Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Give more credits to the dps

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Give more credits to the dps

walogen
04.19.2013 , 02:36 AM | #1
Don't get me wrong, granted there are dps(es) that are beyond salvation, I'm not arguing that.

I started this game as a sorcs heal, then guardian tank, then scoundrel heal, then shadow tank/dps.
Of course there were many alts in between, those I mentioned above are the one I get them to 50 and actually into hm ops.

Now the situation is:
I'm leveling a sniper, we were on mandalorain raiders fp.
The tank just leaped in and focused on one target(usually gold). The other dps followed. Result was lots of silver mobs were on the heal. So I hit those mobs and had them focused on me instead of the healer.

In the end, the tank and heal mainly blamed the other dps for pulling groups they planned to skip (which he did), and the healer just thanked the tank for 'awesome tanking'. And the tank claimed that if the other dps had focused on what he was hitting, things should be easier.(He was just trying to blame on the culprit that didn't know how to skip, the other dps was always on the tank's target, I was the one pulling other mobs on the healer to me).

My thought is, it's easier to heal two or even three targets, as long as the group of mobs is off the healer. As a dps I always try check if any mobs on the healer, sometime i even waited few seconds for the tank to pull them off, but if it didn't happen, I will hit them and have them on me rather than the heal.

I think i'm doing the right thing (ergo the title), but if anyone think I'm wrong, I'm open to suggestion.

slafko
04.19.2013 , 02:42 AM | #2
You're doing what a dps should be doing if they're not braindead. There's nothing spectacular or laurel wreath worthy of following the standard kill order and having a bit of common sense.

*pat on the back*
Keep up the the good work.

Tekkoclarky
04.19.2013 , 03:07 AM | #3
Tank should pick up any gold and silver, DPS should nuke the unmarked adds, they die very fast, so tank can just ignore them, then move on to silver, then gold.

If the tank isn't picking up the silver adds, then he is being lazy and a bad tank.

edit: yeah just to answer your point, taking adds off the healer is a good thing.

Elegances
04.19.2013 , 03:14 AM | #4
Thats fine imo, top priority should be to get the stuff off the healer, they can't heal anyone if they have to heal themselves.
Splitting damage is perfectly fine,we do get aoe heals anyhow, so why not? :P
As a healer, I'm glad to have people who do this, so I do the same when I'm dpsing and get a lazy/bad tank.
I would likely have thanked you, and not the tank.

KTap
04.19.2013 , 03:42 AM | #5
Tunnel vision tank is the problem here. Did you try telling him that there's more than 1 enemy per pull?

zzoorrzz
04.19.2013 , 04:20 AM | #6
The problem generally is a lack of communication in the actual instance.

robopup
04.19.2013 , 04:50 AM | #7
Depending on the type of tank, he may not had his aoe taunt yet. But I have seen tanks that don"t seem to know what a taunt is, or when to use it. You did the right thing. Keeping the mobs off the healers is always first. As a tank, I try to pay attention to the other mobs and taunt if the healer is getting too much attention.
Bother said Pooh as he loaded a fresh magazine in the M-16

Nkya
04.19.2013 , 04:57 AM | #8
I have not yet played a DPS, although I'm impressed when they manage to quick target whatever is threatening the healer or are able to work together at removing the weakest enemies from the pull, especially when there is a lot of bells and bangs all around. Sad to say, it's not always like things things happens.

Unless it happened all along the flashpoint, the others might not have seen what you saw in this specific fight.

Newghandi
04.19.2013 , 05:25 AM | #9
I've been healing in MMOs since Ultima Online so have seen alot of wierd crap throughout the years. But what seems to be a very common theme in SWTOR (subjectively comparing it with my experiances in other MMOs) is that tanks in SWTOR never really care about adds. That ends up me (healer) being wrecked to shreds or just have to spamheal myself and ignore everyone else (the three first rooms of The Red Reaper comes to mind).

Sometimes a DPS sees this and jump at some of the targets that are attacking me and I can't thank you enough. I have however, also seen tanks shouting at DPS for doing just that. It's tricky and I think it just boils down to tunnelvision. I mean, if I were tanking and saw lasershots go past me I'd wonder where the hell they end up. I sometimes have a melee NPC on me for the duration of the fight and the tank kills his and then continues on, without knowing what happens behind his narrow field of view.

So with me I much rather see DPS "tanking" than the healer

Swuulerian
04.19.2013 , 05:37 AM | #10
This is about trash fights, right? Because in boss fights things are quite different.

Anyway, during trash fights when I tank (level 50 Jugger and Guardian here) I hope the DPS initially doesn't whack what I as the tank am whacking. Let the tank build up aggro on the main target(s), DPS nuke out the others who will otherwise go for the healer. After the adds have been cleared out, nuke out what ever the tank is targeting. As a healer (level 50 Commando and Sorcere here) I love DPS who kill all the mobs going for me, as a tank I love it when I know the DPS will take out the easy mobs going for the healer while I keep the attention of the biggest baddies, and as a DPS (level 55 Sniper and Gunslinger here) I love it when I can use the big nukes all the time (first to take out the easy targets, then nuke on the targets the tank has already had some time to build aggro on; it is always so boring to go easy with DPS early on in boss fights, isn't it? ).