Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What was the point of lvls 1-50?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
What was the point of lvls 1-50?

thief_of_words
04.19.2013 , 07:12 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Starglitter View Post
Mmm...

Interesting thread, but if remember my Star Wars movies, don't the Empire actually won? But from the inside. After Aineken turned sides, after all the Jedi's were jerks to him, I thought he went into a killing spree and nearly, pretty much exterminated most of the Jedi's. Sure Palpatine was killed, but I am sure there are replacements online, and the rebels only managed a limited victory, but the Republic as it was did fall.

So perhaps at this time, the Empire is not doing well, but ultimately the Republic does go down from within.

Sue
All these events you speak of, concerning Anakin, the Republic, the Empire and Palpatine, take place thousands of years after this game. In the between time, the Sith Empire falls, the Rule of Two is instituted and the Republic prospers. A sithlord then takes control of the Republic and names it the First Galactic Empire. This isn't the Sith Empire. This Empire is eventually brought down by an armed uprising of its own citizens.

The Empire loses this war.

chimex
04.19.2013 , 07:22 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by jedlosson View Post
well, empire might be losing the story-part of the game, but look at the bright side - for every pvp warzone the republic wins, the empire has 7 victories.

not to mention that we cannot win when republic has gunslingers and scoundrels... They can one shot any sith lord... Just look at what they did on tatooine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...8hdzxkuk4#t=9s
lol!
The Progenitor (RP): Shazmi:<Crimson Moon>

Aries_cz
04.19.2013 , 07:31 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Alavastre View Post
I highly doubt anyone will win or lose the war during this game. It will probably be years after SWTOR ends, and they'll come out with a book revealing what happens.

The Republic starts out strong, 1-50
But then Empire sorts itself out and unifies 50-55.
The Emperor comes back, and the Empire will basically kick the Republics butt
Only for in the end the Republic to swoop in and win.

In lore, wasn't there one time when the Empire actually takes over the galaxy (other than Palpatine)? I thought there was, but maybe I'm wrong on that. Don't know if it would be this time or not.
Actually, it is the other way around
Empire starts out as strong and unified in their conquest of the galaxy, while Republic is still recovering from losses on Coruscant and other planets, even tough that was over a decade ago. When the game starts, things slowly start to tilt in Republic's favor, until they basically win by the end of Act 3 (spoilers list both Republic and Imperial actions that affect the war)
Act 1
Spoiler

Act 2
Spoiler

Act 3
Spoiler
Supreme Commander of all riots yet to come
Without the darkness, how would we recognize the light?
Aries, admin of Czech/Slovak fansite SW-TOR.cz
Check out my story videos or support me by clicking my Referral Link

Tommot
04.19.2013 , 07:33 AM | #24
Spoilers for Republic side ending on Makeb

Next expansion, Republic will be losing because of
Spoiler

If not that, then (spoilers for Knight/Warrior ending),
Spoiler

Or it could be because of something completely different. Regardless, I really dont think these are the "end times" for the Empire. The Empire just needs a chance to "Strike Back"
Roswin - 50 Jedi Sentinel | Vaelin - 50 Sith Juggernaut | Kordis - 50 Sith Marauder | Vaelis - 50 Sith Assassin | Tylus - 50 Sniper
| Vint - 43 Mercenary | Kiden - 35 Vangaurd | Skavic - 22 Jedi Sage |

Lung_Tien_Lien
04.19.2013 , 07:36 AM | #25
I'm not surprised. Half the time it feels like I'm fighting the Empire when playing an Imperial character as opposed to the Republic. Frankly, I'm surprised the Empire hasn't collapsed in on itself yet with the amount of infighting going on. That said, the storylines and interactions are way more fun than the Republic ones (from what I've seen ).

