Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PTS Closing? What happened to Merc/Mando changes Eric Musco??????

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
PTS Closing? What happened to Merc/Mando changes Eric Musco??????
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

cashogy_reborn
03.25.2013 , 01:19 PM | #1
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post

Mercenaries/Commandos

We are currently testing some changes to DPS for Mercenaries/Commandos. Tentatively you will see some of these changes the next time we update public test (not today) but note that this is entirely subject to change! Pyros and Arsenals are getting some love to their core abilities that should alleviate some of the PvP issues. Some of these changes are being rolled out today while others are currently being tested (the Combat/PvP devs are testing these changes against each other as I post).

so we are never going to see the changes that were being play-tested? or did they just never happen and this was just an "appease the growing mob with bait and switch" tactic? since there will not be a "next time we update public test".

this post was made, and shortly after Pyrotech was nerfed into the ground. that had better not have been the changes that were being hinted at.

we tested the changes. we provided feedback ad nauseam. this was the only dev response to that feedback. and now the server is being closed, and all testing is finished? i just dont understand.

i thought we were supposed to be seeing increased dev-player communication? or has the team responsible for the "account name only for login" project been meeting the dev post quota?

help us help you. please.
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

Philastra
03.25.2013 , 01:46 PM | #2
They are certainly good at insinuating incoming changes, but they didn't exactly say when the changes would come. Kinda underhanded imo. Next time we update test.....poodoo
It only takes one candle to scare away the dark, or just hire a Bounty Hunter....

wishihadaname
03.25.2013 , 01:56 PM | #3
Oh boy.... if were going live with the current build I may just have to finally reroll.... I hate to say it but with the current build both of my favorite classes are damn near unplayable. The commando changes have been analyzed to hell and back, but what hasn't been tested much it seems is the new operative Lethality.

Just for the sake of trying one last time, here goes: Can you guys please give lethality back our dot crit/damage and give us some range? The utliity and rolls are nice but our damage just plain sucks outside of melee range now, and our survival hasn't increased enough to let us actually fight in melee. I realize that next to nobody plays lethality operatives, but compared to all the other dps out there, even including commandos, were rather pathetic since our ranged damage actually went DOWN from what it was on live and our kiting ability has dropped comparatively as well since so many others got better gap closers and controls...... Do I really have to roll a smasher?
-Dimitri Dolohov, lvl 55 Lethality OP. Toxic personality (Retired until viable again)
-Sgt. Amit Dolohov, lvl 55 Gunny Mando,. Rifle wielding hipster.
I'de rather lose a real fight than win via premade.

Corran
03.25.2013 , 02:06 PM | #4
aint just the commando/merc that needs help. at least your class is still parsing decently in a pve fight.

assassins/shadows are not going to be allowed to do anything but tank in operations.
"No one makes a victim of folks I'm sworn to protect." - Corran Horn
http://www.twitch.tv/dixa1

KeyboardNinja
03.25.2013 , 02:07 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
In Eric's defense, Austin Peckenpaugh is pretty horrible at his job.
I haven't seen any evidence of this, and insulting the developers isn't really going to get us anywhere. While I absolutely don't agree with every change that has been made to classes in 2.0, you have to admit that the DPS classes are much closer to balanced than they have *ever* been before (everything is within a 7-9% margin at most, and generally 1-3%). Tanks also are even more balanced than they were on live (and they were pretty close, historically).

It's also worth noting that AP doesn't do all of the class balancing and theory crafting by himself. He does have a team that works under him that pops into the forums *very* rarely. Not every poor decision is his fault, and not every great change is his idea.

