Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New Star Wars movie every summer starting 2015

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
New Star Wars movie every summer starting 2015

Eillack
04.19.2013 , 09:25 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Kahotep View Post
I think you're very much in the minority there. The Avengers is the third highest grossing film of all time. Somebody clearly liked it.
Lol you must be one of those "fans" of the marvel movie, but never picked up a single marvel comic in your life lol.

Kahotep
04.20.2013 , 06:00 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Eillack View Post
Lol you must be one of those "fans" of the marvel movie, but never picked up a single marvel comic in your life lol.
You are absolutely correct. I am also one of those people who thinks that movies and comics and novels are all separate media. You cannot judge one by the standards of the other.

Was the Avengers movie a good adaptation of the comics? I don't know and I don't care. was it a good movie in its own right? You bet your bottom it was!

By the same token, I have never read a Star wars comic. I have never read a Star Wars book. I'm just not interested. Movies are my thing. I love film. All kinds of films. Under Disney's ownership, Marvel Studios has made some very successful films that I would rate from quite good to blinking fabulous. Couple that kind of working with JJ Abrams directing and I am excited fro what Episode 7 might be.

Beniboybling
04.20.2013 , 06:12 AM | #23
Was the Avengers movie a good adaptation of the comics? I don't know and I don't care. was it a good movie in its own right? You bet your bottom it was!
I'm afraid I'd disagree. I was not impressed with the Avengers movies.

Good acting: Yes
Good visuals: Yes
Good story: Hell no.

The story of the Avengers was really substandard, I was expecting something different and exciting. Marvel and Disney had an opportunity to do something new, they had brought together heroes from all over the comics. But what do they end up doing? The same old same old. Aliens come to Earth seeking a high-tech device then use it to take over the planet, in this case Marvel looked through the book of cliche tropes and chose 'big portal over city'. What ensued was a typical 'epic' battle in said city in which the aliens were routed and happy days for the heroes.

Evidence that its entirely unoriginal? Transformers 3, the storyline is the same. They used the same story as Micheal Bay. Aliens come to Earth seeking a high tech device which they use to open up a big portal over a city and invade the planet. Heroes come to stop them, aliens are routed and sent packing. At least Transformers made it a little more original with the whole betrayal and the fact that the heroes were fighting their own kind.

So yes, altogether I was underwhelmed by the Avengers and hope that Star Wars is of far better quality.

P.S. And for the record, Iron Man 2 is the worst film I have ever seen.

Kahotep
04.20.2013 , 07:04 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
I'm afraid I'd disagree. I was not impressed with the Avengers movies.

Good acting: Yes
Good visuals: Yes
Good story: Hell no.

The story of the Avengers was really substandard, I was expecting something different and exciting. Marvel and Disney had an opportunity to do something new, they had brought together heroes from all over the comics. But what do they end up doing? The same old same old. Aliens come to Earth seeking a high-tech device then use it to take over the planet, in this case Marvel looked through the book of cliche tropes and chose 'big portal over city'. What ensued was a typical 'epic' battle in said city in which the aliens were routed and happy days for the heroes.

Evidence that its entirely unoriginal? Transformers 3, the storyline is the same. They used the same story as Micheal Bay. Aliens come to Earth seeking a high tech device which they use to open up a big portal over a city and invade the planet. Heroes come to stop them, aliens are routed and sent packing. At least Transformers made it a little more original with the whole betrayal and the fact that the heroes were fighting their own kind.

So yes, altogether I was underwhelmed by the Avengers and hope that Star Wars is of far better quality.

P.S. And for the record, Iron Man 2 is the worst film I have ever seen.
If you think Transformers is better than The Avengers then I'd seriously question your judgement. Yes, it's true that the plot of the Avengers is not original, but was that the point of the movie?

The Avengers is really a character piece. Classic ensemble cast stuff. Beyond the plot and action, what makes the story interesting is the characters, the way they interact and riff of off each other.

It that regard, I'd say Avengers has a lot in common with Star Wars. A New Hope's plot is hardly what I would call original. What makes A New Hope a seriously good film in my book, is the characters.

