Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Allow SGR to be turned off

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Jherad's Avatar


Jherad
03.11.2013 , 04:17 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Hyfy View Post
I just love how people like you just jump right to the homophobia type slander right away. Myself I don't so much care about the option being there, as a parent that has a kid that plays form time to time it is something that I don't necessarily want him exposed to in game. I am capable of understanding the the implications of such relationships but my son being only 12 years old I don't feel is necessarily mature enough to understand all of the implications involved with such decisions. So please don't insult the intelligence of people like me by going off with the rote homophobia BS just because someone asked for an option to disable it if they so choose.
I can assure you that any kid capable of dealing with the idea of hetero relationships is more than capable of dealing with the idea of SGRs. It's usually the parents that have the problems. SGRs are not some weird 'higher level of complexity'.

If they are not prepared to deal with a game that features flirting or 'fade-to-blacks' in general then SWTOR is probably not for them.
Zachar´ah - Commando / Chasso, Aargh - Merc
The Twinkletoes Legacy
Zachariah's Merc/Mando PvP Guides
2.4 is the PvP Patch! ... J/K, Removing RWZs trolololol

Aries_cz's Avatar


Aries_cz
03.11.2013 , 04:21 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Hyfy View Post
Its not that people are "irked" by the freedom to choose options, this too is a disingenuous argument. And if anything going off of your very own logic, giving people the option to control which flirt options (to include all flirt options) they see if any is adding even MORE options, so the premise of your argument is flawed even on the very face of it.
Ok, I will admit I really did not fully understood what you just wrote here (I might be tired, I am not going to say you somehow stammered in the text making it not perfectly clear). But, if you see my older post in this topic, you will see I consider it bad practice to give any censoring options in game with this age rating, warning, and level of graphical representation of said "censorable" stuff.

You said your 12 year old kid plays the game. And in that case, I have to argue it is on your responsibility as a parent if you let 12 year old kid play something with 16+ rating, sexual themes warnings and what not.

As I said, plenty of other media has much lower age rating, and it is more obvious about sexual themes than this game is.

Now, if SWTOR had anything close to Mass Effect 1 (18+, M ratings) romance scene, I could understand why some people might be troubled by their kids seeing it, but since we have nothing even close to it, I fail to see what all the ruckus is about...
Supreme Commander of all riots yet to come
Without the darkness, how would we recognize the light?
Aries, admin of Czech/Slovak fansite SW-TOR.cz
Check out my story videos or support me by clicking my Referral Link

TheNahash's Avatar


TheNahash
03.11.2013 , 04:22 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by McCamper View Post
Oh boy. I wouldn't have mentioned anything about having your child playing this game. Now they'll rip at you about "you won't expose your kid to SGR but you will expose him to violence!". It has happened many times with people being against SGR in the game.
I personally don't really care for SGRs. I'm straight and I (miraculously, apparently) do not feel my sexual orientation threatened because there will be a button that gives me the option to flirt with an NPC.

What I find quite annoying though, is that people use their children as a means to get something they want (or avoid something they don't), whether that is "violence in games" or "SGRs in games" or anything they don't like.

How is "I don't want my child to see it" OK and the minute someone points out there are other (potentially worse)
things in-game that the same child will be exposed to, the person who mentions it is a troll that doesn't understand a parent's fear?

No, really. Why?

The solution is simple:
Bioware decides what goes in the game. The reason why they add or remove something could be because they support it, because they want to be politically correct or whatever else you can think of. They've already stated that they won't add a toggle button and that it's against the rules to even talk about it.

You don't agree with it? You don't allow your child to play the game.
Simple as that.

theUndead's Avatar


theUndead
03.11.2013 , 04:41 PM | #24
Why my posts were removed from this thread I do not know. But to the OP all I will say is this it really does not matter because the devs have stated that they will not do a toggle of any kind so really discussing this is kinda pointless.
The Hellion Legacy (Harbinger) The Duma Legacy (Shadowlands)
Referal Link
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
As theUndead mentioned, I can't exactly spell out all of our policies in depth, but that should hopefully cover your concerns.

anonnn's Avatar


anonnn
03.11.2013 , 05:17 PM | #25
There is one particular belief, that I doubt has yet been brought up in any of these debates on this topic, that is difficult to just fly in the face of it without at least minimal reflection upon it, and is difficult to argue against people choosing to hold this belief as sacred to themselves and their own chosen way of life. It's a belief not held by all, but it's a belief that has been held sacred for countless centuries by much of the civil world. It's not a belief that is inherently forced on others, it's a belief that is held sacred amongst kinships and mutually shared theologies and entire ways of life.

