Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Exploits of Special Missions Team 17

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Exploits of Special Missions Team 17

Ventessel
03.20.2013 , 02:15 AM | #1
The thread title was a placeholder while I wrote the prologue/chapter one, this story is now titled:

Heir to Chaos

Introduction --This story is set just prior to the outbreak of the Second Galactic Civil War. Minor changes have been made to the historical record, consider this to take place in an alternate universe which is at first glance indistinguishable from the canon EU.

The Galactic Federation of Free Alliances is desperately trying to rebuild following the Yuuzhong Vong Wars. Numerous worlds have been devastated, and the worlds that were untouched still lost countless men and women in battle against the extra-galactic invaders. In an attempt to rebuild the ravaged infrastructure of the Mid and Outer Rims, as well as Coruscant itself, the Alliance has levied considerable reconstruction taxes on the undamaged worlds.

These taxes are touted by their supporters as being merely the fair price to pay for the sacrifices made on behalf of the Alliance as a whole. Alliance fleets defended the planets which survived, and the Alliance as a whole owes a debt to those worlds that bled to keep the Vong at bay.

But the taxes are heavy, and the price of reconstruction enormous. Corellia was among the first planetary governments to object to the taxes, and complain that other systems were voting themselves largess from the treasuries of wealthy worlds. Other worlds have also voiced discontent over the steep taxes and huge reconstruction projects. Bothawui, Fondor, and Commenor have all raised concerns in the Alliance Senate that these projects are being poorly administered and that most of the funds are lining the pockets of government officials or being spent on the powerful fleets the Alliance still maintains in the wake of the YV Wars.

Recently, terrorist cells on Coruscant have begun targetting government buildings in bombings. Several senators who support the reconstruction taxes have been assassinated in high-profile slayings. Alliance Intelligence has been tasked with tracking down and eliminating these insurgents, and for this purpose Special Missions Team 17 was assembled.

At the same time, old enemies of the Alliance, who have patiently waited on the sidelines of recent conflicts, are moving in the shadows of the galaxy. The Hutts look greedily at the ravaged worlds and sectors of the Outer Rim which are ripe for organized crime to supplant the local governments. The Imperial Remnant has licked its wounds and is flexing its military muscles once again, pleased with her fleets performances against the Yuuzhong Vong. The Hapans, drawn out from their isolation by recent events, look to take a more active role on the galactic stage. The Jedi Order looks for new purpose in the wake of the war, and many Jedi take on padawans and travel to the devastated worlds to help with rebuilding, but some Jedi begin to question the nature of the Order's relationship with the Alliance...

It is an uncertain time in the galaxy, as memories of war fade just enough to dull their horror from the public conscience, but the tools of battle are still readily available...

EDIT: I have uploaded this story to Fanfiction.net, if you would prefer to read it there (the formatting is much easier on the eyes, in my experience) the link is in my notes on Chapter Sixteen, page three of this thread. It is posted under Movies: Star Wars with the same title, Heir to Chaos, and the pen name Ventessel.

Chapter One

Spoiler
The Heir to ChaosAdded Chapter Sixteen-- 17 APR 2013
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” ~ George Orwell

Ventessel
03.20.2013 , 02:16 AM | #2
CHAPTER TWO

Spoiler
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” ~ George Orwell

Ventessel
03.20.2013 , 02:17 AM | #3
Chapter Three

Spoiler

Ventessel
03.24.2013 , 01:59 AM | #4
EDIT 29 MAR 2013: This was the introduction, but I moved it into the first post here as part of my efforts to tidy up this page. As I write chapters ten through fifteen, I am also revising the earlier chapters to create a tighter narrative and try to inject some of the ideas I developed for certain characters earlier in the story. I won't post these changes piecemeal, but instead am going to wait until I can complete the first "act" of this story and then edit each chapter's entry with the revised versions, this way if you want to see all the changes, you only have to read through everything once. I also plan to move some scenes around, to try improving the flow of some chapters.

Any suggestions for tightening up the narrative or perhaps changing the order of a few scenes are welcome, I'd like to know what you think.

Ventessel
03.25.2013 , 01:39 AM | #5
Chapter Three is up, I'll try to have Chapter four posted by Wednesday evening.

EDIT: In a flurry of inspiration, I wrote and edited chapter four, so I guess it's on to chapter five for Wednesday posting...

EDIT: I seem to have completely exceeded my expectations. As of this posting it's 0445 on Wednesday morning and I've posted Chapters Five, Six, and Seven already. Plots are fully developed for the next three chapters, so it's just a matter of putting pen to paper and writing those scenes down. At this rate I can expect to have Chapter Ten by Thursday evening when I'll take a break for the long weekend.

EDIT: Chapter Eight is up, somewhat behind schedule. This is due almost entirely to the fact that I was caught up reading Quifand's outstanding fanfic, here

Ventessel
03.25.2013 , 08:10 AM | #6
Chapter Four

Spoiler

Ventessel
03.26.2013 , 02:13 AM | #7
Chapter Five

Spoiler

Ventessel
03.26.2013 , 09:44 PM | #8
Chapter Six

Spoiler

Ventessel
03.27.2013 , 02:38 AM | #9
Chapter Seven

Spoiler

Ventessel
03.28.2013 , 06:17 AM | #10
Chapter Eight
Spoiler