Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A question for veteran MMOers...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
A question for veteran MMOers...

NasherUK
04.19.2013 , 12:00 PM | #21
From experience of cross realm crap in other MMOs, it makes little difference. Because the ratio of tanks/healers/dps is still about the same on every server. All it means is you have 1000 dps without a tank or healer, instead of 100...

It might help PVP, but the down side is cross server groups tend to lower the quality of the community (it pretty much ruined WOW's), because some servers are full of scum and your forced to put up with them, which is worse.

TheBBP
04.19.2013 , 12:09 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by SW_display_name View Post
Again: being good at DPS is no easier or harder than being good at tanking or healing. They require different mindsets and skill sets, so one role may seem easier to a person than another. But doing good DPS is not 'easy'.

You are basically saying, "playing SWTOR is easy". Which may be a fair assessment, but that isn't specific to DPS. It's just an easy prejudice people sling around in MMOs.

In many situations, it's actually easier to do good tanking or good healing. DPS is "always on" any time a DPS isn't performing at full capacity, they're not doing their job as well as possible. Whereas during lull phases or low-damage phases a tank/healer can practically go AFK without hurting anything.
No matter how you try to pretty it up, being DPS is very easy work compared to the responsibility of tanking and healing. That is not saying anything bad about folks who choose to DPS for a main character. Many don't choose DPS because that is all that they can handle. But it goes without saying that there are a lot of players who DPS because it is easy and does not require the level of responsibility as healing or tanking.
Master No'ja Vace -The Ebon Hawk Server
Co-Leader, The Way of the Maker - Family style Christian guild.

SW_display_name
04.19.2013 , 12:13 PM | #23
You are not substantiating your claims at all. You're just saying, "I say this about DPS. Therefore, it is true".

Well, I say it is not true. I've played all 3 roles in SWTOR and in other MMOs. "Responsibility" does not equate to "difficulty" because responsibility is an issue which gradually relaxes as:
  • you become familiar with the content
  • you become familiar with what instructions to give others
  • you become familiar with the people you're working with

One role or another may "spike" in difficulty during initial learning phases, but once everyone understands what's going on, the difficulty of executing any given role well more-or-less balances out.

Jeweledleah
04.19.2013 , 12:16 PM | #24
You are not substantiating your claims at all. You're just saying, "I say this about DPS. Therefore, it is true".

Well, I say it is not true. I've played all 3 roles in SWTOR and in other MMOs. "Responsibility" does not equate to "difficulty" because responsibility is an issue which gradually relaxes as:

One role or another may "spike" in difficulty during initial learning phases, but once everyone understands what's going on, the difficulty of executing any given role well more-or-less balances out.
true. however.

dps making mistakes is not usually as deadly as tank/healer making mistakes. that said... in TOR at least dps when played properly definitely has more responsibility then in some of the other games I played.

CC is used. interrupts are more important. and its dps's job to pick up straggler mobs and kill them.

TheBBP
04.19.2013 , 12:22 PM | #25

I am sorry that I have seemed to draw your ire. I have nothing against DPSers. My co-main is a Commando who can burn things down with the best of them. That is the character that I love to play when I want to take it easy in an Op or a FP. It doesn't take from the fact that DPS is an easier role. It takes more skill to keep aggro than it does to spam damage abilities at a single or AOE targets. It also takes more skill to keep a team of players healed than it does to keep from drawing aggro.

I am not slighting DPSers. I am offering an explanation as to why there are so many of them.
Master No'ja Vace -The Ebon Hawk Server
Co-Leader, The Way of the Maker - Family style Christian guild.

caveslug
04.19.2013 , 12:30 PM | #26
Again: being good at DPS is no easier or harder than being good at tanking or healing. They require different mindsets and skill sets, so one role may seem easier to a person than another. But doing good DPS is not 'easy'.

You are basically saying, "playing SWTOR is easy". Which may be a fair assessment, but that isn't specific to DPS. It's just an easy prejudice people sling around in MMOs.

In many situations, it's actually easier to do good tanking or good healing. DPS is "always on" any time a DPS isn't performing at full capacity, they're not doing their job as well as possible. Whereas during lull phases or low-damage phases a tank/healer can practically go AFK without hurting anything.
I have yet to see a hard dps class in this game, and if you're talking about a group with everyone on vent. over gearing a OP or Flashpoint, its easy for all of them.

In a PuG group, 9 out of 10 times tanks and healers are working at 110% because OF the dps.
If anyone has it "hard" in this game its healers, that have to use this clunky UI to heal and cleanse with.
#1 reply to all PvP threads.....L2P

LarryRow
04.19.2013 , 12:48 PM | #27
I think people don't tank because leveling and doing dailies as a tank is just painful. I usually do group content as a tank, and really enjoy it, but hell if I'm going to slog through 90 different Makeb Mesas as a tank. I always respec and regear to dps, but not everyone has the gear for that.

Meanwhile, healers can easily respec without worrying about gear, since all their stats (minus accuracy) are useful for both roles.
A classic sig that should not be lost:
Quote:
Stunned , pew pew hack slash , stunned , running backward circles, stunned cannot move, pew pew, break stun, 30 second snare, wha?!?!!? stunned, knockdown, ...less stun more pew pew and hacknslash please.

Jeweledleah
04.19.2013 , 12:54 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by LarryRow View Post
I think people don't tank because leveling and doing dailies as a tank is just painful. I usually do group content as a tank, and really enjoy it, but hell if I'm going to slog through 90 different Makeb Mesas as a tank. I always respec and regear to dps, but not everyone has the gear for that.

Meanwhile, healers can easily respec without worrying about gear, since all their stats (minus accuracy) are useful for both roles.
huh... I actually prefer to level as a tank, personally. I tried going dps and just... sooo squishy. it might take me longer to kill things, but I don't die, my companion doesn't die and it just feels almost more relaxing and safe. even if I don't plan on tanking on that particular character, I still level in tank spec.

same with healing characters - I just grab a tanking companion and go to town. only respec to dps when people I'm grouping with need dps rather then healer. (yes that happens)

to each their own I guess

BrianDavion
04.19.2013 , 01:16 PM | #29
cross server queing would also DRAMATICLY increase Ninja looting

SystemProcess
04.19.2013 , 01:24 PM | #30
Would hardly effect the queue times for reasons listed in this topic already. My main issue with cross-server play is that it's harder to deal with people not on your server. You have license to be an idiot and get no repercussions for it because you're likely grouping with people who you'll never see again or don't know your friends, and that's no bueno. That being said, I saw it happen to WoW, and if it happens here I'm not going to die, but I definitely would prefer to keep it server unique.

PvE & PvP.
Alis'hir'altara - Chiss Operative
Naznys Dak-ma - Echani Assassin - Sphere of Mysteries
Darth Valmaxian Vercetti - Human Marauder - Sphere of Technology

The Vercetti Legacy