Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Kitru's New Class Idea

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Kitru's New Class Idea

Kitru
03.25.2013 , 10:01 PM | #1
For the last few months, I've been working on a class idea. Rather than doing the normal "half baked" attempts at building a class, I just went whole hog and put together an entire class from the ground up, complete with both ACs, companions, story, abilities (with numbers) and spec for both the Republic and Imperial versions.

Before you criticize this as simply "not gonna happen", I should mention that I've actually thought about how this would be implemented. Since it involves a *lot* of voice work as well as new animations, locations, and scripting, it's probably not going to be free. My basic thought is that this class should be released as part of a paid expansion with this mirror class as well as another that I'm working on (and maybe another battleground). I would make it cost $5-10 (so about half as much as RotHC). As a paid expanion (and a low cost one at that), the development costs would be offset relatively quickly (and probably generate a profit since you could probably expect most subscribers to pitch in an extra $5-10 to get access to a couple of new classes with new stories) and the presence of some new classes would definitely bring in new players to the game, so it could be something of a double win.

The classes themselves are based off of the Echani, though I view them more as a culture than as a species (similar to Mandalorians). Since there isn't exactly much lore that I could find concerning the Echani and Thyrsians during the Old Republic time frame, I decided to write some of my own while fitting within what I *could* find.

First off, I had the Bengali Uprising (wherein Thyrsus rebelled against the Echani proper) take place only 20 years ago (I couldn't find a timeline for it, so I came up with it myself). I chose 20 years because it's recent enough for it to be "recent" but not so recent as to be simply simmering: as such, the Bengali Uprising is *over* and Thyrsus is free and independent. It also means that, right now, the Thyrsians and Echani are still fundamentally similar cultures: one may be patriarchal and worship the sun and the other matriarchal and worship the moon, but their fighting styles and basic psychology are still fundamentally similar which explains why, even though they separate later on in the timeline, right now, they're still using similar techniques and equipment.

Secondly, the Bengali Uprising caused *massive* amounts of damage to the Eshan, the home planet of the Echani, such that it's barely liveable any more, as well as massive damage to both sides' populations. My reasoning behind this is multifold: it explains how the Thyrsians, who only have a single planet, managed to achieve military parity with the combined might of the other 5 planets of the Echani Confederacy, namely by being willing to cross the line in order to achieve their goal of independence. It also gives a *really* good reason for the Echani and Thyrsians to hate each other with a livid passion even though they're, nominally, the same culture with minute differences. It also explains why both cultures would be more willing to bring in other races to be raised amongst them (the ability to predict incoming attacks is more predicated upon growing up in a culture where combat is communication rather than an inherent racial ability): losing almost an entire generation of their people meant that they were more willing to bring in outsiders to be taught the Echani fighting style so that it wouldn't be lost.

Third, there isn't much explicitly written about the Echani fighting style. It's only described in generalities so I assigned some specifics. The "pure" version of Echani used by the Republic class is based upon elemental mimicry, based upon the 5 classical elements (Fire, Air, Water, Earth, and Spirit). The Thyrsian version is mechanically identical but based upon 5 "pillars of victory" (Aggression, Mobility, Adaptability, Resilience, and Observation). In addition, rather than being a purely unarmed discipline (which Echani is generally described as), it's a mixed bag where fighters choose one or the other depending on personal preference (considering there's an Echani Ritual Brand, I would think that armed combat isn't just a side note).

(btw, rather than putting all damage numbers into their base coefficients, I instead used the damage dealt by the basic attack as the standard; essentially, all damage numbers represent how many multiples of the basic attack they deal; it's similar enough to the coefficients for the soft number balancing that I've done and gives you a decent guideline for how much damage the attacks should do for certain gear set ups)

So, here goes...
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

Kitru
03.25.2013 , 10:02 PM | #2
Echani Fighter / Thyrsian Aspirant (Base Class)
Weapons: Fist Weapon
Armor: Medium
Primary Attribute: Strength
Class Buff: 5% surge rating
Power Source: Tech
Resource: The Echani Fighter uses 2 separate resources; Breath, which is mechanically identical to Force for a Shadow (capped at 100; regen static at 5/sec), and Intuition, which is mechanically identical to Focus (capped at 12; starts at 0, degrades when out of combat, gained with specific attacks that consume Breath)

Class Abilities
Spoiler

Echani Infighter / Thyrsian Brawler (Advanced Class)
Weapons: Fist Weapons and Shield/Generator
Roles: Tank (Earth spec), DPS (Water spec), DPS (Spirit spec)

Infighter/Brawler Abilities (these are not absolutely complete, nor are they in order; I only included the "important" ones that define the build):
Spoiler

Infighter/Brawler Skills/Talents:
Spoiler

Discussing the basic idea/playstyle of the specs, I aimed for stuff that hadn't been done with other classes while capitalizing on the dual resource aspect of the class. Earth is a tank spec that exists somewhere between Guardians and Shadows on the continuum of active v. passive mitigation, with some limited retributive damage and decent AoE but bursty. Water is a spec that alternates between blowing through all of their Breath and then through their Intuition with a lot of secondary controlling effects. Spirit was, for those who played WoW, imagined as a melee version of the Arcane Mage: chain casting an ability that gets progressively more expensive and damage with each continuous cast. You then build your resources back up to prepare to unleash the fury once again.

