Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

any good republic stories?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
any good republic stories?

skullkandy
04.16.2013 , 11:46 AM | #1
I want to play through with a republic character since I have one of every class on the empire side. I'm just having trouble finding one that the story isn't awful for. I've only played the republic classes up to level 11 each and hated every one. What's you recommendation for the best republic story?

and because story is somewhat subjective, it isn't that i find being a bad guy better than a good guy, it's that I felt the empire characters had depth and the republic was 2 dimensional (as far as I've gotten.) The republic every quest is either the option to stop saving the galaxy and rescue every old ladies kitten from a tree being the universes butler or murder and eat the cat in front of her.

Do any of the republic stories get some depth to them and some characters that are believable further into the story, or is it all childish writing and cheesy things no one would ever say or do?

Syas
04.16.2013 , 12:01 PM | #2
To be fair, none of the class stories are deep by Level 11. Sith Warriors get a new Master, for example. The only exception I can think of is the IA, which is great from the get go.

I really liked the Trooper story myself, I know others felt it was too bland, but as weird as it sounds, that is what I liked about it. The story is about being a (highly skilled) normal guy in a land of magic and lightsabers. M1-4X doesn't hurt things either, hands down the best companion in the game.

For the Jedi experience, the Consular story is solid. Note that by "Jedi experience" I mean self-sacrifice and diplomacy. I found the story itself boring, but it was a perfectly legitimate Jedi Story.

Although I have not made a Knight yet, I often hear it referred to as "The KOTOR 3" story. I have also not taken a Smuggler to a place where I would really experience the story.
Thall | Combat Medic ||| Kannus | Kinetic Shadow
Dars'yl | Immortal Juggernaut ||| Sudor | Concealment Operative
Ebon Hawke

skullkandy
04.16.2013 , 12:07 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Syas View Post
To be fair, none of the class stories are deep by Level 11. Sith Warriors get a new Master, for example. The only exception I can think of is the IA, which is great from the get go.

I really liked the Trooper story myself, I know others felt it was too bland, but as weird as it sounds, that is what I liked about it. The story is about being a (highly skilled) normal guy in a land of magic and lightsabers. M1-4X doesn't hurt things either, hands down the best companion in the game.

For the Jedi experience, the Consular story is solid. Note that by "Jedi experience" I mean self-sacrifice and diplomacy. I found the story itself boring, but it was a perfectly legitimate Jedi Story.

Although I have not made a Knight yet, I often hear it referred to as "The KOTOR 3" story. I have also not taken a Smuggler to a place where I would really experience the story.
I see what you're saying about it not being deep at level 11, I think I didn't phrase that well. I don't mean like a deep plot, just characters that don't feel like they were written by a 2nd grader. Characters that have personalities which I have found a serious lack of on the republic side.

I think i'll try the trooper then. I think swtor really boiled jedi down too much. In the movies even jedi have unique personalities. So far all the jedi I encountered in swtor are so cheesy and bland.

Luckeyduckey
04.16.2013 , 01:47 PM | #4
Smuggler.
Svenskar
Terrørist

Mirandel
04.16.2013 , 02:52 PM | #5
You would not know until you try it. For example mentioned Consular story a lot of people find boring. Yet, I have 2 consulars but can not force myself to finish leveling my smuggler. JK - is very epic, Smuggler - very self-centered, Trooper - is about Republic bad side and how real heroes still remain loyal despite all that, Consular - all about diplomacy. I would say play until lvl 10, go through the first FP and see for yourself if you like it.

PhoenixFyrelO
04.17.2013 , 07:55 AM | #6
I'd recommend a Knight because it's the only class whose story I actually enjoyed after Act 1. You said you want a story with depth so I strongly recommend playing neutral or slightly-dark alignment because full lightside is literally Jesus-IN-SPACE! and full darkside doesn't really make sense story wise.

Trooper is a very fun class and has a very strong Act 1 but the story completely dies after that. Every mission in Act 2/3 is basically Garza saying "Go here, do that, kill him" and you say "FER DA REPUBLIC herp derp" Fun if that's what your into, but there's no real story there.

Smuggler has a decent Act 1 and lots of one-liners throughout but the story is pretty weak. Less smuggling and more Republic errand-boy.

Haven't played consular past the first few planets. From what I've read the story doesn't actually seem that bad in regards to actually having one, it's just comparatively boring.
<Memories of Xendor>
Prophecy of the Five

Tommot
04.17.2013 , 09:38 AM | #7
Play a Neutral/DS Knight
Roswin - 50 Jedi Sentinel | Vaelin - 50 Sith Juggernaut | Kordis - 50 Sith Marauder | Vaelis - 50 Sith Assassin | Tylus - 50 Sniper
| Vint - 43 Mercenary | Kiden - 35 Vangaurd | Skavic - 22 Jedi Sage |

Arutar
04.17.2013 , 10:33 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by skullkandy View Post
it isn't that i find being a bad guy better than a good guy, it's that I felt the empire characters had depth and the republic was 2 dimensional (as far as I've gotten.)
I agree. I still would argue that a neutral or light sided empire player gets the best experience as far a roleplay is concerned, because he actually has to make tough decisions and reconcile his/her morals with his/her duty/beliefs.

I mean, the entire trooper story, for example, can be described by a loud "Sir, for the republic, sir!", no matter which alignment you are. (´Though an evil tropper might leave out the "Sir")

It figures that while basicially all republic stories feature Imperials/Sith as the main villain (I think it is all stories, actually) the Imperial stories usually have fellow Imperials/Sith has the archenemy on the backdrop of the ongoing Imp/Rep conflict. No wonder which stories feel more complex and less one-dimesional / black and white.

mikebevo
04.17.2013 , 10:55 AM | #9
If you want a character that has serious character and perfect voice acting, roll a female smuggler. Best one liners in the game. Story does not live up to either the IA, Warrior or even the knight for that matter, but for a toon that takes on a life of her own you cannot beat the female smuggler. Perfect either light or dark too. My main is a female sawbones that wants the credits, but has a heart of gold, but also leveled an alt with someone that played a darkside female gunslinger and the lines were just as good, if not better.

Story wise the smuggler story is not epic like the warrior or knight, but I still found it very entertaining if only for the comic relief it grants. Even grouping now on alts, I hate to group with female smugglers because that is my toons voice and giggle. Only toon I feel that way about.

Story wise, the best story on the republic side to me was the Knight. Although, the only one I have replayed so far is the Consular (shadow and sage), it isn't terrible, but it does not compare to any of the imp stories. I still find it better that the trooper story.

Syas
04.17.2013 , 01:18 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Arutar View Post
I mean, the entire trooper story, for example, can be described by a loud "Sir, for the republic, sir!", no matter which alignment you are. (´Though an evil tropper might leave out the "Sir")
Have to disagree quite a bit there, have you finished Chapter 3 on a Trooper? Trooper starts out as "Sir, yes sir" for sure, it moves away from that very quickly unless you are Neutral.
Thall | Combat Medic ||| Kannus | Kinetic Shadow
Dars'yl | Immortal Juggernaut ||| Sudor | Concealment Operative
Ebon Hawke