Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A real expansion

WarGame
04.18.2013 , 07:31 PM | #21
Probably won't get one, seems the cartel market gets most of the extra attention

Darth-Obvious
04.19.2013 , 04:01 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Korusus View Post
If waiting the 24 months netted us class story content that would then tide us over for a while, I'd rather do that then have a generic boring planet quest that I'll only be able to stomach with one character that tides me over for 3 days.
But people would just complain about burning through that content too quickly as well.

Even if they did do a full on expansion pack they'd still need to do 8 different class stories, while also adding new flashpoints, operations, warzones, planets, and anything else people expect out of a full on expansion.

macumba
04.19.2013 , 04:18 AM | #23
I am kinda hoping that BW was just to occupied during the last year that there could only be a mini expansion and there will be regular, genre-standard expansions in the future. an expansion that costs about 30-40, adds 10 levels and brings 10+ new flashpoints and several new operations and war zones (similar to burning crusade)
a real expansion.
Just because you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Aries_cz
04.19.2013 , 04:20 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Soluss View Post
Well, it was small enough that it took an entire year for Makeb. I didnt know they hired more people though. Thats always good. I still dont think they have the team or funding to do a full size expansion. Hope Im wrong on that. Time will tell.
It was not a whole year (well, it was, but read on). They admitted putting all projects "on hold" some time around making the switch to F2P until they see if they will get more money and EA's blessing to continue, or if they will be shut down as a failure (which would be sad, SWTOR is a great game).
Plus, people seem to forget that there is a lot of content beyond Makeb in RotHC.
Also, as an interesting side note, Blizzard's Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm could be considered a full expansion (priced at 40+ USD, which seems to be the logic people here use), and the playtime was roughly the same as half of the content in RotHC (makeb main story, one round of staged weekly). And we waited almost three years for that.
Member of Beast Riders, Tomb of Freedon Nadd and Czech Alliance, Red Eclipse
Without the darkness, how would we recognize the light?
Aries, admin of Czech/Slovak fansite SW-TOR.cz
Check out my story videos or support me by clicking my Referral Link

JPryde
04.19.2013 , 04:23 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Aries_cz View Post
Also, as an interesting side note, Blizzard's Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm could be considered a full expansion (priced at 40+ USD, which seems to be the logic people here use), and the playtime was roughly the same as half of the content in RotHC (makeb main story, one round of staged weekly). And we waited almost three years for that.
nahhh. Starcraft2: Heart of the Swarm was no "real" expansion, cause ... em... yes... well, there were no new 10 levels or more... you know... content is totally overrated, the number of levels is all that counts
~~~ Macht Wächter ~~~
Vanjervalis Chain
Jhoira, Skarjis, Trântor, Ric-Xano, Sabri-torina, Tir-za, Shaina ...
We do not brake for Wookiees !

Tekkoclarky
04.19.2013 , 04:35 AM | #26
I doubt we will ever get a 'real' expansion, just a lot of mini DLC.

It would be nice to get an expansion that brings in proper space combat like SWG and an engine fix that actually allows pvp zones larger than 8 v 8.

Aries_cz
04.19.2013 , 04:39 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by JPryde View Post
nahhh. Starcraft2: Heart of the Swarm was no "real" expansion, cause ... em... yes... well, there were no new 10 levels or more... you know... content is totally overrated, the number of levels is all that counts
Well, there were 70 levels that Kerrigan could get, but you got them in the amount of time I wrote
Member of Beast Riders, Tomb of Freedon Nadd and Czech Alliance, Red Eclipse
Without the darkness, how would we recognize the light?
Aries, admin of Czech/Slovak fansite SW-TOR.cz
Check out my story videos or support me by clicking my Referral Link

LasherC
04.19.2013 , 04:44 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by WarGame View Post
Probably won't get one, seems the cartel market gets most of the extra attention
I see no evidence of that. Quantity and quality of content prior to f2p switch is roughly the same as quantity/quality of content released after f2p switch.

Quote: Originally Posted by Aries_cz View Post
HotS IS a full expansion. The problem is that it doesn't make sense to compare one with the other. There's one set of expectations you have for a non-MMO and a different set for MMOs. MMOs have crappier ( for lack of a better word ) gameplay compared to other games ( especially SWTOR, which is basically WoW in terms of gameplay ), so you expect more of it. You also expect more of it because it's an MMO that you pay a sub for. Yes, the sub is still a factor when it comes to expansion content/pricing, because the content needs to keep you entertained until they can release more. You don't need to play a single-player game for months on end, and for multiplayer games like HotS MP or, say, CS:GO the fun and longevity isn't in the actual content, it's in the competition.

LovarBoy
04.19.2013 , 05:19 AM | #29
I am 100% sure that there won't be any "real expansion" - except they work on one since last year that it could be released end of 2013 - if not, we won't see one.

Darth-Obvious
04.19.2013 , 05:25 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by macumba View Post
I am kinda hoping that BW was just to occupied during the last year that there could only be a mini expansion and there will be regular, genre-standard expansions in the future. an expansion that costs about 30-40, adds 10 levels and brings 10+ new flashpoints and several new operations and war zones (similar to burning crusade)
a real expansion.
You'd be paying 50-60 for that type of expansion not 30-40 just because that was the WoW equivalent.

The problem is that TOR's numbers would need to be much higher to put out an expansion with that much content and only charge 30-40 for it.

As it stands right now they'd need to charge full price in order to turn a profit on the development costs of a such an expansion.

It's easy/easier for Blizzard to do the things they do with WoW when they're pulling in a billion dollars a year from subs alone.

Basically what it boils down to is that in order for them to put out (post-game) content on the same level that Blizzard does they would need to have a customer base like the one Blizzard does.