Besides, would you really want the Empire to win? BW did a good job of creating sympathetic characters for each storyline, but realistically it would be people like Darth Baras who'd end up being in charge and... well.

astrobearx
04.19.2013 , 07:40 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by TyrKartelos View Post
As an Empire player I feel very distraught over the Makeb expansion. You see, I saved Balmorra, Taris, Hoth and a whole bunch of other planets....now we are losing the war? What a waste of time...
come on OP, it is destined for the empire to lost via the original trilogy movies

Alavastre
04.19.2013 , 07:45 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Aries_cz View Post
Actually, it is the other way around
Empire starts out as strong and unified in their conquest of the galaxy, while Republic is still recovering from losses on Coruscant and other planets, even tough that was over a decade ago. When the game starts, things slowly start to tilt in Republic's favor, until they basically win by the end of Act 3 (spoilers list both Republic and Imperial actions that affect the war)
Act 1
Spoiler

Act 2
Spoiler

Act 3
Spoiler
Yeah, I'm just talking from the end of level 50 forward. You're right in the entirety of the war however.
Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

Vandicus
04.19.2013 , 07:47 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Alavastre View Post
I highly doubt anyone will win or lose the war during this game. It will probably be years after SWTOR ends, and they'll come out with a book revealing what happens.

The Republic starts out strong, 1-50
But then Empire sorts itself out and unifies 50-55.
The Emperor comes back, and the Empire will basically kick the Republics butt
Only for in the end the Republic to swoop in and win.

In lore, wasn't there one time when the Empire actually takes over the galaxy (other than Palpatine)? I thought there was, but maybe I'm wrong on that. Don't know if it would be this time or not.
When the Emperor comes back, he's more likely to be at war with the Empire than anything else.

Anyways, the Empire would be winning the war if it weren't for "insert Sith infighting here" in most SW eras. The same is true for this game. Having played both sides, I'd say the Empire came out ahead with Balmorra for the time being(the Republic has not held it nearly as long as the Empire, meaning they've had less droids built from it for the war effort, plus they lost a few systems when it was revealed they were violating the treaty there, so this is a potentially long term Republic victory but for the time being Balmorra benefited the Empire more), won a military but not a long-term strategic victory on Taris, tied for Nar Shadda, tied for Quesh, tied for Tatooine, lost the planet but gained an advantage over the Republic on Hoth(the intent there to cause maximum damage with minimum resources), won on Voss, came out ahead on Corellia(Corellia is devastated and there's no clear indication of either side taking extraordinarily higher losses), won on Belsavis, and wins on Ilum. However, the victory on Voss and Ilum both turn out negatives, as does the victory on Belsavis. The Voss majority (Ignoring the small group involved in a certain class storyline, that's not the Voss majority) end up fighting against the Empire and joining Emperor Malgus, the crystals the Empire won on Ilum are used up by Malgus, again, against the Empire, the Dread Masters have turned on the Empire and stolen a substantial portion of their forces(meaning even in winning at Denova, the Empire loses a large force), not to mention the loss of nearly the entire Dark Council over the course of the game.

On a side note, its really unclear what happens to Alderaan. I suspect civil war continues as both the Imperial and Republic supported heirs try to claim the throne.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

GuruVII
04.19.2013 , 08:26 AM | #29
Quote:
Having played both sides, I'd say the Empire came out ahead with Balmorra for the time being(the Republic has not held it nearly as long as the Empire, meaning they've had less droids built from it for the war effort, plus they lost a few systems when it was revealed they were violating the treaty there, so this is a potentially long term Republic victory but for the time being Balmorra benefited the Empire more)
Spoiler

Quote:
lost the planet but gained an advantage over the Republic on Hoth
Spoiler

Quote:
won on Voss
Spoiler

Quote:
came out ahead on Corellia (Corellia is devastated and there's no clear indication of either side taking extraordinarily higher losses),
Spoiler

So yea, Republic winning... not surprising.

Kubernetic
04.19.2013 , 08:38 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by TyrKartelos View Post
As an Empire player I feel very distraught over the Makeb expansion. You see, I saved Balmorra, Taris, Hoth and a whole bunch of other planets....now we are losing the war? What a waste of time...
The same point as the first 50 screens in Centipede.
Tekay —— En-ki —— Tékay —— Hassle —— Jaksen
Explorer (80%) • Killer (53%) • Socializer (47%) • Achiever (20%)
Excited Star Citizen — But ready to resubscribe when and if...