Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Give more credits to the dps

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Give more credits to the dps

Alavastre
04.19.2013 , 05:44 AM | #11
It seems harder to tank on this game than others. But I know the problem. I've done heals and dps and encountered that exact problem.

A lot of the time, I have to waste energy on the adds instead of the boss. But it is what it is. If people were more perceptive they would know that. It is hard to notice when you're focused on the fight however.

But we salute you for doing your duty.
Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. Thomas Jefferson

Cleet_Xia
04.19.2013 , 06:43 AM | #12
You did good! Kudos!

It's not fun to heal 4 targets, but with mobs on you, it's impossible to heal anyone but yourself.

If a tank is telling you to attack the elite with them on a trash pull with weaks & strongs, they don't know how to tank. They should be getting in a quick hit on the elite & then switching to a strong. While they do that - you should be burning up the weaks. And by the time you get done with the weaks, the tank should have control of all the remaining mobs. At that time, you would attack the same target as the tank.

If it's elites + strongs + weaks - hit the weaks first, then the strongs, then the tanked target
if it's strongs + weaks - hit the weaks first then the tanked target
If it's a pack of equal mobs - hit the same target as the tank. (unless its a pack of weaks - in that case spam AoE)
~Master Telagtun Telag of Lord Calypho~

Jilisipone
04.19.2013 , 07:40 AM | #13
Tanking in SWTOR is a little different than in other MMOs. While yes, if the tank can easily gather up 100% of the mobs for AoEing, that is what they should do. However, most pulls consist of a group of varying strength mobs (normal, strong AKA silver, elite AKA gold, and/or champion) spread out to the point of not easily being grouped up...especially since 80% of the mobs in this game are ranged.

It is the tanks primary responsibility to collect and hold the attention of the mobs in order of strength from the strongest to the weakest. Primarily concentrating on Golds and Silvers, and grabbing any normal that they easily can as well. It is the DPS's responsibility to kill the mobs in order of strength from the weakest to the strongest; killing normals first (usually one or two shotted), then progressing to silver and then gold mobs.

DPS that immediately start focus firing the gold mob to kill them first are making the pulls much harder than they need to be. First off they are making the tank work 2x as hard to hold agro while they are also trying to grab "stragglers". Second off, they are causing everyone to take more damage overall by not killing the quick mobs first.

NPC damage output does not scale the same way their Hit Points do in this game. While a normal mob will generally only have about 30-40% of the hit points of a silver mob...they still do 70-80% of the amount of damage a silver mob does. The same holds true for elites vs strongs. So getting rid of the lowest hit point mobs fastest greatly reduces the amount of damage done.

I always give kudos to good DPS in any PuG groups I tank for. Unfortunately I tend to see more dps that do not understand the kill order in this game and focus fire the strongest mobs first, because that is the way many other MMOs are designed (normal/weak mobs in those games do next to no damage and are usually saved until the very end).

In short:

It is the healers job to keep everyone alive.
It is the tanks job to keep gold and silver mobs off of the rest of the group.
It is the DPS job to kill normal mobs before moving onto stronger mobs, and thus keeping them off the healer.

FearMyPower
04.19.2013 , 11:33 AM | #14
Hmmmm...I do both..tank and heals...

The other posters are correct. Tanking is def different in star wars than it is in other games, a fact that i am still getting used to...

I am assuming by what i read from the original poster that the tank jumped in but never communicated his intentions of skipping some of the mobs? Please correct me if i am wrong. Now, if this is what happened, and you did what you said that you did, then by all means, you can dps for me anytime. I have such a time when i am trying to heal and the mobs are all over me...i am trying to do everything i can (using my spells to hide myself, running to the tank).

The problem with DPS, is that they are a dime a dozen and yes you can get alot of bad dps groups, who just run in, think like the incredible hulk and just smash everything in sight..But there are good dps, just too far and between..

As a healer, i have an advantage in that i am in the background (most of the time) so i tend to concentrate on how the tank and the dps are doing their jobs and i reall keep note of how the tank is able to hold aggro, how the dps is taking care of the lightweight mobs. can't speak for other players, but my thinking is this as a healer...

