Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A question for veteran MMOers...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
A question for veteran MMOers...

Machine-Elf
04.19.2013 , 08:53 AM | #1
Would the queue time in SWTOR be practically non-existent -- as in, instantaneous -- if it were done cross-server?

alltrueist
04.19.2013 , 08:56 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Machine-Elf View Post
Would the queue time in SWTOR be practically non-existent -- as in, instantaneous -- if it were done cross-server?
It might lower it, but you're still bottlenecked by having too many DPS players and not enough Tanks or Healers.

Akash
04.19.2013 , 09:00 AM | #3
Exactly. The bottleneck seems to be at the tank position. I've been playing both tanks and healers the past few weeks to try and get a feel for exactly which role is in the most demand and I have to say it's the tanks. Tanks are really an instant que for me, my healer can take a few minutes, my DPS can go hours without a que.
Memnon - 50 Commando ~ Untagonis - 50 Juggs
Adepta - 50 Sniper ~ Khatovar - 50 Sin ~ Varpaal - Mid level Sin
Antagonis - Mid level Operative ~ Jenize - Mid level Sentinel
Osanobua - Mid level Merc ~ Ka'Tahar - Mid level Juggs

Jeweledleah
04.19.2013 , 09:06 AM | #4
it might make queues slightly shorter during off hours, since it would combine time zones, but it wouldn't overall shorten wait times.

as a healer, I tend to get either fast or instant pops during prime time. in off times, it may take 10-15 minutes which incidentally, is no different from my experiences in WoW. tank gets instant queues during prime time, faster, but not always during off time, because sometimes, I get bottlenecked via healer.

so my conclusion? no thanks to cross server queues, because they won't bring all that much improvement, but they will over time encourage more people to be ******s in groups, because ignore will not have as much effect on their queue times anymore, like it can now

KyaniteD
04.19.2013 , 09:14 AM | #5
Yeah, the main problem is the ratio between the roles that are queuing. The ratio Tank : Heals : DPS is probably quite similar on all servers, so making group finder queues cross-server won't change much, if anything.

Example:

[Server A] Tank : Heal : DPS - 1 : 2 : 5
[Server B] Tank : Heal : DPS - 2 : 3 : 12 (1: 1.5 : 6)
[Server C] Tank : Heal : DPS - 2 : 4 : 9 (1 : 2 : 4.5)

Would give you a cross-server ratio of 5 : 9 : 26 (1 : 1.8 : 5.2)

(Group finder assembles groups in ratio 1 : 1 : 2)

Quote: Originally Posted by Jeweledleah View Post
because they won't bring all that much improvement, but they will over time encourage more people to be ******s in groups, because ignore will not have as much effect on their queue times anymore, like it can now
Excellent point. Cross-server group finder would have to come with other features being cross-server, too.
Darkvs.Light:
Es scheppert im Vermächtnis!

D'rin Schepperts Imma Schepperts Morgan Schepperts Leis' Schepperts VS.
Nie Schepperts Nu Schepperts Glei'Schepperts Jetz'Schepperts

Warrgames
04.19.2013 , 09:27 AM | #6
Not going to help.

Offering tanks and healers a bonus is the only way to shorten the queue.

You could be nice to tank and healer you group with so they want group with you again.

TheBBP
04.19.2013 , 09:34 AM | #7
No matter how many people you pour into the pot, there will always be DPS in longer waits for queues.
Crosswire - Republic Commando
Commander - The Way of the Maker Christian/Family-rated Guild
Ebon Hawk

JPryde
04.19.2013 , 09:39 AM | #8
Cross server queues would only help in any way, if there were at least one server, where Tanks actually need to wait till they can go. As long as tanks always get instant invites, a cross server queue will not solve any problem (but create some).
~~~ Macht Wächter ~~~
Vanjervalis Chain
Jhoira, Skarjis, Trântor, Ric-Xano, Sabri-torina, Tir-za, Shaina ...
We do not brake for Wookiees !

Andryah
04.19.2013 , 09:45 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Machine-Elf View Post
It might present a marginal improvement (though I doubt it, at present server activity levels)... but it brings it's own issues to the table. Not worth the investment of effort IMO. Cross-server does not address class balance (as has been pointed out above) it only addresses small populations on servers being aggregated for more pops in the queue (which is why WoW added cross server realm play.. to hide how dead many of their servers are without closing and consolidating servers).
"We don't see the world as it is. We see the world as WE are." ~Anais Nin

Kahotep
04.19.2013 , 10:15 AM | #10
I'm wondering if the shortage of tanks is made worse by SWTOR's relatively small group size. 4 players per group is very low and means that we are relying on one quarter of the people queuing being able and willing to tank. Compare that with a group size of 6, say. If we assume that encounters are balanced to need one tank per group, a group size of 6 would have meant that the tank shortage would be less of a problem.