Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Bioware companion characters your most fond of

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The Bioware companion characters your most fond of

Rabenschwinge
03.07.2013 , 03:03 AM | #1
I was wondering which characters are generelly liked most - which companions mean most to your characters when you play the game, excluding romances and sexual intermezzos. Characters you ever had a romance with do not count.

For me that would be:
1. Imoen (Baldur's Gate)
2. Bethany (Dragon Age 2)
3. Kira (Star Wars: The Old Republic)
4. Mission (Knights of the Old Republic)
5. Garrus (Mass Effect)
6. Miranda (Mass Effect 2)

I couldn't think of one from Neverwinter Nights, other considerable options (Liara, Isabella, Leliana) have been romances at some point.

Having re-installed Baldur's Gate II yesterday (my Baldur's Gate DVD is unfortunately damaged on one data file and the installer won't run under Windows 8), I just realized how strong this bond between my main in Baldur's Gate and Imoen had felt. My character would have done anything, really anything to protect her and trusted her with truly anything...

Miranda is the character to whom my opoinion changed most throughout the game. While I resented her in the beginning of Mass Effect 2, she kinda earned my trust with the way Mass Effect 2 ended - I had her and Legion with me when I took down the reaper, her personal revelations and the epsiode with her sister added to it. By the end of ME2 I couldn't think of anyone better suited to take command of the Normandy in my place if I wasn't on board and I could very well imagine my Shepard sharing some, though not all, of her more secret thoughts with Miranda. I can't think of any character where my opinion changed so much towards the positive throughout the game. (Anders would be an example for the opposite, though) In the end of Mass Effect 2 I saw Miranda in way comparable to Captain Picard to Commander Riker.

EDIT: Striked Tali and added Miranda to the list
Ah, yes. "Reapers."

Blackholeskipper
03.07.2013 , 05:07 AM | #2
My updated list is (edited cause I included Obsidian characters and companions I romanced):

1) Jolee Bindo (KOTOR I)
2) Wrex (ME 1)
3) HK-47 (KOTOR I)
4) Wild Flower (Jade Empire)
5) Mordin Solus (ME 2)
6) Zaeed Massani (ME 2 DLC)

Wild flower because she's essentially
Spoiler
I'd include Death's Hand (Jade Empire) and Sten (DA:O) if there was more space and Kreia, Garrus, and Atton if they were allowed . Still none from Swtor... Guess I'd pick Mako (with customized appearance), Kaliyo, and maybe Doc Lokin but there are better Bioware characters.

Rabenschwinge
03.07.2013 , 05:09 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackholeskipper View Post
My favorite Bioware companions are:
Kreia (KOTOR II)
Jolee Bindo (KOTOR I)
Garrus (ME 1-3)
Wrex (ME 1)
HK-47 (KOTOR I)
Atton Rand (KOTOR II)

None from Swtor :/
Maybe they'll grow on me with more time.
Kreia is technically not a Bioware character - it's on Obsidian game. However, why she? She is an interesting character, sure, but one that you feel your player character has feels particularly attached to? difficult to imagine. Even if you think of her as a wise teacher it's difficult to like her...
Ah, yes. "Reapers."

AsheraII
03.07.2013 , 06:01 AM | #4
I actually liked Kreia too. She's sort of a Devil's Advocate, always questioning, always asking you to think over your actions before commiting
Also like M1-4X. He's simply FUN.
And Ashley from Mass Effect, not for the romance, though that wasn't done too bad either, but for how her personality seems in constant conflict with herself, and she also feels she is in conflict with herself. A "life is never easy" character done very well in my opinion.
. . . . . . ▀‼▀▀▀▀
__=##(▀▀[Φ]▀▀▀▀‼‼▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀‼▀▀!
|####/ ( /==|####/

Rabenschwinge
03.07.2013 , 07:25 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by AsheraII View Post
I actually liked Kreia too. She's sort of a Devil's Advocate, always questioning, always asking you to think over your actions before commiting
That may be so, but you can't trust her, she would actually call you a fool if you did... The very concept of unconditional trust and friendship would seem foolish to her; to her there is nothing but competition. She stated very clearly what she thinks of surrounding yourselves with companions.

