Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Worries about Planetary Comms and the GTN

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Worries about Planetary Comms and the GTN

Themanthatisi
04.24.2013 , 01:49 PM | #71
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
Only problem with this theory is that crafting was never very profitable to begin with. It has always been more of a credit sink than a license to print money. Best "profit" item any of my crafters can make is a color crystal that sold for roughly 100k a few months ago. It's now common for the 2 day timer to run out when it's listed for 65k. The materials to make that 65k crystal cost roughly 60k off the GTN. Acquiring the mats via missions could cost much more, depending on your luck at getting the required purple mats.

The real credit generator in the game is the CM now.

Not counting the timer for placing CM items on the GTN, you could quickly and easily convert a $15 armor set into roughly 1,000,000 credits. Accumulating 1,000,000 credits via crafting would take a very long time.

Crafting the very expensive items on the GTN is like real life business... you have to be extremely rich to even be able to make them in the first place. Since it is now a lot harder to get extremely rich via crafting, there will be less crafters down the road and the prices of craftable-only items will eventually go way up.
Why I never got into crafting... I will not disagree with you, and my wife is a huge crafter so she is also worried. However, the costs to buy lower level stuff was way too expensive, even if the crafters were not making much profit. I am not a expert, I am not going to do all the math to determine their profits. What I do know, is the game feels better to me now. I feel I earned my commendations and I should be able to use them in a way that feels more rewarding.

My experience has been, by the time you finished a planet, you had all these comms to spend but on mods that were already too low lever for the next planet, and became frustrating. Now, we can go onto the next planet and buy the level appropriate gear/mods, and IMO, much more beneficial to the community as a whole.

Also, it was possible, when you are leveling multiple toons, which my wife and I do, we would use the coms to buy the mods needed for another toon, for their proper level, still avoiding as much as possible buying them from the GTN. In reality, nothing has changed, its just more convenient now for the player to play and level up.

I do not know what the percentage of crafters are compared to non crafters, but I would venture to say, non crafters are in much greater numbers, thus the benefit is now for the many, not the few.

Imagine how the people feel that make crystals for leveling when +41 crystals showed up on the CM and in Cartel Packs. Talk about killing a profession.... much worse and I will never support selling of anything that can be a stat benefit in the CM (crystals and armor with mods in them).

Do I use the crystals? Yes, but if they were removed, I would not loose sleep over it.. Just using any advantage a person can, even if I do not support that advantage. However, using earned comms to make my toons better for the planet they go into, not leaving, is something that should have been in place from the beginning.

Viperswhip
04.24.2013 , 02:24 PM | #72
Well, to be fair, you find a lot of blue items, or at this stage of the game, I have mods, mostly purple for almost every single level available, bound to legacy now. Yep, I spend a lot of money moving the mods around, but whatever. I have a max level cybertech, I think I was first to max on my server back at launch and made a lot of money selling the level 50 purple space upgrades, but I only ever plan on crafting for myself.

I make purple grenades and purple med packs/stims. That's it, it's is absolutely not worth making purple mods whilst leveling or going and buying them on the GTN. You level so quickly in this game through questing, space combat, or pvp (where now, I swapped my level 28 +41 expertise purple mod light sabre for a level 13 blue I had in storage and did more damage) that it's not worth spending a lot of money on purples, or probably even the level appropriate mods. It's only necessary to fully kit you and your companion if neither of you are heals, and you want to do heroic content solo.

I make greens until I get the blue I want, and then the only odd blue that I can't get from planetary coms. What's the cost for the lower level mods? 2 and 7? I only bother with augment kits on my pvp toons.

