Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Crew Skills needs improving

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Crew Skills needs improving

JamieKirby
03.28.2013 , 05:50 AM | #11
I am not a crafter, never liked the crafting side to any games that had it, i was the type that gathered the materials to sell, i did it on wow, i did it on lotro, i even did it on sto and i made loads of profit, the crafters loved me, i sold the materials at a reasonable price and they crafted items with the materials and sold it at a reasonable price, profitable for them, a good price for the buyers.

Then i came to this game, slightly before the game was released and from what i have seen, the crafters in this game are greedy, selfish and cheapskates, they refuse to pay 2k for a stack of Rubat Crystals, Silica, Desh and let me tell you, the amount of stuff you can make from 99 rubat crystals, you could make more then 2k, but like i said, they are greedy and cheap.

I am sure there are some fair crafters out there, but i haven't met them ingame at all.

Kaerwolf
03.28.2013 , 06:44 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by JamieKirby View Post
I am not a crafter, never liked the crafting side to any games that had it, i was the type that gathered the materials to sell, i did it on wow, i did it on lotro, i even did it on sto and i made loads of profit, the crafters loved me, i sold the materials at a reasonable price and they crafted items with the materials and sold it at a reasonable price, profitable for them, a good price for the buyers.

Then i came to this game, slightly before the game was released and from what i have seen, the crafters in this game are greedy, selfish and cheapskates, they refuse to pay 2k for a stack of Rubat Crystals, Silica, Desh and let me tell you, the amount of stuff you can make from 99 rubat crystals, you could make more then 2k, but like i said, they are greedy and cheap.

I am sure there are some fair crafters out there, but i haven't met them ingame at all.
Now I have not particularly been looking for such crystals myself but when I have been searching for materials I can only use your own argument against you for "gatherers". I usually find the mats in small overpriced stacks. So i think that it's safe to say that the greediness isn't limited to crafters in this game in that aspect. Played WoW a lot of years ago and I my experience was that merchandise in demand was overpriced there as well.

wainot-keel
03.28.2013 , 07:16 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by JamieKirby View Post

Well, I wish I saw a full stacks of rubat crystals at 2k. Never seen such a thing. Mat prices are outrageous most often than not, that's why I end up getting my own mats. Basically, I can say that mat sellers are greedy too.

Wizard_Thoarin
03.28.2013 , 07:59 AM | #14
In my opinion, new crafters biggest problem is getting a hold of enough regular harvested raw materials (green crafting RAW's) and not the rare blue's or purples for the better schematics you get from reverse engineering. getting a paltry 2 or 4 green raw materials for your money and time just isn't worth it. They need to double or triple the base return of these missions at the least... I'd prefer a X5 for a base of 10 green raw materials with the crit returning 20. An increase in those raw materials would make it much easier to stay ahead of the Reverse Engineering curve. You can leave the rate for blue and purple grade raw materials where they are for the most part.
Wizards First Rule: People are Stupid

psandak
03.28.2013 , 08:05 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by wainot-keel View Post
Well, I wish I saw a full stacks of rubat crystals at 2k. Never seen such a thing. Mat prices are outrageous most often than not, that's why I end up getting my own mats. Basically, I can say that mat sellers are greedy too.
I agree and disagree. Because the GTM is only setup to list by overall price and not by price per unit finding cheap materials can be a tedious affair but not impossible.

The problem starts with the fact that most often the smaller stacks are more expensive per unit but because the stack is small the overall price is lower and so they get listed first. So, in order to begin to look for cheap materials (or even figuring out a good price to sell your materials), you have to start at the end of the list of available materials. The only problem with this is that you then see the most outrageous prices like 500,000 credits for a stack of 99 rubat crystals. The result is that most of the time the best pricing per unit is found in the middle of the list. But the only way to find the "good deals" is to mouse over EVERY single listing to get the price per unit.

To alleviate this significant problem, I think that a price per unit column added to the GTM listings would be a major improvement to the GTM and would help with materials pricing.

EagleRaale
03.28.2013 , 03:26 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Wizard_Thoarin View Post
In my opinion, new crafters biggest problem is getting a hold of enough regular harvested raw materials (green crafting RAW's) and not the rare blue's or purples for the better schematics you get from reverse engineering. getting a paltry 2 or 4 green raw materials for your money and time just isn't worth it. They need to double or triple the base return of these missions at the least... I'd prefer a X5 for a base of 10 green raw materials with the crit returning 20. An increase in those raw materials would make it much easier to stay ahead of the Reverse Engineering curve. You can leave the rate for blue and purple grade raw materials where they are for the most part.
Yes, I agree with this. Gathering mats for a pitiful return compare to the time amount spent on crafting and reverse engineering with all the failures doesn't seem worthwhile of the time. If they were to increase the amount of materials from missions, it would help reduce the frustrations involved with crafting. It's rather sad when a company ruins a game over greed by selling Cartel items that robs the crafting professions of it's place in the game.

My suggestion is to look at STO's example, STO gets most of their money from selling keys for the lock boxes that contains a rare ship. So, for Star Wars, they would need to stop selling stuff that kills off Crafting professions and instead start a lock box method to where keys are sold for a chance of a rare speeder or pet or a unique companion, or even a possibility of a legendary weapon. This would help ensure crafting has a stable place in this game and improvements are made.