Tank - To me, (assuming the tank knows the fp AND knows what he/she is doing) is the pace setter of the group. Not me, not the dps. i go when he goes and i follow instructions if needed accordingly. I hope that the tank will be thee communicator for the group.i expect him/her to mark targets if need be and i expect that this is the toon that will be healing most of the time. However, i have no problem helping people who are new to tanking.

DPS - I expect them simply to do their jobs. I HOPE that they are paying attention and can keep heat off of me so that i can do my job. Now, i have had good dps who will do that..heck i even had a dps who was off healing for me when my energy was too low to heal. The one thing that bothers me is when they take aggro of f the tank. Now, most people say "Well, the tank should learn to aggro"..to me, if the mob is aggroing you, help the tank by stop damaging until he/she can get aggro back.

Healer - for any healer, myself included, it's a dream when you are in in a group (which i was yesterday) and barely had to heal the dps at all. Sure, we heal anyone, but the 2 dps, i noticed were very careful and deliberate in how they were attacking mobs which helped me a great deal by making my job easier...

So, when you are running with dps and they are good, give them kudos..much kudos.

Toat
04.19.2013 , 11:46 AM | #15
so...you're decribing bads...why give them a second thought?

The Zimco Legacy
CE

Drebs
04.19.2013 , 11:49 AM | #16
As a DPS, I'd love to have more credits, but you may want to change your title to say credit, which is what I think you mean.

Toat
04.19.2013 , 12:16 PM | #17
I think he's litterally saying dps should get a credit bonus for queueing in lfg.
God these forums are dead.

The Zimco Legacy
CE

branmakmuffin
04.19.2013 , 12:17 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by zzoorrzz View Post
The problem generally is a lack of communication in the actual instance.
Bingo. Bad communication. That and 1 joker who thinks he can do it all (the DPSer who tries to tank, the tank or healer who wants to DPS) and it's all over if the encounter is a challenging one.

I'll never understand why people try to claim they can do an awesome job off-role. Sure, DPS classes can kind of "tank via DPS," and if for some reason that's the group's only option then sure, go for it. But in every game I see people claiming "I can tank as well with my DPS class as most others can with a tank class" or "My tank is an awesome DPSer." I have no doubt there are Mercenary/Commando players who think they can, and try to, do it all in a group. Then they find everyone but them is dead because the Merc/Commando was splitting his attention and efforts and then they're dead, too.

Quote: Originally Posted by FearMyPower View Post
The other posters are correct. Tanking is def different in star wars than it is in other games,
How? "Tank gets the boss' attention" is pretty much how it works in every game.

scraycroft
04.19.2013 , 02:57 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by walogen View Post

I think i'm doing the right thing (ergo the title), but if anyone think I'm wrong, I'm open to suggestion.
You're doing what any competent DPS should do. Yes it is always much easier to heal you and the Tank than myself and the Tank. If the Healer didn't appreciate what you were doing then that's a shame.
Malystriz PuffinStuff
The Bastion
Quote: Originally Posted by ChewyYui View Post
They added alacrity to the gear so you can taunt things faster and accuracy is there so the fast taunts don't miss, fly off and taunt a tree or something.

Taleek
04.19.2013 , 03:21 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by branmakmuffin View Post
Bingo. Bad communication. That and 1 joker who thinks he can do it all (the DPSer who tries to tank, the tank or healer who wants to DPS) and it's all over if the encounter is a challenging one.

I'll never understand why people try to claim they can do an awesome job off-role. Sure, DPS classes can kind of "tank via DPS," and if for some reason that's the group's only option then sure, go for it. But in every game I see people claiming "I can tank as well with my DPS class as most others can with a tank class" or "My tank is an awesome DPSer." I have no doubt there are Mercenary/Commando players who think they can, and try to, do it all in a group. Then they find everyone but them is dead because the Merc/Commando was splitting his attention and efforts and then they're dead, too.

How? "Tank gets the boss' attention" is pretty much how it works in every game.
We're talking about trash pulls here, not boss fights.
*insert witty retort that will become someone's signature*- Kitty Prawn
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=347245
.- Never forget.
"DPS is science, healing is art, tanking is strategy."