Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I Hate Pugs. Let My Companion into Operations.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion

DkSharktooth
04.18.2013 , 09:26 PM | #1

Companions can be used in flashpoints, so why not operations?

I can control my companion and they tank, heal, and dps better than pugs. Please allow companions to be used in operations.

Note: This will be an improvement to the Quality of Life changes (QOL) promised after 2.0
Note2: I am in a full guild, sometimes people can't make it and you need replacements. We don't want to pug and would rather use a companion.

Dampeer
04.18.2013 , 09:28 PM | #2
+1 i support this, most of the time i can micro my companion better than most pugs can do by themselves

Timbersaw - Powertech
Necrolyte - Assassin
Churb - Sniper

Arkillon
04.18.2013 , 09:28 PM | #3
**** pugs omg. THREAD SUPPORTED

astrobearx
04.18.2013 , 09:30 PM | #4
^^^

....aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand these are the guys that are kick and blacklist for pulling a noob move in OPs
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Moonshadow View Post
Because Bioware won't let my have the Jewel of the Dark Side, which would amplify my powers and allow me to take control of the galaxy in my bid for a tyrannical dictatorship.
Poo-doo.

Uniqueantique
04.18.2013 , 10:08 PM | #5
Allowing companions into operations would be a good way to allow us to make full use of them.

There are times when my healer works with me better than Khem. But I've had little actual reason to work with Andronikus or Ashara. Ashara does not work well with female mains no matter how well she is treated or gifted, in my experience.

Double equipping hk-51, at the time of acquiring him, with the exact same set of gear he was wearing, was a waste, as no other character can use it: stripping the mods was the only thing to do. And as much as I like Hk-51, after equipping self, healer and Khem, the incentive to equip and work with other characters does not warrant the time or cost.

Andronikus' story line is finished, and a ranged companion is just not a great help to me as a sorcerer: he does not protect me nor heal me. Others will disagree I'm sure. In time I may gear both Xerse and Hk-51 but not soon. Too much else to do.

Khem tanks very well, Talos heals very well. I solo with both very well.

I would like to do more than just solo with my companions. I would even like to be able to group with two of them at a time. Myself, Khem and Talos woud be a very good group. I 3 boxed in EQ, so running 2 companions at the same time is not that difficult.

Before I'm reminded that this is an mmo, I respond, it is a very good solo game also. And I break out in hives at the thought of Pugs. They try, I try. we fail. By soloing I lose out on an important part of the game, the high end ops. etc. I have participated in some of them. I like exploring and solving the quests myself.

SWtor is very good, imo, in that it gives choices. Solo, group, craft, use what ever companion you wish.

TheLordMagnus
04.18.2013 , 10:28 PM | #6
no join a guild and run them properly
LVL 50 SORCC RDPS ACTIVE
LVL 30 JUG DMG ACTIVE
LvL 50 MARRA ACTIVE

Swissbob
04.18.2013 , 10:59 PM | #7
While I don't like threads complaining about PUGS.... (If you don't want to PUG, join a guild and form the group yourself) I don't really see what the downside to adding this is.

It also helps if someone randomly DC's or leaves and you need a temporary replacement.
______________________Guild Master____________________
<The Nightmare Legacy><The Horizon Legacy>
_________________The Shadowlands

zzoorrzz
04.18.2013 , 11:49 PM | #8
Dou u need to control everything to enjoy the game? The point of operations is people getting synchronized. How does your comp fit in... Anyway, I don't care, so be it. Let people use comps if they want. All I know is that I won't use it.

Hiniba
04.19.2013 , 12:31 AM | #9
Not a horrid idea the main issue is some fights might be nearly impossible to do or significantly harder (and yes you might be able to micro but it could create a new you need to be able to micromanage your companion because you equipped your M1-4X really well and we need a second tank for tank swapping, or something silly). Basically, they would fall short on a lot of fights
A. their damage/healing and stuff is not equivalent to a geared player.
B. raid mechanics. Without tons of finagling with the go passive, attack commands any companion would just die during the last fight in KP without making healers waste tons of energy keeping him/her alive in the tar and what not).
Think about The Fabricator that's one less person that can work the puzzle potentially. Or the puzzle fight in TfB.

To make it viable they'd have to balance the fights around having companions in the group which would make them all simple tank and spanks.

Now allowing them in, in general I don't see the problem with that, but they should never be expected and the raids should never be balanced around the companions doing decently. (IF they count as a group member).

On a somewhat related note: it could be interesting if they did a system, similar to other MMOs, where companions weren't considered part of the group size for a certain version of the run (social run idk), so basically the group is double sized but half companions (who would be excluded from certain raid mechanics). Not a perfect idea but just something.
"When all choices seem wrong, choose restraint."
-Yoda

AlaricSevGirl
04.19.2013 , 02:25 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Uniqueantique View Post
Andronikus' story line is finished, and a ranged companion is just not a great help to me as a sorcerer: he does not protect me nor heal me. Others will disagree I'm sure. In time I may gear both Xerse and Hk-51 but not soon. Too much else to do.
As a sorc, you should be healing yourself and companions. Andronikos is awesome. Sorcs are the best healers. You are wasting potential if you are not healing.
The Terran One Legacy; Ebon Hawk server; Rhiordan, GL, Galactic Security Solutions (Republic) and Rhiorden, GL, The Imperial Black Court (Empire).