Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

#1 New Player Mistake: Not Selecting Advanced Class

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
#1 New Player Mistake: Not Selecting Advanced Class

Plo_Coon's Avatar


Plo_Coon
04.08.2013 , 11:54 AM | #1
I help new players out when I can. I figure, if I help new players enjoy the game faster, more will stay with the game and that expands the player base. A small player base seems to be the death bell for an MMO. And I like this MMO. That being said, sometimes veterans are not as nice as they should be IMHO. The Alt-F4 answer to almost any question is annoying.

So, from helping people out, you see some patterns. Mostly they fall into 'Didn't read the codex' or 'Doesn't read the map or its tool tips' or 'Just missed it". These are normal.

The noob mistake that I think is a problem is - new players come to the fleet for the first time and do not take the advanced class mission just off the elevator. I see this often....a lvl 17 guy in Hammer Station with pitiful DPS or a Jedi on Tyhon who can't beat a lvl 14 boss even though he's lvl 18. I take them back to fleet and point them at the guy. Then I ask them (politely) why they didn't take the mission. And common answers appears to be
1) Carrick station was cool and I wanted to look around, then I couldn't find it.
2) It wasn't a mandatory mission so I didn't take it.
3) How was I supposed to know it was important.
The fact that it is not mandatory, implies it is optional.This problem is compounded by the fact that they can leave Carrick station with their ship, moving on with the class missions, without an advanced class.

I think we are loosing players to this issue. Bioware should consider making the selection of advanced class - or at least talking to the guy on Carrick station - MANDATORY. Maybe you don't have to make class selection mandatory before leaving Carrick Station but I would consider it as an option. At least put a green triangle over his head and put it in the mission list.

This would help everyone....noob and veteran alike.

ErosGyne's Avatar


ErosGyne
04.08.2013 , 12:31 PM | #2
well for me wasnt a mistake, after my 4th toon, i created a BH and level him until 50 with out a AC,for the fun of it,and presented more challenging, and i did it again with my operative(with this one i pick AC after finish class storie), it has fun for me. but i never group with other players, because i know they wouldnt take it well
i fine do to "stupid" things if you do it alone, do it while involving others, for me thats the mistake
but like you, me and many other, we have to "educate the noobs" lol

Gidrea's Avatar


Gidrea
04.08.2013 , 12:43 PM | #3
Quote:
3) How was I supposed to know it was important.
This is the number one mistake right there, and perhaps the #1 problem. I remember not clicking on the 'Bounty Board" on Carrock Station because I was a Jedi, not a bounty hunter. Four toons later I find out there's easy XP to made there, not to mention all the information on crew skills you can acquire.

So now I always tell new players to click on every quest giver they see, and to look carefully for them. You can always delete a quest later if you don't want it.
Gidrea / Sallah / Amandageddon / Mädison / Sweetpeä / Randava / Lexä - The Harbinger

Shock and Jawa / Population Control - The family you chose, not the one your parents stuck you with! Join us and be a Jawa!

CaldaRaric's Avatar


CaldaRaric
04.09.2013 , 07:22 PM | #4
For me, playing Jedi Knight, there was a guy with that triangle over his head right when I walked off that elevator. He told me to talk to the Advanced Class Trainer, who also had the triangle. It was all in my Mission Log as well. I just started about two weeks ago, so maybe it's new?

Gidrea's Avatar


Gidrea
04.09.2013 , 07:45 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by CaldaRaric View Post
For me, playing Jedi Knight, there was a guy with that triangle over his head right when I walked off that elevator. He told me to talk to the Advanced Class Trainer, who also had the triangle. It was all in my Mission Log as well. I just started about two weeks ago, so maybe it's new?
No, but I'm pretty sure the triangle doesn't light up unless you're at level 10, which is the soonest you can select an AC. Some people leave the starter planet before level 10, and thus don't get the mission there. Once you've moved on, it's easy to miss it. It would be nice if we just automatically got the mission when hitting level 10.
Gidrea / Sallah / Amandageddon / Mädison / Sweetpeä / Randava / Lexä - The Harbinger

Shock and Jawa / Population Control - The family you chose, not the one your parents stuck you with! Join us and be a Jawa!

Kokkomo's Avatar


Kokkomo
06.18.2013 , 08:15 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Plo_Coon View Post
I help new players out when I can. I figure, if I help new players enjoy the game faster, more will stay with the game and that expands the player base. A small player base seems to be the death bell for an MMO. And I like this MMO. That being said, sometimes veterans are not as nice as they should be IMHO. The Alt-F4 answer to almost any question is annoying.

So, from helping people out, you see some patterns. Mostly they fall into 'Didn't read the codex' or 'Doesn't read the map or its tool tips' or 'Just missed it". These are normal.

The noob mistake that I think is a problem is - new players come to the fleet for the first time and do not take the advanced class mission just off the elevator. I see this often....a lvl 17 guy in Hammer Station with pitiful DPS or a Jedi on Tyhon who can't beat a lvl 14 boss even though he's lvl 18. I take them back to fleet and point them at the guy. Then I ask them (politely) why they didn't take the mission. And common answers appears to be
1) Carrick station was cool and I wanted to look around, then I couldn't find it.
2) It wasn't a mandatory mission so I didn't take it.
3) How was I supposed to know it was important.
The fact that it is not mandatory, implies it is optional.This problem is compounded by the fact that they can leave Carrick station with their ship, moving on with the class missions, without an advanced class.

I think we are loosing players to this issue. Bioware should consider making the selection of advanced class - or at least talking to the guy on Carrick station - MANDATORY. Maybe you don't have to make class selection mandatory before leaving Carrick Station but I would consider it as an option. At least put a green triangle over his head and put it in the mission list.

This would help everyone....noob and veteran alike.
You are absolutely right !

I am Jedi Knight, Level 11. But I couldn't see the Adv. Class mission in the fleet. Now I dont know What to do !
Always I am losing. Terrible situation
RESIST !

Eternalnight's Avatar


Eternalnight
06.18.2013 , 09:33 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Kokkomo View Post
But I couldn't see the Adv. Class mission in the fleet. Now I dont know What to do !
Always I am losing. Terrible situation
Go back there and get the mission maybe.

Kokkomo's Avatar


Kokkomo
06.18.2013 , 01:40 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Eternalnight View Post
Go back there and get the mission maybe.
I went back to fleet but I couldnt find adv. class mission or adv. class trainer again

I am really sorry, I cant go to forward.
RESIST !

Joesixxpack's Avatar


Joesixxpack
06.18.2013 , 01:45 PM | #9
I recently saw an L34 smuggler in a WZ.
SifuStoli Sage | Joesixxpack VG | BBQ'Ribs GS | Hawt'Sauce Guard | Dark'nStormy Scrap
ilotSufiS Mara | BBQRibs Sin | BBQSammich PT | BBQSawce MM | Dark'n'Stormy Op Med
PROPHECY OF THE FIVE

Tatile's Avatar


Tatile
06.18.2013 , 01:45 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Kokkomo View Post
I went back to fleet but I couldnt find adv. class mission or adv. class trainer again

I am really sorry, I cant go to forward.
Right, on the Fleet:

Republic Fleet = go to Tython and Ord Mantell Departures Lift (West Side) = Talk to NPC with Quest there.
Imperial Fleet = go to Korriban and Hutta Departures Lift (East Side) = Talk to NPC with Quest there.

Come back if you have problems.