Khevar
03.28.2013 , 03:50 PM | #17
What I think would be fun (albeit pie-in-the-sky at this point) is for crafting to have a twitch-based component. Such that player skill in doing crafting actually impacted the results.

Imagine a quick-time like event, but with timed intervals, and random events that require the correct option selected in a certain amount of time. The more perfect you execute the crafting attempt, the higher the stats. Better materials would assist in getting better results, but a perfect result would still be obtainable on average materials with perfect execution.

I'd play it.

Edit: The best gear wouldn't come from the luckiest crafters, but from the most skilled ones.

Wizard_Thoarin
03.28.2013 , 08:29 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
I agree and disagree. Because the GTM is only setup to list by overall price and not by price per unit finding cheap materials can be a tedious affair but not impossible.

The problem starts with the fact that most often the smaller stacks are more expensive per unit but because the stack is small the overall price is lower and so they get listed first. So, in order to begin to look for cheap materials (or even figuring out a good price to sell your materials), you have to start at the end of the list of available materials. The only problem with this is that you then see the most outrageous prices like 500,000 credits for a stack of 99 rubat crystals. The result is that most of the time the best pricing per unit is found in the middle of the list. But the only way to find the "good deals" is to mouse over EVERY single listing to get the price per unit.

To alleviate this significant problem, I think that a price per unit column added to the GTM listings would be a major improvement to the GTM and would help with materials pricing.
You do know that if you hover your mouse over the sales price it will show you the price per unit don't you? I go through the list and check the price per unit each time the quantity for sale changes and I hover over the sales price with my mouse to get the per unit sales price. I find the best deals that way. However, I still find the prices way out of line and only use it when I don't have or want to make the time to get the raw materials myself.

Wizard_Thoarin
03.28.2013 , 08:33 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
What I think would be fun (albeit pie-in-the-sky at this point) is for crafting to have a twitch-based component. Such that player skill in doing crafting actually impacted the results.

Imagine a quick-time like event, but with timed intervals, and random events that require the correct option selected in a certain amount of time. The more perfect you execute the crafting attempt, the higher the stats. Better materials would assist in getting better results, but a perfect result would still be obtainable on average materials with perfect execution.

I'd play it.

Edit: The best gear wouldn't come from the luckiest crafters, but from the most skilled ones.
A little too much Star Wars Galaxies without the make schematic option to plug into a factory. Plus, Bioware is too invested in Crafting is not fun but a side thing and we give you companions to do that so you can go out and adventure... I guess crafting never really passed Bioware's goal of "would Vader do this". Anyway, I don't see Bioware adding any kind of skill or twitch based system especially since it could wreck their game balance.

Trushott
03.28.2013 , 08:35 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaerwolf View Post
Prepare to get disappointed, I feel exactly as you and was extremely disappointed with this game's crafting skill system, still am. You can not make gear or modifications for yourself, barely even your own alts if you don't play your main crafter all the way before even starting an alt.

Gathering materials is time consuming and expensive yes, but it is the low returns on Reverse Engineering that is the main problem with this game. It gets even worse end game when there are only a few modifcations you can craft and the gear you can craft is pretty ugly and unwanted by the big general so there's no market for it anyway. All good gear now comes from the Cartel Coins market in those random packs you buy, you can't buy the gear you want mostly other than from other people selling it on the GTN. Modifications can only be bought with comms if you intend to R.E. it to be able to craft it, and you neeed to buy alot...I mean alot....no, higher...A little bit more. All the gear you get from raiding end game that you can't wear yourself you can't reverse engineer, you can only gear up alts for fun or sell it to a vendor as it is bind on pickup.

The whole crafting system in this game is broken and we would be better off without a crafting system at all, really would be more fair to everyone and save BW the headache of maintaining the crafting system(which in anyway is basicly what they've done with the introducttion of the Cartel Coins.)

In 2.0 it gets worse still, so we all know what finger Bioware sticks to all of us who enjoy crafting. They basicly tell us to go play another game without exactly saying it right out.

I agree with only one thing about this post... 2.0 is bad for crafters really bad since they will be MAKING crafters raid for BIS items which is terrible design to not allow crafters to make any BIS items any longer

However for 1-54 it is ridiculously easy to gather and mission everything you need to craft greens and blues for yourself as you level and what ever purples you get for yourself is a bonus on the way up to 55

If you take the three crew skills that compliment each other there is no problems having blues waiting for you as you level

If you keep a stable of alts close together as you level you can craft pretty much everything you need in blues as you level which is more than enough to level with period and any purples you get is a bonus

At end game you can RE til your hearts content for specific purples if you wish but they are simply not even needed while leveling

The only thing as I said that 2.0 will destroy is the ability of crafters to create any BIS items and if you desire them then you MUST raid which as I stated is a mistake a pis-poor design flaw that the deva will end up regretting as it will piss crafters off and people who like to play and never set foot in the hardest raids in games which I am pretty sure makes up a giant portion of the player base in relation to hardcore raiders
Lan'obi Loomis - sage <> Doc Loomis - Scoundrel
Cody Loomis - Gunslinger
How the heck does one fold fitted sheets?