Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I've given up on Flash Points and Operations.

cidbahamut
04.02.2013 , 01:36 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by galadimana View Post
... which is too bad. This kind of elitist snobbery - insulting newer players, telling them to 'lrn2play', berating them for not knowing the 'proper order' of their attacks, etc.. - this kind of garbage will absolutely drive me out of the game (and people like me).

Game designers/Devs, take note - choosing this path of designing the game to be unfriendly to casual players will be the end of the game, and good riddance.
Wait, did you just blame the developers for the player community's behavior?

What is this I don't even

LarryRow
04.02.2013 , 01:52 PM | #22
OP, are you sure you are going through the progression properly? Turn on your LFG for HM FPs and Story Mode Ops and leave it on while you do your Dailies. Dailies are important for rakata implants and earpieces, and for decent PvE relics; and you can buy high levels mods with the cash.

You can also select just Lost Island Story mode. Do not do hard mode without seeing it once in story mode.

From these endeavors you will get black hole comms and columi gear. Once you are columi/black hole, you can start doing Hard Mode EV/KP and Story Mode EC. Once you are Rakata/Black Hole, you can do Story Mode TFB and Hard Mode EC.

By the way, you only have a week. Get going.
A classic sig that should not be lost:
Quote:
Stunned , pew pew hack slash , stunned , running backward circles, stunned cannot move, pew pew, break stun, 30 second snare, wha?!?!!? stunned, knockdown, ...less stun more pew pew and hacknslash please.

mikebevo
04.02.2013 , 02:17 PM | #23
Making the game so sensitive to not using the proper, perfect attack rotation is both petty and boooring. I have better things to do than play a game that requires me to 'become an expert' at it - or with players that insist on the same.
There is nothing saying anyone has to become a expert at anything, you can get through any solo content in the game without learning a rotation or knowing your abilities.

That said, if someone is going to do group content or progression content, they should be expected to learn their class and their abilities. Donít want to learn, that is fine play solo, but donít expect every group to carry you to gear. Get with friends, they may be willing to carry you, but the normal pug may not. Personally I donít expect anyone to be perfect, mistakes are going to happen, but as long as they are trying I am willing to help them with advice and helping them get gear.

But whatever - if the game becomes dominated by this attitude, I guess I'll have to go elsewhere to get insulted by supercilious morons.
While I agree with you that people that belittle others in group play is wrong and should not be tolerated, I have to wonder is calling people morons any better?

galadimana
04.02.2013 , 02:18 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by cidbahamut View Post
Wait, did you just blame the developers for the player community's behavior?

What is this I don't even
Not really, but in designing the game to need precise combinations of the exact right powers at specific times, they are sending the game in a specific direction, which requires people to, for example, view videos of particular battles on Youtube **before** ever attempting them in order to have any hope whatsoever of succeeding.

So that, in turn, breeds a kind of player that will get upset when one or more of the team hasn't "done their homework".

This is a path that isn't casual-friendly, nor does it make for a fun game, for me at least. I get enough of that at work, tyvm.
Shadowlands Server. Mellow Company guild.
City of Heroes was my only other MMO. RIP, thanks to corporate stupidity.
Maybe we can build a COMMUNITY on the forums and in the game.

cidbahamut
04.02.2013 , 02:26 PM | #25
Not really, but in designing the game to need precise combinations of the exact right powers at specific times, they are sending the game in a specific direction, which requires people to, for example, view videos of particular battles on Youtube **before** ever attempting them in order to have any hope whatsoever of succeeding.

So that, in turn, breeds a kind of player that will get upset when one or more of the team hasn't "done their homework".

This is a path that isn't casual-friendly, nor does it make for a fun game, for me at least. I get enough of that at work, tyvm.
Are you new to the MMO scene? As far as MMOs go this one is really up there in terms of being casual-friendly. More to the point, it doesn't matter what the game design is like. So long as there are even the most minute differences in abilities, the community is going to figure out what the best combination is and promote that as the accepted standard. It really and truly isn't a game design issue unless content is literally unbeatable without said excessive optimization.

If that's not your thing and it bothers you that much, MMOs might not be for you.

Radzkie
04.02.2013 , 03:14 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Eternalnight View Post

The first thing that comes to mind is some ninja pulling dps (typically sentinel) who constantly rushes ahead of the rest of the group and jumps into new enemy mobs before the tank has pulled causing the whole pack to attack him, then expecting to be healed through it or expecting the tank to have aggro before the tank is even there.

I'm just highlighting this post.

If a DPS constantly runs ahead and aggro's everything, I wont heal him.

