Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Open World PVP ideas

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Open World PVP ideas

skilligan
04.18.2013 , 10:31 AM | #1
Open world PVP kills reward the killer with the loot that was in the victims bags if it is not bound. This will accomplish multiple things:

Encouraging open world PVP
Getting PVP players out to planets to do PVE content while they are there
Getting PVE players into WZ so they can get expertise gear to not get smashed
Filling the PVP credit gap via selling drops
Encouraging people to run in groups
Quicker disposal of all the garbage drops

Add an objective to republic/imperial camps that can be captured and held and give comms as a reward

The bolster system can be used in these bases to level the playing field for these objectives
Ops group size can be controlled in these areas like it was for Gree Event

Add a "Republic" or "Imperial" chat so that players can quickly request backup from planets that are under attack

Add some open world Daily/Weekly Objectives
Gather 20 Imperial ID tags (kill player, get a tag)
Control a base for 15 minutes

Skylene <Swollen Members>

Benets
04.18.2013 , 05:59 PM | #2
I don't think bioware care about anything posted.
I've made a lot of contribution myself with "full" open pvp system, guild system, ilum system.

If you want to see, check it here and comment:
World PvP Ideas
Denova (Rep vs. Imp PvP planet)
World Pvp My Ilum Map

About guilds:
Patch 1.x Guilds
Guild HQs
Guild's Quests/Story

and space/operation using ships at introduction:
Space Instance/Operation
- "Do or do not, there's no try" -
Benets
aka
Mxyzptlk

LadyKohastFel
04.18.2013 , 06:34 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Benets View Post
If that system was implemented on a planet like that I would have no problem with it. PvE players could steer clear of that planet which would be an open ended warzone.
Remember Antaria, Naboo, Starsider Server.

TenTigers
04.18.2013 , 06:37 PM | #4
That would be great if it was server based. Otherwise it would do more to encourage griefers and d-bags than it would enhance the overall game.

Ineedavacation
04.18.2013 , 06:40 PM | #5
What are you talking about? The mere possibility of open world PVP was waylay-ed by Mr. Pekinpaugh when he decided to use the bolster system at 55. Now you have two TOTALLY different stats for WZ's and open world. What do you think will happen when people realize the implications of this?

Aelaias
04.18.2013 , 06:48 PM | #6
"RVR" areas should be confined to end game planets such as I don't know, Makeb? That would be an interesting place to turn into a battleground.
Shadowlands
Letho - Vanguard
Óberyn-Guardian
http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/characte...7-5e5489ff3b47

Mark_Kaine
09.20.2013 , 05:12 PM | #7
Open world PVP has great potential for fun but also great potential for problems.

At the moment, open world PVP seems to focus on two more or less warring sides (republic vs empire) and certain "every person for themselves" areas such as the outlaws den.

One problem with this is that not all classes lend themselves to being soldiers. Bounty hunters and smugglers clearly are a poor fit in any army from an RP viewpoint. Consulars certainly by name, seem like they should be more ambassador than combatant. Agents certainly sound like they should be spies. Snipers and assassins are distinct from each other which makes almost no sense at all. The Jedi knights and sith warriors seem like they should basically be opposed knightly religious orders. Sort of like the knights Templar. Inquisitors make one think of fanatics rooting out heresy, torture chambers etc, but not spending much time on a battle field. Troopers are of course soldiers. So, we have a game that is focused on war between two "nations" or cultures. But only one side actually is fielding playable soldiers ( the republic troopers). Yes the jedi knights and sith warriors are combatants but much more like the knightly religious orders of Europe's middle ages, not by any stretch are they normal soldiers. Essentially, out of 8 basic classes, four to each "faction" only three (jedi knight, republic trooper, sith warrior) are really full time military from an RP viewpoint. That means PVP is going to be a lot more complex than it would be if all classes on each side were various kinds of full time "soldiers" of one form or another..

Because of this, PVP is going to have to be made viable a bit at a time. There is not going to be a quick fix but it can be done.

As a start:
A. There needs to be some kind of reward for winning.
B. There needs to be some kind of risk for losing.
C. Griefing needs be controlled. People play the game to have fun, if PVP turns into griefing, the fun stops, the players go away, bioware goes out of business.
D. Abusive cooperation needs be controlled. By this I mean: Player A letting player B defeat them in exchange for player B then letting player A beat them so that both gain. Essentially cheating or beating the system needs be eliminated as much as possible.

Perhaps we can start by making suggestions for solving these 4 starting problems. I look forward to seeing where this discussion goes and hope that PVP in SWTOR can be made fun.

ilifus
09.21.2013 , 07:41 AM | #8
Feil engine, uncapable pvp devs = forever no world pvp
BioWare stole my knock down!

wishihadaname
09.21.2013 , 10:27 AM | #9
^ Unfortunately this. The engine would crap itself is more than 16 players were performing damage calculations in any one instance at a time. I was around back when Ilum was the open world pvp planet, the lag was unbelievable. We would have 20v20 battles, but attempting to do any sort of serius damage (especially as a melee dps) was damn near impossible because of how bad the lag was. Also, this game has a ton of AOE built in, and AOE basically dominated those fights.

Can you imagine trying to do open world pvp with the current balance as well? A raid with 10 smashers could literally 1shot half the other raid. Smashers would be the only class worth bringing.

So the 2 biggest problems that I see here are
1) Bad, Bad, really freaking bad screw EA for buying this cheap POS engine.
2) Classes that aren't balanced for mass combat.
-Dimitri Dolohov, lvl 55 Lethality OP. Toxic personality (Retired until viable again)
-Sgt. Amit Dolohov, lvl 55 Gunny Mando,. Rifle wielding hipster.
I'de rather lose a real fight than win via premade.

Mark_Kaine
09.21.2013 , 11:38 AM | #10
"So the 2 biggest problems that I see here are
1) Bad, Bad, really freaking bad screw EA for buying this cheap POS engine.
2) Classes that aren't balanced for mass combat. "

The first, can only be corrected by EA / bioware. If they hear enough requests for open world PVP along with complaints about lag. If they think can make money off it then perhaps they will.

The second I believe is due to the game actually having, as I mentioned a few posts up, a majority of classes that don't fit in as soldiers. Perhaps we need consider what subset of the classes make the most effective soldiers while at the same time having an implied character role as soldiers. Classes that don't fit well as soldiers need to have other kinds of PVP opportunities than mass combat. If, as 1 in the quote above implies, the software is unable to handle open world mass combat we may want to focus on how PVP can work for the non-soldier classes, which may more logically involve smaller PVP encounters. Thoughts?