If Obsidian successors of Bioware games are allowed, too, I'd definately would want to put Kaelyn the Dove (Never Winter Nights 2 extension Mask of the Betrayer) on the list. Frustratingly starry eyed sometimes, and void of any realism, but truly good at heart.
Ah, yes. "Reapers."

LadyDrusilla
03.07.2013 , 08:11 AM | #6
1) Liara (Mass Effect 1-3)
2) Leliana (Dragon Age)
3) Alistair (Dragon Age)
4) Viconia (Baldurs Gate 1-2)
5) Vette (SWTOR)
6) Wynne (Dragon Age)
This blonde loves her Hutts, the bigger, the better.

Tommot
03.07.2013 , 09:02 AM | #7
In no particular order:

Mako, Jaessa, and Kira from this game
Garrus, Miranda, and Wrex from Mass Effect
Jolee, HK-47, and Bastilla from KOTOR. Also Kreia, Brianna, and Visas from KOTOR 2 if that counts.
Morrigan from Dragon Age
Roswin - 50 Jedi Sentinel | Vaelin - 50 Sith Juggernaut | Kordis - 50 Sith Marauder | Vaelis - 50 Sith Assassin | Tylus - 50 Sniper
| Vint - 43 Mercenary | Kiden - 35 Vangaurd | Skavic - 22 Jedi Sage |

Blackholeskipper
03.07.2013 , 10:07 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Rabenschwinge View Post
Kreia is technically not a Bioware character - it's on Obsidian game. However, why she? She is an interesting character, sure, but one that you feel your player character has feels particularly attached to? difficult to imagine. Even if you think of her as a wise teacher it's difficult to like her...
You're right, both Kreia and Atton are Obsidian characters, I'll edit my post above (wrote it during a class about gallstones, completely distracted). Also, I romanced both Garrus (as Femshep) and Atton (as the Exile) so they wouldn't count. I'll change that too!

Sure, Kreia's a bit cold but she's also your mentor, trying to teach you how to survive and trying to restore your connection to the force, not to mention the bond you too have. The main thing she has that characters in swtor lack is DEPTH (well in my opinion anyway...).
Quote: Originally Posted by AsheraII View Post
Pretty much this. Much of the story in KOTOR II was incredibly philosophical, mainly because of Kreia. It was interesting discussing the wars (Great Sith War, Mandalorian Wars, Jedi Civil War), Revan's past and why did he what did, as well as the failings of the Jedi. I also liked how she would discuss each of your companions with you and try to manipulate you towards a certain point of view (but encourage you to think for yourself to arrive at that conclusion).
Spoiler
Quote: Originally Posted by Rabenschwinge View Post
That may be so, but you can't trust her, she would actually call you a fool if you did... The very concept of unconditional trust and friendship would seem foolish to her; to her there is nothing but competition. She stated very clearly what she thinks of surrounding yourselves with companions.
This doesn't make her any less interesting. In fact, it adds to how mysterious her character is.
Spoiler

Blackholeskipper
03.07.2013 , 10:19 AM | #9
^Also, a huge part of why I like Kreia is because she addresses things that annoy me about Star Wars. It's the fact that actions have consequences, and these actions are not always predictable. It's not just black and white where jedi=good, sith=evil. I get annoyed sometimes with how most of the portrayals of Jedi in Star Wars so unrealistic, how they can just go around fixing everybody's problems like they're gods (for example in the TV show Clone War). Another example is Episode VI where Luke blows up Jabba's barge that's full of people, very likely including innocent slaves without even a thought or a comment. I thought you could sense other people's suffering through the force? At least there'd be some major darkside if it were KOTOR

Rabenschwinge
03.07.2013 , 10:51 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackholeskipper View Post
This doesn't make her any less interesting. In fact, it adds to how mysterious her character is.
Interesting or not isn't exactly the question I asked - but if you want to insist on Kreia, so be it. You wouldn't have had to edit your post just because it's not a BioWare character, or even because I can't fully comprehend your choice.

Mordin Solus is indeed an interesting and likable character, though. Too bad I missed a lot of it in ME2 and
Spoiler
Ah, yes. "Reapers."