So, to keep a companion and yourself fully modded, let's say every second mod grouping, you are looking at 168 comms per cycle. That's a lot; that's more than you make on one planet. So you still need the GTN to have appropriate level blues for you and a companion. If you skimp on your companion gear it's half that obviously. Meanwhile, doing that you still need to buy ears and implants, and you will gtn your blues. I guess I don't see the big deal, it's not that huge of a change from before.

schmel
04.24.2013 , 05:06 PM | #73
Quote: Originally Posted by Hyfy View Post
That would be a gnat not a knat.
beat me to it

Glowrod
04.24.2013 , 06:11 PM | #74
Quote: Originally Posted by ScarecrowES View Post
It's kind of a backwards statement you're making. If you've managed to find yourself overleveled for the planet you're on... as you obviously have, and has been my experience through nearly all of my playthrough... then clearly you don't even need the comms you are earning to complete the content you're being exposed to. Thus, you have a surplus of items you have access to, not a lack of said items.
I think what you are not understanding is that some people don't want to see how hard the game can be. I prefer things to be easy, concentrating instead on the story and the exploration. Also, my level doesn't directly determine how easy the game is, my equipment does. Why should I be forced to swear in frustration and pull my hair out to play the game in a way I don't enjoy? What difference does my play style make to you?

Also, I don't do end-game content. Once I get to that point, I reroll. What you are proposing is that somehow, my play style and how I enjoy playing affects you. It does not. Get over yourself.

VIP Lounge Member

AsheraII
04.24.2013 , 06:33 PM | #75
Gladly, a crafter can generally make more varieties of mods within a level range, than what is available from the comms vendor. When you see a mod with X endurance and Y cunnning for lvl Z at the comms vendor, you can bet that crafters can make a variation of the same quality level, but with slightly less endurance but more cunning.
The mods from the comms vendors are all of the high endurance variety. Especially players who outlevel most of the content they do could care less about the endurance, but would rather improve their damage output.

Only a tank might want the comms vendor variation. And tanks rather kill stuff faster too while they're leveling. So I'm pretty sure there's still a market for crafted mods. You just don't want to crraft the exact same model as the ones those vendors sell..
. . . . . . ▀‼▀▀▀▀
__=##(▀▀[Φ]▀▀▀▀‼‼▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀‼▀▀!
|####/ ( /==|####/

branmakmuffin
04.24.2013 , 06:36 PM | #76
Quote: Originally Posted by ScarecrowES View Post
I haven't read if you are denied to ability to earn planetary comms for missions below your current level, and I am highly concerned how this change to the comms system will impact the GTN and crafters. I apologize if this is too long for you to read, as most forum-ites have the attention span of a knat.
Way to make a compelling case. I assume this is just another random QQ.

MaximusRex
04.24.2013 , 06:44 PM | #77
The comms system has nothing to do with impact on crafting. The comms you get allows you to buy crap level gear mods, only good for companions and maybe totally new characters. No one is going to pay hundreds of thousands of credits per mod for crafted mods for companions, and its not difficult to get a superior set of "basic" gear for your character.

Crafting needs to be gutted and redone to be viable in this game, blaming comms for craftings issues is misplaced.

Mowermanx
04.24.2013 , 07:39 PM | #78
Quote: Originally Posted by MaximusRex View Post
The comms system has nothing to do with impact on crafting. The comms you get allows you to buy crap level gear mods, only good for companions and maybe totally new characters. No one is going to pay hundreds of thousands of credits per mod for crafted mods for companions, and its not difficult to get a superior set of "basic" gear for your character.

Crafting needs to be gutted and redone to be viable in this game, blaming comms for craftings issues is misplaced.

Wow, this post, Its just so wrong in every way.
One could only conclude from your post that the devs should remove the planetary comms and vendors altogether, as they are so pointless to have in the game.

Seriously, only an idiot would say that the comms/vendors have no impact on crafting, they are directly competing for a space. economics 101.
Nothing is as easy as it seems, the devs must play a balancing game, if you were to remove the comms and vendors, would enough new crafters enter the market and pick up the slack and provide all the stuff necessary to progress in the game, thus lowering the prices? or would there be massive holes where people run into brick walls because their gear has become so obsolete, and they cant find replacments?
In a way, its really too late for a call like that, it should of been done at release, then tuned as the game matured, because to supply a server, hundreds would have to enter the market now to supply enough gear for levelers, and I just cant see that happening.
A possible solution is open up the faucet on all the 1 - 49 crafting mats including the purple, so that niche can be exploited more fully by anyone wanting to enter the market.

