Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New Star Wars movie every summer starting 2015

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
New Star Wars movie every summer starting 2015

TheBBP
04.17.2013 , 12:17 PM | #1
Walt Disney Pictures and Lucasfilm announced today at CinemaCon in Las Vegas that Star Wars: Episode VII will hit theaters in the summer of 2015 and that every summer after that will offer a "Star Wars" film, alternating with one of the standalone films.

LINK
Jano Aras'im - Knight of the Republic
Commander - The Way of the Maker Christian/Family-rated Guild
Ebon Hawk

Beniboybling
04.17.2013 , 01:21 PM | #2
So what are they saying here? That we'll receive the following:

Summer 2015: Episode VII

Summer 2016: Spin-off

Summer 2017: Episode VIII

Summer 2018: Spin-off

Summer 2019: Episode IX

No more movies for several decades.

That would be acceptable, although I'm at little hesitant to supportive of Disney churning out Star Wars at such a rapid rate, what will this mean for the quality of the franchise? And will it become increasingly commercialized like Marvel? I was initially elated at the prospect of Disney buying Star Wars, but the doubts are creeping in...

...Ah, who cares - in two years time I'll be seeing Episode VII for my birthday!

EDIT: Uber-sceptic perspective: Milk the franchise for all its worth, you suck Disney.

Crawelc
04.17.2013 , 07:39 PM | #3
well lets see, cartoons and alternate universes for all characters. Jedi academy version of super hero squad. Live action teen angst drama with jedi. Seriously do none of you guys have children? My tv is on disney channel all the time and the ammount of marvel drivel flowing out is sick. If you think star wars is going to be in any different position 5 years from now your dreaming.
Imprimis <Fight><Redemption><Conquest><Super Bads><Murica Force><The Cream><RSU>
All Imprimis All the time.
GM of 3 dead guilds and counting.

Kahotep
04.18.2013 , 11:07 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Crawelc View Post
well lets see, cartoons and alternate universes for all characters. Jedi academy version of super hero squad. Live action teen angst drama with jedi. Seriously do none of you guys have children? My tv is on disney channel all the time and the ammount of marvel drivel flowing out is sick. If you think star wars is going to be in any different position 5 years from now your dreaming.
So what? You don't have to watch that crap. I've never watched the Marvel cartoons. I've also never read a Star Wars book or a Star Wars comic. I'm only interested in the films.

So far Marvel Studios have released;

Iron Man (2008)
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2
Thor
Captain America
The Avengers (2012)

6 movies in 4 years ans only one of them (Hulk) was so so. The rest were hugely entertaining and commercially successful. Clearly Disney is more than capable of presiding over a franchise, churning out quality entertainment on a regular basis.

A big part of this success has been Marvel/Disney's refusal to skimp on the quality if the talent. Look at the directors, writers and actors involved in the Marvel movies. They are clearly trying to replicate this by hiring JJ Abrams to direct the first film. This is a director with a proven track record of making successful genre movies.

I'd say Disney know exactly what they are doing and I'm looking forward to the results.

LadyKulvax
04.18.2013 , 11:16 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
No more movies for several decades.
Wait wut?
I am the Battlemaster of the Jedi Order. I've struck you down once already. Today, I'm finishing the job.
Jedi Order

Beniboybling
04.18.2013 , 11:52 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by LadyKulvax View Post
Wait wut?
OK so I sort of made that bit up but I'd assume that after the Sequel Trilogy is done Disney will at least take a breather. At least I hope so, otherwise this franchise is going to run dry real real fast.

LadyKulvax
04.18.2013 , 11:53 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
OK so I sort of made that bit up but I'd assume that after the Sequel Trilogy is done Disney will at least take a breather. At least I hope so, otherwise this franchise is going to run dry real real fast.
Five years after that they will do a second trilogy.
I am the Battlemaster of the Jedi Order. I've struck you down once already. Today, I'm finishing the job.
Jedi Order

TheBBP
04.18.2013 , 11:59 AM | #8
It looks like a ton on paper, but it is the exact pacing that they are doing with the Marvel-verse. That is working out quite well. I believe that this will too.
Jano Aras'im - Knight of the Republic
Commander - The Way of the Maker Christian/Family-rated Guild
Ebon Hawk

XantosCledwin
04.18.2013 , 12:03 PM | #9
Star Wars Episode VI was published in 1983. Star Wars Episode I was published in 1999. That is exactly 16 years, a little over 1.5 decades. Star Wars Episode VII is slated for release in 2015 that is exactly 10 years after Star Wars Episode III.

By all accounts, the regular span between Trilogies is approximately 1 to 1.5 decades. That is not SEVERAL Decades, that is at best a COUPLE of decades. And even that is stretching the definition.
The Cledwin Legacy of the Shadowlands Server
Fanfiction Author Profile

Beniboybling
04.18.2013 , 12:17 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by LadyKulvax View Post
Five years after that they will do a second trilogy.
Is that a guestimation? Or actual fact? Personally I'm not to keen on multiple trilogies but we'll see...