To ponder the origins and the unstated necessities of this belief is to understand at least an inkling of the nature of some of civilization's rituals, behavioral patterns, and urgencies ...
Boring conversation anyway.
Think twice. . . Think again.
Nullius in verba. . .

s_w_sanders's Avatar


s_w_sanders
03.11.2013 , 05:18 PM | #26
I was not aware that they already said no when I made the thread. I still view this option as a win-win scenario for everyone though, and feel the SGR will hurt the game (based on the views of people being upset about it).

As for everyone else I don't know what the big deal of this option is. It's a win-win you get SGR's and people can turn off SGR's. No one is hurt (maybe some feelings but that's fine). It is a good strategy, and appeases everyone.

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
03.11.2013 , 05:52 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by s_w_sanders View Post
I was not aware that they already said no when I made the thread. I still view this option as a win-win scenario for everyone though, and feel the SGR will hurt the game (based on the views of people being upset about it).

As for everyone else I don't know what the big deal of this option is. It's a win-win you get SGR's and people can turn off SGR's. No one is hurt (maybe some feelings but that's fine). It is a good strategy, and appeases everyone.
As someone who wants SGR options, I will tell you what the problem is.

You see, people who want SGR, say they want it for options! They want more options! However, what they don't seem to want is for you to have more options as well! As in, you know, being able to turn it off and not make it an option, which is itself an option!

Basically, a lot of people who say they want options, tend to be hypocritical, and really mean, "I want this, and I want everyone else to have it too!"

And like previously stated by a previous poster, BW/EA said they will not give this option to anyone. Also, a lot of posters will treat you as evil because you asked for such an option, when they themselves have been saying "Give us more options."

And while I'm for SGR, I do see how "More options! Just...not...that...one!" seems off.

theUndead's Avatar


theUndead
03.11.2013 , 05:53 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by s_w_sanders View Post
I was not aware that they already said no when I made the thread. I still view this option as a win-win scenario for everyone though, and feel the SGR will hurt the game (based on the views of people being upset about it).

As for everyone else I don't know what the big deal of this option is. It's a win-win you get SGR's and people can turn off SGR's. No one is hurt (maybe some feelings but that's fine). It is a good strategy, and appeases everyone.
No your assuming it would appease everyone and that is where you are incorrect. The very idea of this option segregates the community because it calls into question as to why what they deem to view should have any options associated with it at all. To put it simply if one area of dialogue has a option to disable then all should have it or non at all. It should not be implemented just because some people have personal feelings on the sensitiveness of the themes presented.
The Hellion Legacy (Harbinger) The Duma Legacy (Shadowlands)
Referal Link
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
As theUndead mentioned, I can't exactly spell out all of our policies in depth, but that should hopefully cover your concerns.

Jherad's Avatar


Jherad
03.11.2013 , 05:56 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by s_w_sanders View Post
I was not aware that they already said no when I made the thread. I still view this option as a win-win scenario for everyone though, and feel the SGR will hurt the game (based on the views of people being upset about it).

As for everyone else I don't know what the big deal of this option is. It's a win-win you get SGR's and people can turn off SGR's. No one is hurt (maybe some feelings but that's fine). It is a good strategy, and appeases everyone.
By giving the option to 'turn off' SGRs, you promote the notion, particularly to children, that there is something worth censoring about them. That they are, in fact, not equal to OGRs. It is, in fact, lose-lose.

It was not that long ago that interracial marriages were illegal in some states, and you can still find many people today who are offended by the notion of them. Would a 'tick box' in the options to disable that possibility be 'win-win'?
Zachar´ah - Commando / Chasso, Aargh - Merc
The Twinkletoes Legacy
Zachariah's Merc/Mando PvP Guides
2.4 is the PvP Patch! ... J/K, Removing RWZs trolololol

theUndead's Avatar


theUndead
03.11.2013 , 06:01 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Jherad View Post
By giving the option to 'turn off' SGRs, you promote the notion, particularly to children, that there is something worth censoring about them. That they are, in fact, not equal to OGRs. It is, in fact, lose-lose.

It was not that long ago that interracial marriages were illegal in some states, and you can still find many people today who are offended by the notion of them. Would a 'tick box' in the options to disable that possibility be 'win-win'?
A thousand times this.
The Hellion Legacy (Harbinger) The Duma Legacy (Shadowlands)
Referal Link
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
As theUndead mentioned, I can't exactly spell out all of our policies in depth, but that should hopefully cover your concerns.