Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

My problem with group finder and how to fix it.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
My problem with group finder and how to fix it.

AlexDougherty
04.24.2013 , 02:52 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Machine-Elf View Post
Oh, really? Do tell.
It's the players who are skipping the dialogue, group finder just finds you a group, it is the people in the group who don't want to sit through the dialogue (admittedly because they've done the FP before) and even if you alter the mechanics of the FP or add a tick box for people who want to skip dialogue(to group finder), it's the people who are going to want to speed things up.

Basically it's people who are messing things up, and if you alter things they will just find a new creative way to mess it up for you (not that I'm against your idea, just I'm aware of the nature of the problem).
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

Machine-Elf
04.24.2013 , 02:56 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexDougherty View Post
It's the players who are skipping the dialogue, group finder just finds you a group, it is the people in the group who don't want to sit through the dialogue (admittedly because they've done the FP before) and even if you alter the mechanics of the FP or add a tick box for people who want to skip dialogue(to group finder), it's the people who are going to want to speed things up.

Basically it's people who are messing things up, and if you alter things they will just find a new creative way to mess it up for you (not that I'm against your idea, just I'm aware of the nature of the problem).
This is not what I'm referring to. Please re-read the original post.

sumuji
04.24.2013 , 06:47 AM | #23
Won't happen. After doing away with things like Boarding Party before The Foundry you can see they want people to pay attention to the story ih they want but they won't force it.

DarthGile
04.24.2013 , 07:45 AM | #24
I'm assuming the new players are questing or waiting for a PvP queue on the fleet. Then they see the droid with a quest icon and its title is "Flashpoint Courier". The droid tells them about immediate assistance needed. They travel to where the droid tells them to go and they speak to Satele/Malgus.

Even with the group finder, Bioware still places those "intro droids" everywhere. It's up to the player to acknowledge them, and go to where the droid tells them to go before queuing for the FP. If they ignore it, it's on them. I certainly don't expect Bioware to force a Malgus/Satele cutscene the second the group is formed. That would require transporting you directly outside the FP. The whole point is being able to bring you into the instance, and when you're done, transport you directly outside it or back to where you were.

LasherC
04.24.2013 , 07:50 AM | #25
While I agree that perhaps there should be more effort put into directing players towards the conversations, I strongly disagree with forcing them to do the instance without group finder the first time. Some people may not care about the conversations at all, and a certain playstyle should not be forced upon them if there is no effect on other players.

LordArtemis
04.24.2013 , 07:54 AM | #26
I think they need to add two things to the system.

1) Choose secondary role

The ability to mark a secondary role you are willing to fill. This way you can match up better to available group needs in the system. This could be especially important if they ever add a dual spec option.

2) Ability to toggle a "Story Mode" item when you que.

This will let others know you intend to experience the full story. Using that option causes the system to try and match you to other players that have also chosen that option.

DarthGile
04.24.2013 , 08:02 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post

1) Choose secondary role

The ability to mark a secondary role you are willing to fill. This way you can match up better to available group needs in the system. This could be especially important if they ever add a dual spec option.

This will let others know you intend to experience the full story. Using that option causes the system to try and match you to other players that have also chosen that option.
The secondary role is added already (in a sense). If you queue for DPS and Tank and there's a pending group in the finder looking for a tank, even if there was a "secondary" option that lowered the priority for one role, the finder would still grab you and throw you in as a tank. As for dual specs.. least we have the field respec legacy perk. Sure it's not the same, but it's better than nothing.. and if you know your specs, it takes less than a few minutes to set up the spec and hotkeys. If you're the healer or tank, I'm sure the group won't mind waiting for you to respec.

As for the second idea. Brilliant idea. So many times have I joined a group, only to find out I was the only one there to experience the story of it. You're a level 11 character and this is your first character of the opposite faction. It's new to you... and at the first cutscene, you have two players spamming "SPACEBARRR!! CMON!!" Uhh.. sorry for wanting to experience content I'm paying $15/month for? Having this as a checkbox is a great great idea.

LordArtemis
04.24.2013 , 08:07 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthGile View Post
The secondary role is added already (in a sense). If you queue for DPS and Tank and there's a pending group in the finder looking for a tank, even if there was a "secondary" option that lowered the priority for one role, the finder would still grab you and throw you in as a tank. As for dual specs.. least we have the field respec legacy perk. Sure it's not the same, but it's better than nothing.. and if you know your specs, it takes less than a few minutes to set up the spec and hotkeys. If you're the healer or tank, I'm sure the group won't mind waiting for you to respec.

As for the second idea. Brilliant idea. So many times have I joined a group, only to find out I was the only one there to experience the story of it. You're a level 11 character and this is your first character of the opposite faction. It's new to you... and at the first cutscene, you have two players spamming "SPACEBARRR!! CMON!!" Uhh.. sorry for wanting to experience content I'm paying $15/month for? Having this as a checkbox is a great great idea.

Thanks. I've been suggesting the latter for a while. This way folks that want to experience the story can do so with like minded individuals without harassment. By the same token, those that have run the FP many many times can all skip over the story content as a group. I think it would work for both sides, especially if the group finder qued based on the choice.

Kilora
04.24.2013 , 08:08 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Machine-Elf View Post
So my suggestion is to make it so the only way players can unlock flashpoints in group finder is by running them the traditional way at least once per character. In other words, finding a group via general chat, then going down to the holoterminals in the fleets' lower decks to get the respective FP sit-reps from the faction leaders, the way we used to. And the great thing is, not only would this fix the aforementioned problems, players would also get the added benefit of racking up on the social points which are awarded for going about things in this manner.
Absolutely not.

Why? I don't want it. Only reason I need :-D

In all seriousness, I will ALWAYS disagree with adding "requirements" like this into the game. The only point of the requirement is to enforce your preferred playstyle on other people.

If you care about playing a certain way -- it is YOUR responsibility to figure out how to play that way. You can easily look up what the "order" is, and common sense would tell you that a random group finder (when queueing up for multiple options) won't guarantee it in order.

Ontop of that -- the majority of current players have done the FPs at least once on at least one character. I'm NOT willing to deal with that garbage on my alts. I've already done it -- the only reason for my doing FPs is for fun and gear.

TL;DR -- Disagree. You'd be forcing people with different playstyles to fall into line with your preferred playstyle.

Kilora
04.24.2013 , 08:13 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post

1) Choose secondary role

Just wanted to say -- brilliant idea for #2! I agree with an option like that. It would be excellent -- so long as no one complained about queue times, or could somehow say "ONLY 'Story Mode' or Preference to 'Story Mode'" -- that way you won't be stuck waiting for 2 hours, only to queue again without 'Story Mode' and wait another 2 hours.

As for #1 -- you can already do this. Unless I'm misunderstanding you. . .

On my Sorc Healer -- I always queue as BOTH Healer and Damage. Rarely do I ever get chosen for DPS, but it has happened. Field respec is close enough to Dual Spec that I'm fine with not seeing a "dual spec" anytime soon. Once you get the hang of switching, it takes very little time.

Hopefully they'll see that recommendation! I'm going to quote it in a PM as well, to try and toss it at them more