjoy playing despite how "easy" or "hard" it is o play? And also which spec do you think has the highest APM requirements in the game right now?
The highest APM spec in the game is Combat Sentinel/Carnage Marauder. There, you're basically talking about an APM in the high 40s, sometimes even low 50s. Post-2.0 Watchman/Annihilation is pretty high too (low 40s). While it can feel a bit frenetic to play Combat/Carnage, I don't think it's particularly hard. By comparison, Balance Shadows/Madness Assassins pre-2.0 had the most complex priority queue in the game by a wide margin and were very difficult to play well, but an APM only in the high 30s. Hybrid Gunslingers/Snipers have a fairly straightforward priority queue, but a lot of split-second decisions and an absurdly punishing energy mechanic. I would consider my Hybrid Sniper to be the most difficult of all my characters to play, but my APM is generally in the low 30s.

Honestly, I don't think there's much of a correlation between APM and difficulty in this game. I use APM primarily as a metric to tell if a DPS of a known spec is making timing mistakes or delaying abilities. If I know a spec, I know what it's APM *should* be on a certain fight, and so I can make judgements from there. APM isn't even remotely useful comparing *between* specs.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dragonslayer on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (combat sentinel) Nimri (df scoundrel)
Averith (hybrid sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (jugg tank) Effek (ap powertech)

ZeroPlus
04.24.2013 , 05:23 PM | #5
What is "APM" in this context?

(Only APM I know is Advanced Power Management. )
If you seek answers, you must always ask questions. - Master Vandar Tokare.

[Suggestion] Add another Blaster Pistol with the "A-300 Heavy Sonic Needler" model = DONE!

Wrthlessnoob
04.24.2013 , 09:07 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by ZeroPlus View Post
What is "APM" in this context?

(Only APM I know is Advanced Power Management. )
Actions per minute
Jedi Covenant
Bedin, Auf, Csillian, Genericjeditwat, Ex-imperial
Exacerbated, Genericsithtwat, Mandomerc, Erg, Sub-rosa

Infalliable
04.24.2013 , 11:37 PM | #7
Apm is really just a metric of how many long cast time abilities the class has (unless your really terrible). The gcd is long enough apm isn't a useful metric of a player or class. It's not like an rts where your doing multiple things per second.

Prior to 2.0, you were pretty much limited to about 40 apm based on the gcd, plus a couple off gcd skills added in. So a max of around 45. That's fairly pedestrian when you're talking about gaming, and a fraction of what good Starcraft players do. 2.0 upped the potential max for this game, but nobody stacks alacrity that much.

Saferai
04.25.2013 , 12:48 AM | #8
To give you an idea for comparison in sc/sc2 EAPM (effective apm, ie spamming not counting) using real time and not the slighlty faster game time averages from 200-250 at the professional level with the very high players approaching 300. Making the correct decision for your upcoming gcd is fairly easy in the 1.3-1.7 gcd window alacrity and lag depending.

Rogue in WoW has a 1 second GCD. At times like the end of WotLK where the stat budget was super inflated with tons of haste being available playing a mut rogue with a sub 1 second gcd was very rewarding. I always wished MMOs would move towards a 1 second gcd with more abilities off the GCD to bring up the skill cap for players. Sadly it seems the industry standard is the exact opposite =/

Uvirith
04.25.2013 , 02:46 AM | #9
apm in mmo´s is not much of an issue, because of the global cooldown. if youre able to press one button every 1,5 seconds while moving your character, youre pretty much on the highest end of the spectrum

ZeroPlus
04.25.2013 , 03:11 AM | #10
Actions per minute!

Thanks for taking the time to explain. This whole conversation suddenly made a lot more sense.
If you seek answers, you must always ask questions. - Master Vandar Tokare.

[Suggestion] Add another Blaster Pistol with the "A-300 Heavy Sonic Needler" model = DONE!