Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Names, Names, Names...

Ewok-Scout
03.18.2013 , 07:42 PM | #1
I for one, am a person who cares a great deal about my character's name and appearance. I will not make characters with accented letters here, apostrophes there, dashes, and goodness knows what other nonsense.

I have recently discovered that, partially by seeing some of the truly atrocious names people seem to come up with these days, and partly through trying to create alts, names are reserved by characters that are either level 1-20's that most likely have not played since the first month, and partly by level 50's who have moved on to other games, or at least not played for a similar length of time.

-I propose that you issue a mass character renaming for characters on all accounts that have not logged in in the last, say, 3 months. (I don't mean that the character hasn't logged in, I mean that the account hasn't logged in during that period). Ultimately, it's free-to-play - if people want to keep their names, all they need do is log in every 3 months, just to the account, not even the individual characters.

This would allow names that are no longer in use to be recycled, and put back into circulation for the community that pay for the upkeep of the game, and make absolutely no difference to the people who have left the game.

/petition.
"No, they won't! What, you think you're some kind of Jedi, waving your hand around like that? I'm a Toydarian! Mind tricks don't work on me; only money." - Watto

Essence_of_Light
03.18.2013 , 07:47 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Ewok-Scout View Post
I for one, am a person who cares a great deal about my character's name and appearance. I will not make characters with accented letters here, apostrophes there, dashes, and goodness knows what other nonsense.

I have recently discovered that, partially by seeing some of the truly atrocious names people seem to come up with these days, and partly through trying to create alts, names are reserved by characters that are either level 1-20's that most likely have not played since the first month, and partly by level 50's who have moved on to other games, or at least not played for a similar length of time.

-I propose that you issue a mass character renaming for characters on all accounts that have not logged in in the last, say, 3 months. (I don't mean that the character hasn't logged in, I mean that the account hasn't logged in during that period). Ultimately, it's free-to-play - if people want to keep their names, all they need do is log in every 3 months, just to the account, not even the individual characters.

This would allow names that are no longer in use to be recycled, and put back into circulation for the community that pay for the upkeep of the game, and make absolutely no difference to the people who have left the game.

/petition.
They won't do that and I'll give you the reason why. Because then when people DO want to come back say..... after they took a break or played a different game they'll be PO'd about this. Sorry dude but you'll just have to come up with creative names. None of my characters have accented letters or marks and I've kept all but two since the first server transfers.
For the Republic!
Click my referral link here for 7 free days as sub, free server transfer, and free CC unlocks!

Ewok-Scout
03.18.2013 , 08:05 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Essence_of_Light View Post
They won't do that and I'll give you the reason why. Because then when people DO want to come back say..... after they took a break or played a different game they'll be PO'd about this. Sorry dude but you'll just have to come up with creative names. None of my characters have accented letters or marks and I've kept all but two since the first server transfers.
I downgraded to creative names a long time ago, running out of those now. Also, if they are informed by email of this new scheme (which they would be) they have the opportunity to log in at any time to prevent their name being taken. They cannot be pissed off at their own neglect.
"No, they won't! What, you think you're some kind of Jedi, waving your hand around like that? I'm a Toydarian! Mind tricks don't work on me; only money." - Watto

Darth_Halford
03.18.2013 , 09:16 PM | #4
with just the alphabetic characters, there are nearly 12 Million combinations for a five-letter name. You cannot tell me that there aren't any good names left.
Quote: Originally Posted by wjramussen
IF I want my own story, I break out a word processor.

Doctoglethorpe
03.18.2013 , 09:59 PM | #5
A far better thing to do would be to just remove the same-name restriction. Have unique ID's tied to our account names. So I could be Insertname@Doctoglethorpe and somebody else could have the same name if they want it.

Of course make the account name invisible in-game, but viewable in a simple menu for doing invites, whispers and whatever.

Literally everyone wins in that situation.

Ewok-Scout
03.18.2013 , 10:18 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Halford View Post
with just the alphabetic characters, there are nearly 12 Million combinations for a five-letter name. You cannot tell me that there aren't any good names left.
I really don't fancy "xzzxw" and similar. There are not so many words, and there are fewer still "good" words to choose from.

Darth_Halford
03.18.2013 , 10:43 PM | #7
Still, there are enough possibilities that you can find a good one without having to take from another player.

If your characters name is taken from or derived from a dictionary, you've done it wrong (in my opinion)
Quote: Originally Posted by wjramussen
IF I want my own story, I break out a word processor.

jovianus
03.18.2013 , 11:40 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Essence_of_Light View Post
Uh, they've done it before. When I came back to TOR after a long absence (I got the game at release, played for a couple of months, then left it until a couple of months ago) I had to rename several of my chars.From Bioware's point of view, if an account has been inactive for months, nothing particularly changes if a player is PO'd about having to change their names, and people who actually want to come back to the game are probbably not thinking, "Well, there's no point in playing again if I can't use the same name I had when I last logged in 8 months ago!"

Saito_Hiraga
03.19.2013 , 02:16 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Doctoglethorpe View Post
A far better thing to do would be to just remove the same-name restriction. Have unique ID's tied to our account names. So I could be Insertname@Doctoglethorpe and somebody else could have the same name if they want it.

Of course make the account name invisible in-game, but viewable in a simple menu for doing invites, whispers and whatever.

Literally everyone wins in that situation.
This guy's idea is awsome, having an unique ID number that lets you add people as friends, whisper them etc. so that each character stays being unique and eliminating the same-name restriction so everyone can pick any name they want.

Ewok-Scout
03.19.2013 , 05:47 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Saito_Hiraga View Post
This guy's idea is awsome, having an unique ID number that lets you add people as friends, whisper them etc. so that each character stays being unique and eliminating the same-name restriction so everyone can pick any name they want.
Then names would lose their value.