Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Worries about Planetary Comms and the GTN

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Worries about Planetary Comms and the GTN

ScarecrowES
04.09.2013 , 11:58 PM | #1
I haven't read if you are denied to ability to earn planetary comms for missions below your current level, and I am highly concerned how this change to the comms system will impact the GTN and crafters. I apologize if this is too long for you to read, as most forum-ites have the attention span of a knat... but I feel this is something that needs to be addressed, or at least discussed.

So traditionally, the commendations for a particular planet were only really useful to you if you were properly leveled for the planet. If you were overleveled, the comms were no good to you, leading a lot of people to horde them (bad), or dump them for gear to sell to other players (good). I think the new system of planetary comms is meant to make comms more generally useful to the player that earned them in that regard. If you're underleveled, you always need that better gear, but if you're overleveled, lacking gear at your level never hurts you because you're already more powerful than the challenges you're going to be facing.

However, much of the GTN is dedicated to providing a player-to-player system to obtain the upgrades a player needs, precisely when he needs them - and thus an economy is formed. If you wish to level your character's gear beyond what your current comms can support, you use your credits on the GTN to get the gear you need. This provides a service to the player, but also a means of income for crafters and other players to earn money creating and selling goods for others.

My fear is that the new system ruins this economy by allowing players to trade comms earned at low levels to be used for goods at high levels, thus eliminating the need to participate in missions (for credits and materials) and the larger economy to maintain gear leveling. Worse, I fear that if there is no system in place (and I haven't yet heard of any) to prevent players from earning comms for grey-leveled missions, it will allow players to go replay missions on previous planets and earn comms they can use on higher level ones - which can be, certainly, game-breaking.

Obviously, a mission on Coruscant does not have the same difficulty, nor does it offer the same experience or monetary/gear reward, as one on Corellia... but under the new planetary comms system, a comm earned in either has the same value, and the items that can be purchases with said comms are of the same price. But clearly a level 10 gear mod does not have the same value as a level 50 one, and yet the new comms system makes it so, and gives players equal access to either... this, essentially defeats the purpose of having a GTN for gear leveling and for crafting in general.

Why such a system was implemented, but prices not adjusted in the vendors, is beyond my understanding. For such a system of universal currency to work, as in any other scenario, items of higher value have to cost more. A Corellian mod should cost significantly more comms than a Coruscant one... but it did not appear that this was so when I checked. Bioware must either return an individual planet comms system, or BETTER, level the prices with the value of the mods. It's the only way to make the system fair.

Otherwise, players MUST be prevented from earning comms from lower level missions, using mods earned from lower level missions on higher level gear, or being able to horde more comms than it takes to buy the highest level gear at any planetary vendor... thus ensuring comms can only be used for gear appropriate to the planet in which they're earned, or for the next upcoming planet (for over-leveled players) - no highe - and giving players incentived to use their comms when they earn themr.

An alternative would be a system like I was told existed in the beta, where lower-level planet comms could be traded for higher level ones at a reduced value... much like the warzone-to-planetary comm trade works. This system would have been greatly preferrable to the system that was implemented for planetary comms.

Anyone else share this concern?

Lokideetwenty
04.10.2013 , 12:04 AM | #2
I completely see the (possible) economy issue. But, I do not believe the answer is to remove the potential to earn a reward just because you outlevel content. A person who does a lot of flashpoints, PvP, or all quests will eventually outlevel a lot of the content in the game. Now you're penalizing the player for not following a strict system of "level this fast for this reward or else" and I don't think that's the right direction.

I'm sorry I don't have a solution to the (possible) economy issue, but two wrongs don't make a right to me.

Jeweledleah
04.10.2013 , 12:14 AM | #3
you can only have 50 coms at any given time. you HAVE to spend them before you can earn more. coupled with time it takes to travel between planets and how much quicker it is to earn gold through dailies and high level quests? and doing low level quests for coms becomes not worth the bother.

people who've been buying gear on GTN, will continue to do so. people who crafted it for themselves, will continue to do so. and people who like me, spent coms on upgrades at the time of finishing the planet, updating the gear every 4 levels essentially - for character AND companion? will continue to do so. the only difference is - overflow is actually useful, for anything other than "buy some mods to sell on GTN"

JimG
04.10.2013 , 12:16 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by ScarecrowES View Post
So traditionally, the commendations for a particular planet were only really useful to you if you were properly leveled for the planet. If you were overleveled, the comms were no good to you, leading a lot of people to horde them (bad), or dump them for gear to sell to other players (good).
Not exactly true. If I was over-leveled, then I just bought mods for my alts with them. They weren't useless to me. In fact, it got to the point where I could mod most of my gear while leveling just from the commendations from my higher level alts.