ScarecrowES
04.25.2013 , 01:44 AM | #79
Quote: Originally Posted by Glowrod View Post
I think what you are not understanding is that some people don't want to see how hard the game can be. I prefer things to be easy, concentrating instead on the story and the exploration. Also, my level doesn't directly determine how easy the game is, my equipment does. Why should I be forced to swear in frustration and pull my hair out to play the game in a way I don't enjoy? What difference does my play style make to you?

Also, I don't do end-game content. Once I get to that point, I reroll. What you are proposing is that somehow, my play style and how I enjoy playing affects you. It does not. Get over yourself.
I would think the obvious response to a statement like this is... yes, if changes are made to a particular system to favor a particular type of player, then it absolutely affects every other type of player. Now... I am not an MMO player by nature. SWTOR is my first, and I've actively avoided them in the past due to the inability to rely on any group of people when there is not community incentive. Many of the basic design choices of the game are not my thing. However, I also embrace the "when in rome" concept of community interaction. I accept that this is an MMO, and that it comes with certain requirements and obligations on my part, and that participation in the game world involves adapting to the playstyles therein.

I did not come into SWTOR, point out all the ridiculous design choices as compared to any respectable modern RPG, and insist that the game be tailored to the way I want to play. When in Rome.

It seems to me you have not embraced the nature of the MMO in your playtime... and that's fine for you. However, then acknolwedge that the game is designed around players that DO embrace those basic MMO concepts, and as a result of your deviation from those concepts in your own play, you may not be able to get the best experience from said system. Remember too that it was your choice. It is not the game's responsibility to adapt to you.

ScarecrowES
04.25.2013 , 01:58 AM | #80
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowermanx View Post
Wow, this post, Its just so wrong in every way.
One could only conclude from your post that the devs should remove the planetary comms and vendors altogether, as they are so pointless to have in the game.

Seriously, only an idiot would say that the comms/vendors have no impact on crafting, they are directly competing for a space. economics 101.
Nothing is as easy as it seems, the devs must play a balancing game, if you were to remove the comms and vendors, would enough new crafters enter the market and pick up the slack and provide all the stuff necessary to progress in the game, thus lowering the prices? or would there be massive holes where people run into brick walls because their gear has become so obsolete, and they cant find replacments?
In a way, its really too late for a call like that, it should of been done at release, then tuned as the game matured, because to supply a server, hundreds would have to enter the market now to supply enough gear for levelers, and I just cant see that happening.
A possible solution is open up the faucet on all the 1 - 49 crafting mats including the purple, so that niche can be exploited more fully by anyone wanting to enter the market.
I think, ultimately, the only to ever ensure crafting will always have a place in the economy, and in fact be highly sought after by consumers, is to differentiate player created goods from those generated by the game.

One way to do this would be to create a sort of... condition? system. In the real world most things devalue if they're not new, first-time purchases. You could buy a shirt in a store, walk out the door, and immediately sell it to someone else, and it's value would autmatically be less, even if only through perception, for the fact you could no longer consider the item "new" or "unowned." A similar concept could be applied to items sold second-hand on the GTN, where items received from the game and then resold on the GTN would have some aspect of their nature changed in a way that would make them slightly less desireable than a crafted version of that item. Perhaps in a mod a slight reduction in the stats for that item over a crafted verion, or perhaps less armor value... something to that effect. Not enough to render the "drop" item useless, but to merely make a crafted item more attractive - and not for the dropped item itself... only when the item was resold on the market.

You could also turn that concept on its head, by making crafted items somehow slightly better than non-crafted items of the same type in all situations.

In an effort to better establish a proper learning curve for crafting, and ensure a proper distribution of many crafters building cheap items at the low level, and a few elite crafters building the rarest and most valuable high end items, there should be a more... expansive learning curve. Currently that curve is more like a straight line, with no real added incentive to continue to the farthest reaches in any particular category. That could be changed to ensure that few crafters would ever be able to reach the absolute peaks of the profession, but that when they were there, they could produce some of the rarest goods, largely competition free from each other (making no crafter ever able to learn more than a fraction of what's out there, like in real life), and able to make a living from their expertise.