Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Primadonna tanks

ubermouth
03.10.2013 , 03:31 PM | #1
vent:
so many cry-baby tanks out there with power-boners and very little situational awareness.
it seems like they play just so they can pull first, soak up heals, and yank from dps, etc
leadership should not be class-based, but rather, skill-based.
learn about positioing, get over rigid class roles, and stop cookie cutter ********.

also, **** gear. gear may make things faster, easier, but you can't gear skill!

end vent.

theUndead
03.10.2013 , 07:51 PM | #2
I'm sorry but I have no idea what your talking about? Can anyone explain?
The Hellion Legacy (Harbinger)
Referal Link
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
As theUndead mentioned, I can't exactly spell out all of our policies in depth, but that should hopefully cover your concerns.

Taleek
03.10.2013 , 11:12 PM | #3
I just read half a post.
*insert witty retort that will become someone's signature*- Kitty Prawn
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=347245
.- Never forget.
"DPS is science, healing is art, tanking is strategy."

jasonthelamb
03.11.2013 , 05:52 AM | #4
I do know what you mean.... tanks who complain about aggro too much (omg dps steals aggro!) or tanks who just have no idea whats going on. I think the best tanks are people who have played both the DPS and Healing role, that way they know the entire fight, and what to expect.

Petnil
03.11.2013 , 05:59 AM | #5
Ill admit. Im a primadonna tank. If you dont let me pull ill just leave. If you dont kill trash ill kill trash and let you get agro on whatever elite your tunneling. If i get abuse for that, ill leave. I dont bother voting to kick. Ill give a warning or two to whomever is pulling, but if that doesnt help im out.

The thing is im a decent tank. Some even tell me im good. But it just ruins my fun if i dont get to pull. Pullagro realy helps alot when your tanking. Ill chainpull if the healer is ready and all are close to full HP, but let me set the pace. I can get a new group easy. Its realy not worth it pissing of your tanks or healers.

ubermouth
03.11.2013 , 07:47 AM | #6
I've seen a ton of tanks get angry on principle. Rather than really assessing how the run is going, or the extent to which other group members are picking up the slack, they whine about how they're the tank etc.

I understand that there needs to be group cohesion and everyone needs to work towards a basic plan, otherwise things get all chaotic. I also understand that a good tank leaves little slack for other players to pick up.

However, it seems like 80% of the tanks on hm fp take themselves very seriously yet they don't even recognize that they are leaving a lot of loose mobs. So i guess what I'm saying is there are a lot of poopy tanks out there.

My job is to work to benefit my group. Not to simply follow a whiny, sub par tank simply because they had the ability to get to level 10 and pick an advanced class.

I'm just proposing that a good leader is not self-appointed ex I'm the leader because I'm the tank. A good leader also recognizes the skill of the group and adjusts accordingly.

For daily hm fp, with a decentlly skilled group, you don't even need a tank. People don't often do that though because it's challenging.

wadecounty
03.11.2013 , 08:00 AM | #7
Of course, there's the opposite argument. I queued as a tank because I wanted to help make the hard mode pop. Now I have to be the one to manage everything to make sure it goes as smooth as possible, and you, mr. "I'm so awesome" DPS, decides he wants to do things like pull before me or not use a proper kill order.

Well, here are the consequences... either I have to work ten times harder, in a role that is harder to find in the first place, because you're an inconsiderate bleep that doesn't know how to properly play your role. OR, I can try to let you die, but have to have the healer on the same page as me, or I'm just making the healer's job harder.

How about you stop being a bad DPS? Is that so much to ask?

A bad tank is a tank that doesn't understand the fights, can't hold single target aggro, can't approach a pull properly... you being a crappy DPS and pulling before the tank, or tunneling elites before normals/strongs, says nothing about the skill of the tank.

ubermouth
03.11.2013 , 08:36 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by wadecounty View Post
Of course, there's the opposite argument. I queued as a tank because I wanted to help make the hard mode pop. Now I have to be the one to manage everything to make sure it goes as smooth as possible, and you, mr. "I'm so awesome" DPS, decides he wants to do things like pull before me or not use a proper kill order.

Well, here are the consequences... either I have to work ten times harder, in a role that is harder to find in the first place, because you're an inconsiderate bleep that doesn't know how to properly play your role. OR, I can try to let you die, but have to have the healer on the same page as me, or I'm just making the healer's job harder.

How about you stop being a bad DPS? Is that so much to ask?

A bad tank is a tank that doesn't understand the fights, can't hold single target aggro, can't approach a pull properly... you being a crappy DPS and pulling before the tank, or tunneling elites before normals/strongs, says nothing about the skill of the tank.
I completely agree that a dim-witted dps can be a nuisance.
But, the scenario I mentioned doesn't include this kind of dps.

WaldoA
03.11.2013 , 09:43 AM | #9
My shoulder is here for you to cry on if you want it

Petnil
03.11.2013 , 10:21 AM | #10
Ill lead my group if needed. Happens a few times in Lost Island when someone say theyre there for the first time. But that makes it even more important to be patient as dps and let me pull. With new dps i might even set targets. As long as people follow orders (If they want me to lead they better) i have no problem with leading a group.

Honestly i find it more fun to lead a good group of inexperienced guys in Lost Island than just plowing through the FP with a group thats both overgeared and know the FP by heart. I dont even mind wiping as long as i see progress.

Basicly if your new to a FP let me know and follow orders. Dont press **** you dont know what is (cannon"boss" in kaon)

Its realy quite basic. Let tank pull, dont aoe near cc, reaply your cc if needed, let tank break cc, kill lowhp mobs first, use your interupts, dont stand in bad sh*t, keep an eye out for pats and cc or move accordingly if needed.
If you do most of this im good. The only real dealbreaker is if you consistently "ninjapulls" I hate ninjapulls allmost worse than ninjarolls.