Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Stop comparing Vitiate to Palpatine...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Stop comparing Vitiate to Palpatine...

Wolfninjajedi
04.16.2013 , 03:13 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
An Empire that was much smaller than the GALACTIC Empire, and it also hid in the shadows. Palpatine's Empire was in control of most of the known galaxy, and even spread into the Unknown Regions.

Also, please point me to all of Vitiate's Super Star Destroyers, Death Stars, Eclipse Star Destroyers, World Devastators, Omega Frosts etc.
There is also the fact unlike Vitiate, Sidious hid in plain sight right in the face of the Jedi to where not even the most powerful(Pre-Luke) Yoda could sense him.

Ok whoopie, Vitiate lived for 1,300 years....one accomplishment(which really is only given, due to the fact nothing was really going on during that time period) doesn't mean that Vitiate is Sidious' superior.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

marcelo_sdk
04.16.2013 , 03:15 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
I am not saying Vitiate was weak, but comparing accomplishments/feats and the like, though the main goal for the Sith was the eradication of the Jedi Order which Sidious did accomplish, immortality(which Sidious did accomplish) was only something a couple of Sith Lords wanted. Sidious has done far more, as per the EU...a side note. People need to stop acting like the movies =/= EU, its all one connected universe the movies only show a small portion to a character overall.
If he achieved immortality... why he's dead?

Tell me one Sith Lord under the Rule of Two who did not wanted to become immortal. Sidious, his master, his master's master. Any of them achieved? Guess is not an easy thing.

And yes, EU is supposed to be an extent of the movies, but some authors don't realize this. You will not agree that Vader is an extremely overpowered in most of EU content about him? The same happens with Sidious in a lot of works.
THE SHEPARD LEGACY

Master Goldrinn Shepard [Human Jedi Guardian] | Darth Saeros [Cyborg Sith Jugg.]
Erendis Barsen'thor [Human Jedi Shadow] | Darth Kamul [Zabrak Sith Assassin]

Ventessel
04.16.2013 , 03:19 PM | #13
So, let me get this straight...

In an effort to stop people from arguing about Vitiate and Sidious, you have constructed yet another thread that invites those same arguments? If it bothers you that people debate the two, just don't open those threads.
The Heir to ChaosAdded Chapter Sixteen-- 17 APR 2013
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” ~ George Orwell

Wolfninjajedi
04.16.2013 , 03:20 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by marcelo_sdk View Post
If he achieved immortality... why he's dead?

Tell me one Sith Lord under the Rule of Two who did not wanted to become immortal. Sidious, his master, his master's master. Any of them achieved? Guess is not an easy thing.

And yes, EU is supposed to be an extent of the movies, but some authors don't realize this. You will not agree that Vader is an extremely overpowered in most of EU content about him? The same happens with Sidious in a lot of works.
There are many different types of immortality, and he only died due to the whole Wall of Light thing with the Jedi and all that noise.

As per Vader being overpowered in the EU?...Define overpowered? Doesn't seem that way to me.

Quote:
In an effort to stop people from arguing about Vitiate and Sidious, you have constructed yet another thread that invites those same arguments? If it bothers you that people debate the two, just don't open those threads.
Oh Vent, a character you are indeed. See I could, but then that would just be bottling it all up which isn't healthy. But don't worry, this is a one time thing.

marcelo_sdk
04.16.2013 , 03:24 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
An Empire that was much smaller than the GALACTIC Empire, and it also hid in the shadows. Palpatine's Empire was in control of most of the known galaxy, and even spread into the Unknown Regions.

Also, please point me to all of Vitiate's Super Star Destroyers, Death Stars, Eclipse Star Destroyers, World Devastators, Omega Frosts etc.
Yes, all that and still was defeated by the Rebel Alliance, an organization with short amount of resources, with a fleet composed mostly of old model's ships. As Vitiate was able to fight the Republic and achieve victory with a brilliant strategy, killing the Chancellor in the heart of the Republic.

And we must not forget that Vitiate was behind all attacks against the Republic since the Mandalorian Wars, so by his actions he paved the way for the First Jedi Purge. Also, who told to Revan about the Star Forge, the Foundry?
THE SHEPARD LEGACY

Master Goldrinn Shepard [Human Jedi Guardian] | Darth Saeros [Cyborg Sith Jugg.]

Wolfninjajedi
04.16.2013 , 03:29 PM | #16
Yes, all that and still was defeated by the Rebel Alliance, an organization with short amount of resources, with a fleet composed mostly of old model's ships. As Vitiate was able to fight the Republic and achieve victory with a brilliant strategy, killing the Chancellor in the heart of the Republic.

And we must not forget that Vitiate was behind all attacks against the Republic since the Mandalorian Wars, so by his actions he paved the way for the First Jedi Purge. Also, who told to Revan about the Star Forge, the Foundry?
Well by ROTJ, the Rebel Alliance was much better equipped and the like. Though remember, the Alliance would have been finished if it wasn't for Vader turning on Palpatine....so they were really only beaten because of such things that happened. Like a single domino falling, and everything else just collapses.

marcelo_sdk
04.16.2013 , 03:30 PM | #17
There are many different types of immortality, and he only died due to the whole Wall of Light thing with the Jedi and all that noise.
There's not many different types of immortality, there are different types to achieve this, which Sidious didn't. If he just died because the Wall of Light, his failure, he should have preddicted this, the fact is he's dead.
THE SHEPARD LEGACY

Swissbob
04.16.2013 , 03:31 PM | #18
Ok then Swiss, give me a list of Vitiate's accomplishments/feats.
Well, I'm not knowledgeable enough, and don't have enough time right now anyway.

But you misunderstand. I don't have to provide a list to validate what I'm saying because I'm not really arguing on behalf of Vitiate. I'm not trying to "prove" that Vitiate is better. I'm not trying to convince anyone that Vitiate is the "better" Sith. While I would usually take his side instead of Palpatine's that's not what I'm trying to do here.

The messages I've been trying to get across are:

1: I thoroughly enjoyed your post! It was well written and helped me better appreciate Sidious.

2: However, this post/thread should not be and probably is not the be-all end-all of the debate. Just because you provided a huge list of Palpatine's achievements does not automatically put the debate to rest. I don't think you can say "Enough. Stop comparing Vitiate to Palpatine" just because you provided a list (no matter how long, impressive or awesome it is ) .

So, I'm not trying to prove who is the "better" Sith.

I'm trying to keep the discussion/debate/comparison going.
______________________Guild Master____________________
<The Nightmare Legacy><The Horizon Legacy>
_________________The Shadowlands

Wolfninjajedi
04.16.2013 , 03:34 PM | #19
There's not many different types of immortality, there are different types to achieve this, which Sidious didn't. If he just died because the Wall of Light, his failure, he should have preddicted this, the fact is he's dead.
There are actually....such as not being able to die from aging, yet you can still die by normal means. Or you can just live no matter what happens.

marcelo_sdk
04.16.2013 , 03:35 PM | #20
Aurbere, stop reading this, concentrate on the BattleZone!

Seriously, I'm very curious of who will win that contest, think was the greatest clash until now (well, Plagueis vs. Vitiate was pretty damn good)
THE SHEPARD LEGACY