Regarding the OP, I'm pretty sure we'll see the merc/commando changes land in the final version of 2.0. It would certainly be better if they would get some game testing time, but we'll have to make do.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dragonslayer on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (combat sentinel) Nimri (df scoundrel)
Averith (hybrid sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (jugg tank) Effek (ap powertech)

cashogy_reborn
03.25.2013 , 02:09 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Corran View Post
aint just the commando/merc that needs help. at least your class is still parsing decently in a pve fight.

assassins/shadows are not going to be allowed to do anything but tank in operations.
oh, i know that Merc/Mando is not the only class that needs dev attention. crit chance still needs to be addressed, and that effects everyone.

things are not looking good for 2.0 atm

Quote: Originally Posted by KeyboardNinja View Post
Regarding the OP, I'm pretty sure we'll see the merc/commando changes land in the final version of 2.0. It would certainly be better if they would get some game testing time, but we'll have to make do.
that means that there is even less chance of us having a say about the coming changes. instead, we are going to be stuck with w/e comes to Live for what could be a very very long time. and i do not have high hopes for whether or not the coming changes will improve Merc/Mando.
The King of Bads

ArchangelLBC
03.25.2013 , 02:18 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by KeyboardNinja View Post
I haven't seen any evidence of this, and insulting the developers isn't really going to get us anywhere. While I absolutely don't agree with every change that has been made to classes in 2.0, you have to admit that the DPS classes are much closer to balanced than they have *ever* been before (everything is within a 7-9% margin at most, and generally 1-3%). Tanks also are even more balanced than they were on live (and they were pretty close, historically).

It's also worth noting that AP doesn't do all of the class balancing and theory crafting by himself. He does have a team that works under him that pops into the forums *very* rarely. Not every poor decision is his fault, and not every great change is his idea.

a) Insulting the developers may not get us anywhere, but we already aren't going anywhere in a lot of ways. Also their continued treatment of DPS commando in PVP environments is just a never ending train of "what the hell?" that reveals a fundamental misunderstanding of the class and how it works in a live combat environment. Such a fundamental misunderstanding that I feel completely comfortable saying Austin is bad at his job. He's free to correct me by actually doing his job well. Is that kind of narrow minded of me? Perhaps. On the other hand it's been a year of uphill battles just trying to get us on PAR with other classes (need I remind you how long we had to wait for an interrupt?)

b) He's lead, and part of that means he gets the credit when his team does things right and the blame when things are subpar. In defense of the rest of his team, who I will concede are also bad at their jobs, he doesn't exactly post with a crazy amount of frequency either.

c) You are much more confident than I am that we'll actually see the promised changes. Since they've given us no indication what those changes are we can't make an educated guess on what kind of issues internal testing may be facing when it comes to balancing those changes. Given their history, I'd almost prefer they left us alone, unless they're going to finally give us a good offensive cooldown. Historically, the only changes they've ever made to us that weren't unmitigated disasters were fixing problems in the tree (deadly cannon) and giving us things we should have had since day 1. Ok not quite fair. Cell Charger change was a net positive change, and the change of the Accuracy Talent to an Armor Pen talent was actually pretty good too.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

SafeJungleFever
03.25.2013 , 02:33 PM | #8
Dev comment would be nice. You know, soon. As in, before 2.0 when we get hit in the face with something stupid as has been the case so far...

Gonna give a simple QoL anti-hammer-shot-spam suggestion. grav round has a 45% chance to refund 8 cells/heat no more than every 6 seconds.

cashogy_reborn
03.25.2013 , 02:45 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by SafeJungleFever View Post
Dev comment would be nice. You know, soon. As in, before 2.0 when we get hit in the face with something stupid as has been the case so far...

Gonna give a simple QoL anti-hammer-shot-spam suggestion. grav round has a 45% chance to refund 8 cells/heat no more than every 6 seconds.
kind of redundant to the heat/ammo regen that already exists in Arsenal/Gunnery specs. would be easier to just increase that passive resource regen to 10 every 6s (up from 8). that has been suggested a bunch.
The King of Bads

Jherad
03.25.2013 , 02:56 PM | #10
I think the devs finally realised that rather than the PTS generating positive hype for the expansion, it just opened the door on a whole heap of terrible design decisions. Crit changes, class balance, bolstering, itemisation. You name it, they screwed it up.

They don't have the talent, money or manpower to fix the problems, so they're closing the door again. There'll be more changes, but we won't see them, because then we'd just be pointing out how crap they are again.

They need the expansion to do well financially - much more than they need to make the game 'better'.
Zacharah - Commando / Chasso - Merc
Youtube / Twitch
2.4 is the PvP Patch! ... J/K, Removing RWZs trolololol