Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Allow SGR to be turned off

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

s_w_sanders
03.11.2013 , 12:37 PM | #1
Now i've read on these forums and my brother watches tech shows and I guess people are really mad about the inclusion of same gender romance to this game. So I suggest we allow it to be turned off in the options menu. I'm thinking something like when the original mortal kombat came out on snes. We have in it options and they can put a password system in place to turn it on and off so that parents can password lock it off for their kids if they want.

Aries_cz
03.11.2013 , 01:01 PM | #2
Why? Just do not select clearly marked [FLIRT] Option when talking to persons of same gender.
This option you propose would require some weird turning off all [FLIRT] Options, as SGR is not any different from OGR from game code perspective.
Also, it is not like SGR would mean any explicit scenes, I mean, we do not even see normal kisses in OGR, just fade to black and that's it. BioWare got scared after what they did in Mass Effect (even though it mean awesome free publicity, and nothing offending was shown), and they are unwilling to do something like that in any other game now...
Member of Beast Riders, Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU-PvP)
Without the darkness, how would we recognize the light?
Aries, admin of Czech/Slovak fansite SW-TOR.cz
Check out my story videos or support me by clicking my Referral Link

s_w_sanders
03.11.2013 , 01:14 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Aries_cz View Post
Why? Just do not select clearly marked [FLIRT] Option when talking to persons of same gender.
This option you propose would require some weird turning off all [FLIRT] Options, as SGR is not any different from OGR from game code perspective.
Also, it is not like SGR would mean any explicit scenes, I mean, we do not even see normal kisses in OGR, just fade to black and that's it. BioWare got scared after what they did in Mass Effect (even though it mean awesome free publicity, and nothing offending was shown), and they are unwilling to do something like that in any other game now...
Because just that flirt option is enough to irk some people. As for it being the same game code perspective it could be tweaked (sorry not a game designer don't know how or how hard it would be) to put a specific piece of code inside sgr and anything with that code could be blocked with the option off.

Now if that's not possible I don't know but i'm sure it could be done.

CedricJulliard
03.11.2013 , 02:16 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by s_w_sanders View Post
Because just that flirt option is enough to irk some people. As for it being the same game code perspective it could be tweaked (sorry not a game designer don't know how or how hard it would be) to put a specific piece of code inside sgr and anything with that code could be blocked with the option off.

Now if that's not possible I don't know but i'm sure it could be done.
I dont think that EA or Bioware will have a homophobia option in the settings when SGR comes out. As previously stated, just dont flirt with the male or female and you will be able to live your life happily.
Camouflage is the colour of fear... I have no need to hide from my foes... I have no fear of death. My colours I wear openly, they proclaim louder than any words, "I am proud to live - I am proud to die".

Aries_cz
03.11.2013 , 02:16 PM | #5
Of course SGR "could" have some special tag, but I think it is meaningless. You could by that same logic argue to block all [FLIRT] options, because it may be offensive to Christians, Muslims and whomever else to suggest that you can flirt and sleep with someone before some ritual like marriage etc.

People being irked by freedom of choice in RPGs have no business playing them, in my opinion

Now, I am not a huge proponent of SGR (although what guy does not like watching two girls make out? ), but I do not mind them being there AS A CHOICE, as I know I have the freedom to choose other options.

Game is rated as 16+ by PEGI (T for Teen according to ESRB) with following warnings: Blood and Gore, Mild Language, Sexual Themes, Violence.
If any parent feels that his or hers kids might be affected in some bad way by it (although I think that people who blame videogames for violence and such things are stupid), they should not buy it or let them install or play it.
Parental controls already allow that, plus the game needs admin privileges to launch, and if you are paranoid parent in such way, your kids probably do not have admin rights anyway
Member of Beast Riders, Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU-PvP)
Without the darkness, how would we recognize the light?
Aries, admin of Czech/Slovak fansite SW-TOR.cz
Check out my story videos or support me by clicking my Referral Link

CedricJulliard
03.11.2013 , 02:21 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by aries_cz View Post
of course sgr "could" have some special tag, but i think it is meaningless. You could by that same logic argue to block all [flirt] options, because it may be offensive to christians, muslims and whomever else to suggest that you can flirt and sleep with someone before some ritual like marriage etc.

People being irked by freedom of choice in rpgs have no business playing them, in my opinion

now, i am not a huge proponent of sgr (although what guy does not like watching two girls make out? ), but i do not mind them being there as a choice, as i know i have the freedom to choose other options.

Game is rated as 16+ by pegi (t for teen according to esrb) with following warnings: Blood and gore, mild language, sexual themes, violence.
If any parent feels that his or hers kids might be affected in some bad way by it (although i think that people who blame videogames for violence and such things are stupid), they should not buy it or let them install or play it.
Parental controls already allow that, plus the game needs admin privileges to launch, and if you are paranoid parent in such way, your kids probably do not have admin rights anyway

this.
Camouflage is the colour of fear... I have no need to hide from my foes... I have no fear of death. My colours I wear openly, they proclaim louder than any words, "I am proud to live - I am proud to die".

anonnn
03.11.2013 , 03:43 PM | #7
It would be foolish of BioWare to not just go ahead and put a "Parental Controls" tab in the preferences, in which there would be checkboxes at least for SGR and OGR.

Accomodating one and intentionally not accomodating the other would make a very large and very irreversible socio-political statement.
Boring conversation anyway.
Think twice. . . Think again.
Nullius in verba. . .

schnopsnosn
03.11.2013 , 03:46 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by anonnn View Post
It would be foolish of BioWare to not just go ahead and put a "Parental Controls" tab in the preferences, in which there would be checkboxes at least for SGR and OGR.

Accomodating one and intentionally not accomodating the other would make a very large and very irreversible socio-political statement.
Not a bad idea, however I wouldn't use separate checkboxes.
Either you get BOTH romance-options or none.

BrianDavion
03.11.2013 , 03:47 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by s_w_sanders View Post
Now i've read on these forums and my brother watches tech shows and I guess people are really mad about the inclusion of same gender romance to this game. So I suggest we allow it to be turned off in the options menu. I'm thinking something like when the original mortal kombat came out on snes. We have in it options and they can put a password system in place to turn it on and off so that parents can password lock it off for their kids if they want.
the option exists, initing a SGR like a OGR requires you to select a conversation option that says "flirt"

DarthVitrial
03.11.2013 , 03:49 PM | #10
Bioware already flat-out said they would not do this.