Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why Do I Get So Much Hate For Playing Light-Side Sith?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Why Do I Get So Much Hate For Playing Light-Side Sith?

wainot-keel
03.12.2013 , 06:59 AM | #11
Walk around with the "Honorable" or "Pure" title on your head. That's the best.
And whenever someone tells you how you should play your toon, well, <<infraction worthy insult>> them.

Anyway, why ? Don't really know. Even when it's expected a Sith being evil, people's reactions can be sometimes moronic. I mean, I seriuosly doubt they're all concern abou the lore and stuff, lol.

Except my first character which was clearly light sided, all the others were neutral with a little leaning to one side, but then, once I start grinding HMs and stuff, and the LS/DS options started repeating they wound up with one of the extremes. Doesn't really matter since alignment in the story has no impact (except maybe on the warrior story at some point at the end of act 1)

LordFailstrom
03.12.2013 , 10:33 AM | #12
As far as the Empire being good vs evil...it goes both ways, Rule through Strength does not automatically equate to a lack of benevolence...your average Joe in the middle class of the Empire probably doesn't even see a difference from their cousin in the Republic other than the flag hanging outside of the window...

A nation cannot be described as good or evil of its own accord, only by it's ruling power, if a Jedi with good intentions were to take over the Empire and a few Sith voted into power over the Republic, give it a hundred years or so and they would have completely swapped (Republic becoming Empire, Empire becoming Republic)

If nothing else, be a Sith, go light-side and aim to be the one to make the switch...then go play a Jedi as dark-side and reciprocate...
Anything not given by the original creator, no matter how many people wish to believe it as truth, is actually nothing more than glorified fan-fiction

legolegion
03.12.2013 , 10:52 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
They are evil. Have you not watched the movies, where the Empire is blatantly made out to be the evil bad guys? They kill aliens because, oh hey they're aliens! They put people into slavery. They blow up planets!

Just as the Republic is good with some bad apples, the Empire is evil with some good apples.
sith blew one planet
repbulic commited one geoncide and destoryed a planet
korriban they commited geoncide against the sith
malchor v the destroyed the planet

so 2-1 to the republic.

psandak
03.12.2013 , 11:05 AM | #14
LS/DS are relative. LS is not necessary good and DS is not necessarily evil.

In the case of an imperial - LS tends to be loyal to the empire and takes a long view approach (why kill everyone when they can serve the empire in some fashion). On the other hand, DS tends to be more self-centered and takes a shorter view (this person/these people have pissed me off...they die now).

Both mentalities can be "evil" - those lives you did not extinguish (because you chose the LS option) are now serving the empire as slaves toiling in a toxic swamp.

Nydus
03.12.2013 , 11:22 AM | #15
I tried to have a light-side sith but he was more neutral-dark side than light-side by level 50.

No rage from me; play it as it suits you. I don't view the Empire as an entity that has to be evil, and the Republic as an entity incapable of evil. The Sith and the Empire just tend to be that.

- Arcada
The Arcada Legacy (Ebon Hawk)
Ord'os (Lvl.55 Sorcerer), Naresa (Lvl.53 Operative), Jagrafess (Lvl.19 Marauder)
Nydus (Lvl.54 Shadow), Toclafane (Lvl.27 Guardian)

Berronaxftw
03.13.2013 , 10:20 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
LS/DS are relative. LS is not necessary good and DS is not necessarily evil.

In the case of an imperial - LS tends to be loyal to the empire and takes a long view approach (why kill everyone when they can serve the empire in some fashion). On the other hand, DS tends to be more self-centered and takes a shorter view (this person/these people have pissed me off...they die now).

Both mentalities can be "evil" - those lives you did not extinguish (because you chose the LS option) are now serving the empire as slaves toiling in a toxic swamp.
This is very true, which is why sometimes i choose to kill somebody, rather than damn them to an eternity of slavery.

JouerTue
03.13.2013 , 10:25 AM | #17
when i'm playing sith or jedi i feel forced to begin to an alignment..but when i play non-force users i just do what i want and it's really satisfying. i think you mean companions or npcs..they rage at you because they are evil in this case..

Burgdawg
03.13.2013 , 10:38 AM | #18
Being that the Empire is, well, an empire, so the will of the Emperor is the policy of the Empire. So the Empire is inherently evil.
Mace Windu: "I'm a prophet. I can see the future..." Thug: "Sure you can. What do you see?" Mace Windu: "You. Bleeding." ―Mace Windu and a very unfortunate thug

BlazingShadow
03.13.2013 , 10:40 AM | #19
lightside sith is lame lol

just like lightside jedi, lightside smuggler, lightside commando, lightside consular, lightside agent, lightside bountyhunter, and lightside inquisitor.

psandak
03.13.2013 , 10:45 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Burgdawg View Post
Being that the Empire is, well, an empire, so the will of the Emperor is the policy of the Empire. So the Empire is inherently evil.
Most of the real world's Empires of the past brought about real and positive changes in knowledge, technology, and commerce. Were they all "evil?"