Mowermanx
04.10.2013 , 12:31 AM | #5
Theres a few flaws in your thesis.
First one is glaring, and that is you have always been able to do this since release.
Next is 50 isn't a yardstick anymore, so really pointless using it as one.
Finally, and this is a clause to the first I mentioned, the high level mods are of far less value to the crafter than low/mid level.
So, prior to 2.0, as a 50, I could farm every H2 & H4 solo up to and including Voss, buy mods with the comms and profit.
In 2.0, I can do the same, but, the difference being, I can now select which level range I want to spend the comms on, instead of having a wide range of levels of mods to sell.

But to counter this somewhat, while leveling, I can now purchase mods for my level, and not just buy a stack and flood the GTN with them as I used to because as you mentioned, being over leveled by a big margin at the end of the planet meant the comms were useless to a lot of people. This could allow more opportunities for the crafters.

Time will tell, and I'm sure the dev/s in charge will monitor the situation, but personally, I don't see a problem.

JamieKirby
04.10.2013 , 12:47 AM | #6
While I am concerned for a select few of the crafters, the ones that price their items fairly, but the ones that are greedy and severely overprice everything they make, I say let them get screwed over for once.

I like how they have done the commendations, though I would like the binding to be Bind on Legacy, the items you get via commendations to be bind on legacy, no economy issues.

GoofyGamer
04.10.2013 , 12:53 AM | #7
As the previous posters stated, this has no negative effect. If anything it will have a positive effect.

Your limit for comms went from something like 13.000 down to 50. You can only buy gear at exactly or below your level.

At best, you can keep 3 or 4 pieces of gear at level with that - the rest will come from the GTN or crafting.

Near the end, everyone will try to hold on as much as possible to their comms for the Makeb gear at 50.

Any overleveled char doing grey quests for "profit" is beyond help and won't have much negative effect to your sales on the GTN. (Doing any heroic content at any level takes time. Even a 50 will have to spend quite a bit of time running through "greys" on say Tatooine. In that time he could have easily completetd dailies or the Voss weekly which has a much, much bigger return on time invested.")

Since crafting those mods (by that i mean everything - mods, armorings, enhancements, barrels, crystlas) is fairly cheap for the majority of the level range, you shouldn't have a problem making a living with one of those professions.

My FP addicted chars have actually lost their main source of income with this change - they didn't craft before because it was cheaper and faster just "dump" the mods i've "outleveled" on the GTN. They can't afford to do that now anymore. Now they will have to craft stuff again - and get upset by the "undercut wars"

Infernixx
04.10.2013 , 01:02 AM | #8
After watching the 'crafters' make obscene amounts of credits by REing Raid gear mods and then filling the GTN with 27 mods for the last...FOREVER...so that people can pay them for BiS gear, my concern for their economic welfare is somewhere just above absolute zero.

But not much.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Infernixx nailed it. This is correct.
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
There is no excuse for any single use item to ever cost more than a month's subscription. Anyone who pays $10 or $20 for a single use item is hastening the death of TOR and feeding the rise of TOR:The Cash Shop Menace.

Hyfy
04.10.2013 , 01:06 AM | #9
That would be a gnat not a knat.
US. ARMY Military Police Corps

Sarcasm, a bodies natural defense against stupid

stockmks
04.10.2013 , 01:10 AM | #10
I think the only valid solution would be to buff crafting comms to be greater or equal to that of the planetary comm blues.

Its so delightful since the patch to receive a planetary comm regardless of what level i am, where im playing and how im getting it, and know that its actually going to be useful. Somehow, this has added enjoyment to my game, so positive!!!

I've made a good amount of credits from cybertech myself, so feel for your concern, but buffing cybertech is the only solution id suggest. The new rewards are awesome!!!