Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Im playing a nerfed character, That's upsetting.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Im playing a nerfed character, That's upsetting.

Kioshi_Rin
03.08.2013 , 12:24 AM | #1
So ive played my bounty hunter up to lvl 40, and i was doing great in pvp till i dueled the iconic "op asassin" i was murdered of course, he wasnt in stealth, But i was told they nerfed Mercs. Im arsenal spec, and i do good dps, But im told there not good at pvp anymore, will they get buffed? should i re-roll or what, pvp is more important to me than PVE and i like my character alot.

Flying-Brian
03.08.2013 , 02:11 AM | #2
Sorry to say it's only going to get worse if you just want to pvp.
There has been no nerf, they've been that way since patch 1.2c.
While you will be able to manly hold your own till 50, after that you will find yourself getting eaten for lunch.
Sadly arsenal mercs are looked at as a free kill, since they are shut down so easy, and while there are a few things that will help with 2.0, they are just small band-aids and don't stop the bleeding.

If all you want to do is PVP and you like being a bounty hunter, reroll as a pyro Powertech.
You will find you can just faceroll the 10-49 bracket, and have much more fun after 50.

Arutar
03.08.2013 , 04:29 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioshi_Rin View Post
So ive played my bounty hunter up to lvl 40, and i was doing great in pvp till i dueled the iconic "op asassin" i was murdered of course, he wasnt in stealth, But i was told they nerfed Mercs. Im arsenal spec, and i do good dps, But im told there not good at pvp anymore, will they get buffed? should i re-roll or what, pvp is more important to me than PVE and i like my character alot.
1. They will get buffed in 2.0. But so do other classes, so we will see. At least you can kite melees in 2.0. with the energy net, but this will take skill.
2. If you think assassins are op, you clearly have not much experience in pvp (Assass are - sadly - pretty useless in ranked pvp except for guarding nodes in tank / hybrid spec).
3. Mercenary healers are already great in pvp - no ranked wz team without one.
4. Powertechs are better for dps then mercs, especially because they are so simple to use and do bursty dps (spam 3-5 instants, basicially).

Never_Hesitate
03.08.2013 , 07:13 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Arutar View Post
3. Mercenary healers are already great in pvp - no ranked wz team without one.
On JKS I only know of 1 team that runs with a merc heal, most of them have a bubble stunner and an operative as far as I know.
Even worse in 2.0 the 2 other heals will get a mayor push and the merc heal doesn't get a nearly as big push as the other ones do
waiting for ...

Stressfire
03.08.2013 , 08:07 AM | #5
I don't PvP, so it's not a huge problem for me.

But, yeah, getting owned will be a regular thing if you PvP with an Arsenal Merc. The vast majority of our core, high damage abilities are channel-dependent and as such can be consistently shut down with interrupts and stuns. Especially in close quarters with a melee class.

We would do OK with some backup to take some pressure off, but who wants to spend an entire WZ babysitting a DPS?

Merc is a ranged class with no real ability to keep an opponent at range. One pushback (2, I suppose, if you count Missile Blast, but after 3 of those, you are likely overheating) and one channeled slow - not so great for keeping opponents away and not many abilities that can be used on the move.

Never_Hesitate
03.08.2013 , 08:46 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Stressfire View Post
Merc is a ranged class with no real ability to keep an opponent at range. One pushback (2, I suppose, if you count Missile Blast, but after 3 of those, you are likely overheating)
Do you even have missle blast on your quickbar?
As soon as I hit lvl 10 on a bh/trooper this flies right out of it and will never be seen again
waiting for ...

Stressfire
03.08.2013 , 09:06 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Never_Hesitate View Post
Do you even have missle blast on your quickbar?
As soon as I hit lvl 10 on a bh/trooper this flies right out of it and will never be seen again
This is a PvE, perspective, but I sure do, the heat cost is atrocious, granted, but it mainly acts as my "healer rescue" attack, good for dropping regular mobs or at least getting 'em off of their current target. Admittedly, I haven't used it much since Cademimu, mostly due to the heat cost - but the knockdown comes in handy now and again

Never_Hesitate
03.08.2013 , 09:08 AM | #8
This is a PvE, perspective, but I sure do, the heat cost is atrocious, granted, but it mainly acts as my "healer rescue" attack, good for dropping regular mobs or at least getting 'em off of their current target. Admittedly, I haven't used it much since Cademimu, mostly due to the heat cost - but the knockdown comes in handy now and again
They really have to lower the heat costs of this or push the dmg by a lot (which could make it really op) but as it stands it's a really useless ability, except for a few very rare cases
waiting for ...

Stressfire
03.08.2013 , 02:18 PM | #9
Quote:
Im playing a nerfed character
If it helps, you could look at it as playing a character that starts at a significant disadvantage and must excel through skill rather than the good graces of the game's designers.

JimmyTheCannon
03.08.2013 , 05:02 PM | #10
I don't PvP, so it's not a huge problem for me.

But, yeah, getting owned will be a regular thing if you PvP with an Arsenal Merc. The vast majority of our core, high damage abilities are channel-dependent and as such can be consistently shut down with interrupts and stuns. Especially in close quarters with a melee class.

We would do OK with some backup to take some pressure off, but who wants to spend an entire WZ babysitting a DPS?

Merc is a ranged class with no real ability to keep an opponent at range. One pushback (2, I suppose, if you count Missile Blast, but after 3 of those, you are likely overheating) and one channeled slow - not so great for keeping opponents away and not many abilities that can be used on the move.
Missile Blast's knockdown doesn't work on players. Weak/normal mobs only.