Although, I always ask the DPS to wait for the tank. I make an effort to solve the issue in a nice way. Sadly, often the DPS wont answer me or s/he will reply rudely. Normally after that happens, both me and the tank(even if it's just some random tank I just met) will allow the DPS to go ahead and do what he wants... AKA we sit there and watch him die.

Yes, FPs can be two manned and all that, but that doesn't mean everyone wants to let the DPS lead the group.

Granted, I normally don't que solo. Most of my groups are "premades" so I don't deal with these issues often.
Imperial Agent: "Are you done talking? Can I go ahead and kill you now? Yes? Good."

zzoorrzz
04.02.2013 , 06:56 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Radzkie View Post
I'm just highlighting this post.

If a DPS runs ahead and aggro's everything before the tank can even get there, I wont heal him.

Although, I always ask the DPS to wait for the tank. I make an effort to solve the issue in a nice way. Sadly, often the DPS wont answer me or s/he will reply rudely. Normally after that happens, both me and the tank(even if it's just some random tank I just met) will allow the DPS to go ahead and do what he wants... AKA we sit there and watch him die.

Yes, FPs can be two manned and all that, but that doesn't mean everyone wants to let the DPS lead the group.

Granted, I normally don't que solo. Most of my groups are "premades" so I don't deal with these issues often.
I just hope u are talking about actual hard fights, not that u watch such DPS die in every regular group of mobs where it doesnt really matter who starts the fight.

Radzkie
04.02.2013 , 07:16 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by zzoorrzz View Post
I just hope u are talking about actual hard fights, not that u watch such DPS die in every regular group of mobs where it doesnt really matter who starts the fight.
I'm talking about DPS that constantly run ahead and aggro everything in a FP.
Imperial Agent: "Are you done talking? Can I go ahead and kill you now? Yes? Good."

Kufuffelupagus
04.02.2013 , 09:45 PM | #29
... which is too bad. This kind of elitist snobbery - insulting newer players, telling them to 'lrn2play', berating them for not knowing the 'proper order' of their attacks, etc.. - this kind of garbage will absolutely drive me out of the game (and people like me).

Game designers/Devs, take note - choosing this path of designing the game to be unfriendly to casual players will be the end of the game, and good riddance.

Making the game so sensitive to not using the proper, perfect attack rotation is both petty and boooring. I have better things to do than play a game that requires me to 'become an expert' at it - or with players that insist on the same.
I agree that insulting new players and elitist snobbery isn't welcome, and shouldn't be.

However, I disagree with what you're saying to the game designers. There is plenty of end-game content that casual players who may or may not have optimised gear and a good rotation could get through- dailies in four areas, Story Mode flashpoints, even most Hard mode flashpoints and maybe Story Mode Operations (depending on the group).

Think about how easy it is to just Google "SWTOR sentinel rotation", or "SWTOR level 50 sentinel gear" (for example). If players want to participate in harder content, the information is out there... I don't think it's over the top to expect people to know how to play and gear their character for harder content. There's even in-game tutorials and information about end-game stuff on this website. You'd think that if someone nicely suggested you should work on your gear and/ or rotation, a decent person would thank them and ask for more information or look it up themselves. I did, when I was new!

Without knowing more about what's happened to you, OP, I'd say: keep at it, don't let nasty people ruin your fun. If you haven't found a friendly guild yet, try looking or putting a post in your Server's sub-forum.

galadimana
04.02.2013 , 09:59 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by cidbahamut View Post
Are you new to the MMO scene? As far as MMOs go this one is really up there in terms of being casual-friendly. More to the point, it doesn't matter what the game design is like. So long as there are even the most minute differences in abilities, the community is going to figure out what the best combination is and promote that as the accepted standard. It really and truly isn't a game design issue unless content is literally unbeatable without said excessive optimization.

If that's not your thing and it bothers you that much, MMOs might not be for you.
'Understanding that it's good to be an expert' and 'expecting that others are all experts, otherwise they are not worthy of one's time, consideration, respect, or polite treatment' are 2 different things. The more games are designed to be so hard as to make 'proper rotations' and outside game knowledge the difference between beating a scenario and a team wipe, the more this elitist attitude is promoted.

I am certainly new to the WoW-esque MMO type, though I do have experience with another MMO, and the more this WoWish kind of gameplay/design is reflected in SWTOR, the less I like it, just my opinion. I'll be voting with my wallet as far as that is concerned - as long as I enjoy the game, I'll be here, but I certainly won't stand around and watch while people like the OP are treated the way he claims while others take a superior attitude because they know the game better - or for any reason, for that matter. A friendly community is more important than some guy's ability to "win".
Shadowlands Server. Mellow Company guild.
City of Heroes was my only other MMO. RIP, thanks to corporate stupidity.
Maybe we can build a COMMUNITY on the forums and in the game.