Seriously dude, if Iron Man 2 is the worst film you have ever seen then either you have not seen many films, you have only ever watched absolute classic or you are some Marvel fanboy who is sulking cos they didn't do Iron Man the way you would have done it.

Worse film you have ever seen? Really? That's just laughable.

Wolfninjajedi
04.20.2013 , 07:07 AM | #25
If you think Transformers is better than The Avengers then I'd seriously question your judgement. Yes, it's true that the plot of the Avengers is not original, but was that the point of the movie?

The Avengers is really a character piece. Classic ensemble cast stuff. Beyond the plot and action, what makes the story interesting is the characters, the way they interact and riff of off each other.

It that regard, I'd say Avengers has a lot in common with Star Wars. A New Hope's plot is hardly what I would call original. What makes A New Hope a seriously good film in my book, is the characters.

Seriously dude, if Iron Man 2 is the worst film you have ever seen then either you have not seen many films, you have only ever watched absolute classic or you are some Marvel fanboy who is sulking cos they didn't do Iron Man the way you would have done it.

Worse film you have ever seen? Really? That's just laughable.
Its his opinion, let him have it. Just like pretty much everything else, with movies.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

TheBBP
04.20.2013 , 07:13 AM | #26
I fall into this same camp as Kahotep. I have not read any of the Marvel universe either but found the movies highly entertaining. I have however, read a good bit of the Star Wars EU and am still not worried about Disney's "Marvel Method" being put onto Star Wars.

I like how characters are fleshed-out in stand-alone films then were brought together for Avengers. For me, it made the ensemble more personable.

As for Avengers being non-original and formulaic... That is what the masses want to see. They want to see formulaic good Vs evil where the hero(es) beat incredibly overwhelming odds and personal adversity to overcome the deadly threat and save the world.

It doesn't matter if you like that or not, the world did to the tune of over $1 billion and they are begging for more. Disney has found a method for success and I don't blame them one bit for wanting to apply it to one of the most well-loved IPs in existence.
Crosswire - Republic Commando
Commander - The Way of the Maker Christian/Family-rated Guild
Ebon Hawk

Kahotep
04.20.2013 , 07:18 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
Its his opinion, let him have it. Just like pretty much everything else, with movies.
We're all entitled to our opinions, but that does not mean some people's opinions are not laughable. He may not have enjoyed the movie, he may not have liked the movie, but any intelligent person with a degree of maturity can tell the difference between something which is not to their taste and something which is badly made and of low quality.

If somebody was saying that they didn't like Iron Man 2, I'd say fine. It's not to everyone's taste.
If someone says its a bad movie, that a totally different thing. When someone comes on this forum and says its the worst film he's ever seen, then my opinion is that their opinion is an utter joke.

Wolfninjajedi
04.20.2013 , 07:22 AM | #28
We're all entitled to our opinions, but that does not mean some people's opinions are not laughable. He may not have enjoyed the movie, he may not have liked the movie, but any intelligent person with a degree of maturity can tell the difference between something which is not to their taste and something which is badly made and of low quality.

If somebody was saying that they didn't like Iron Man 2, I'd say fine. It's not to everyone's taste.
If someone says its a bad movie, that a totally different thing. When someone comes on this forum and says its the worst film he's ever seen, then my opinion is that their opinion is an utter joke.
Just like the PT, even when it did well in theaters and got mixed reviews.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

TheBBP
04.20.2013 , 07:24 AM | #29
I like the PT.

Or am I not supposed to as a "REAL" Star Wars fan?
Crosswire - Republic Commando
Commander - The Way of the Maker Christian/Family-rated Guild
Ebon Hawk

Kahotep
04.20.2013 , 07:27 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
Just like the PT, even when it did well in theaters and got mixed reviews.
Did any of those reviews say it was the worst film they'd ever seen? Thought not.the reviews ranged from so so to good. I didn't see any professional reviewers say it was the worst film they'd ever seen. That's because professional reviewers know what they are talking about, have opinions based on experiencing a huge range of movies of varying quality and are not the kind of whiny teenagers who classify everything in existence as either awesome or sucks.