Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Removing F2P endgame = bad business?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Removing F2P endgame = bad business?

DarkDajin
03.28.2013 , 03:18 AM | #1
If you have followed the patchnotes from the PTS on 2.0, you may have noticed that with the arrival of level 55, most end-game grinding gear, such as tionese and war hero gear have been removed.

Will this mean the end of some of the advantages F2P has brought this game?

F2P will no longer have an incentive to continue playing warzones at level 50 for example.
Currently, they can buy warzone passes from the GTN and use it to play and grind for better gear.
In 2.0, they have no reason to purchase said passes, as there is nothing to work towards and thus these peope will probably stop purchasing passes and lower the warzone population.

This is seperate from the fact that the new 'Top tier/ranked warzones' are again behind a cash barrier, thus resulting in the very problem of low population, that F2P was supposed to solve.

Is this yet another bad move? Discuss

killmaimburn
03.28.2013 , 03:20 AM | #2
Tionese/Rakata is replaced by Blackhole and Campaign gear.

Sir-steve
03.28.2013 , 04:30 AM | #3
If F2P people are buying things off the GTN and not the Cartel Market, then there is no business impact i.e. they add zero revenue to the bottom line. The only thing it does impact is the availability of people for paying customers to play with.

Uber_the_Goober
03.28.2013 , 04:34 AM | #4
Did you read the part about the new tiers of gear? Or just the part where your spidey-senses went all haywire?

The freepers will have to buy the expansion, sure, and then they'll have access to the higher level stuff. The expansion is the hook, the current game is the bait.

DarkDajin
03.28.2013 , 04:51 AM | #5
1: Black Hole comes from drops, which F2P can only roll a few times/week for.

2: The only reason passes are available on the GTN is because suppliers buy them from the cartel market. Less demand means the suppliers will purchase less from the cartel market.

3: You forget why there are people who are still F2P, either they do not have access to money to spend on the game (they still create revenue through the system described in 2). Or are too frugal to spend cash for the subscription. In which case the 20 USD fee, which is more than a months subscription, might be an even greater step to overcome.

Sendai_S
03.28.2013 , 04:57 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Sir-steve View Post
If F2P people are buying things off the GTN and not the Cartel Market, then there is no business impact i.e. they add zero revenue to the bottom line. The only thing it does impact is the availability of people for paying customers to play with.
This is untrue. One of the more under-realized aspects of SWTOR's f2p model is that other people buy things with cartel coins and then proceed to sell them on the GTN. All of those Cartel market items were bought with cash by someone somewhere. Yes, even the "complimentary coins" a sub gets each month can be considered to have a monetary dollar value as they are paying for them with a subscription.

I'm not saying why they do it. I'm not them. But that is what's happening. A cartel market item is a cartel market item. It was bought with cash. End of line.
---
Griefing doesn't make you cool. It doesn't make you better player. All it does is tell the rest of the world that you are not someone worth knowing.

Vepo
03.28.2013 , 04:59 AM | #7
F2P players will always want more than they are entitled too. I can only recommend that if you want more, sub to the game, end of story.
The Red Eclipse - EU/EN-PvE
Alric_Annondu - "Bioware used to be good until they took an EA to the knee."

Devlonir
03.28.2013 , 05:03 AM | #8
F2P was always sold as "free to level 50" so when 50 isnt endgame anymore, that means no free endgame indeed.

Though, in all honesty, I am expecting them to add the increased level cap to F2P as well a month or 2 after RotHC launch. And that only access to Makeb causes you to need to spend money, much like Section X. But it would be bad business to give it away for free immediately.
"Cows go 'Moo', Dogs go 'Woof', MMO Players go 'The PVP is unbalanced!" - Yahthzee
"I'm starting to get the feeling that BW and their MMO are not the dysfunctional ones." - Rafaman

Glorthox
03.28.2013 , 05:04 AM | #9
I will always be a subscriber. F2P is so boring and very much lacking. Cartel Market is equally as lame. So if you are a F2P person, just subscribe to the game and quit complaining!

Taurax
03.28.2013 , 05:11 AM | #10
Though leveling, doing dailies, and heroics, people will gain 'classic and basic' coms, which will let you buy the dread gear set at level 50, which is better than the tionese/columi set. You can do heroics once a day as FTP, on Belsavis, Ilum, and Voss, as well as run your limit of FP and Ops, and still make quite a few coms to get you the armor quickly. Just doing the Section X dailies, will get you enough coms to get 1-2 pieces a week.

If the FTP people want more higher end gear, and to participate in the new ops, then simply pay for the expansion, which is 20 bucks. Better than spending money on the cartel packs.
Aljebra

*Problem solving to find solutions, then go random to cause chaos for the fun of it*