Echani Fencer / Thyrsian Gladiator (Advanced class)
Weapons: Double Bladed Vibroblade and Generator
Roles: DPS (Fire), DPS (Air), DPS (Spirit)

Fencer/Gladiator Abilities:
Spoiler

Fencer/Gladiator Skills/Talents(these are not absolutely complete, nor are they in order; I only included the "important" ones that define the build):
Spoiler

For the Fencer/Gladiator, Spirit is functionally identical (which makes sense seeing as it's the shared tree). For Fire, I created a DoT spec with twist insofar as the DoTs themselves exist more as as bonus damage (unlike most DoT specs where the damage dealt by the DoTs is the primary goal) and as a resource consumed by the tier 8 abilty to cause it to deal a crapton more damage (since Extirpate removes any of your DoTs on the target in order to deal a crapton more damage for each present; the damage is actually more than the DoT would have dealt over its entire lifetime). Air was designed as a ridiculously mobile playstyle, emphasizing bouncing in and out of melee while still maintaining a cohesive melee role (the primary "combo" is Disengage>Flying Kick>Whirlwind Combination which has you bounce out, rush back, and, and then spin in a circle to do a crapton of damage).

Echani Companions:
Spoiler

Thyrsian Companions:
Spoiler
My New Class Idea

Kitru
03.25.2013 , 10:06 PM | #3
Echani Story:

Act 1:
Spoiler

Act 2:
Spoiler

Act 3:
Spoiler
My New Class Idea

Kitru
03.25.2013 , 10:06 PM | #4
Thyrsian Story:

Act 1:
Spoiler

Act 2:
Spoiler

Act 3:
Spoiler
My New Class Idea

ArchangelLBC
03.25.2013 , 10:55 PM | #5
Jeez you really DO like walls of texts don't you =P

I like it though!
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

Shadix
03.26.2013 , 10:40 AM | #6
Hi Kitru,

I really like your idea here. If there was one thing I would like to see changed, though, it's this:

"...Echani focused on light weaponry and armor, relying more on agility rather than heavier weapons and brute force."

^ Taken from wookieepedia.

I believe a cunning based class would fit better with the overall theme of the class (society) and actually balance the disparity of medium strength and cunning armor gtn sales, leaving more reason to sell or make cunning based medium gear. The way I see it, cunning armor can be rare to find unless you are able to make it yourself or know someone who can.

Mull it over

KYZRSSS
03.26.2013 , 10:54 AM | #7
Wow. Incredible amount of detail and work OBVIOUSLY went into this.
Is this your application to bioware?

Sprgmr
03.26.2013 , 11:37 AM | #8
These two sound like loads of fun. Definitely a new way to play Star Wars. And It's always fun to see new avenues of lore explored. Bravo!

Kitru
03.26.2013 , 11:48 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Shadix View Post
Mull it over
I thought pretty hard about what mainstat to give to the class. Originally, I thought about having them use Aim (at that point I was seeing them as using Techblades and Techstaves and the explanation would be that Aim has connotations of improved observational skills and would fit within a context of precision strikes and pressure point attacks), though I also considered Cunning along with Strength. I settled on Strength because, as you can readily tell, they're a melee class. I also felt that the aesthetic of Sentinel gear fit with the general theme of the Echani/Thyrsians moreso than the Smuggler/Agent gear did. Think of it this way: which stat makes the most sense as to making you punch and kick harder? Strength just fits the bill with the least thematic wrangling, in my opinion.

It's important to remember that mainstat is, honestly, a largely arbitrary decision. Knights and Warriors use Strength (and it improves their Force powers, which doesn't really make sense unless you realize it's a mechanical/thematic disconnect necessary for reasonable gameplay) because it's thematically appropriate for them to do so. Consulars and Inquisitors improve their melee attacks with Willpower (because honing your mind makes you swing your lightsaber harder?). Regardless of which mainstat is chosen, it's going to overvalue that mainstat compared to the others since, right now, they're all functionally equal (2 ACs on each side for each mainstat; the inclusion of this class and the one I'm working on now would mean that 4 ACs use 2 of the mainstats and the other mainstats are left with just the 2).

As to "balancing out GTN sales", it's important to remember that the primary reason why there are less Cunning gear sales isn't because of a natural preference for the game to use a specific mainstat. It's because there are just *fewer* Cunning users (in the sense of characters played rather than outright options). Arbitrarily choosing to assign a mainstat in order to balance out problems with the economy isn't really a wise course of action; making those Cunning classes more viable/enjoyable options so that people are more willing to play them *is*.
My New Class Idea

Kitru
03.26.2013 , 11:49 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by KYZRSSS View Post
Is this your application to bioware?
Yes. Yes, it is.
My New Class Idea