Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Assault Commandos should use Blaster Rifles

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Commando / Mercenary
Assault Commandos should use Blaster Rifles

Lazengan
03.06.2013 , 02:02 PM | #1
Title

It seems more thematic to carry a lighter weapon and be a demolitions expert, than lugging around a heavy minigun and throwing explosives

Just a suggestion, I want to be able to use blaster rifles in 30m range because I have lugging around heavy cannons. Vanguard has to fight at 10m range, but I don't really have any other options

JimmyTheCannon
03.06.2013 , 11:40 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Lazengan View Post
Title

It seems more thematic to carry a lighter weapon and be a demolitions expert, than lugging around a heavy minigun and throwing explosives

Just a suggestion, I want to be able to use blaster rifles in 30m range because I have lugging around heavy cannons. Vanguard has to fight at 10m range, but I don't really have any other options
You can. But you'll lose out on some damage and be unable to cast Charged Bolts or... whatever the Commando spammable AOE is, I forget.

I'd imagine losing Charged Bolts would be a serious hit to Assault.

SwingApproves
03.07.2013 , 11:42 AM | #3
Charged bolts is fecking terrible and I never use it as an assault spec commando.

CB should be replaced.

Godlymuppet
03.07.2013 , 11:53 AM | #4
Title

I came across one doing just that in a warzone. He did half my damage by the end. He helped the team loads.
Kilmer 55 Scoundrel
Kralik 55 Gunslinger
Kallik 55 Powertech
Cram your glow sticks up your wazoo

JimmyTheCannon
03.07.2013 , 06:05 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by SwingApproves View Post
Charged bolts is fecking terrible and I never use it as an assault spec commando.

CB should be replaced.
It still has its uses if HiB/Full Auto are on cooldown and you're not actively being attacked.

Haggardbr
03.07.2013 , 06:15 PM | #6
I'm an assault commando and I can manage to do as much damage as an assalt commando with a cannon.

The thing is... overall, you lose around 10% of your DPS and you CANNOT use charged bolts and hail of bolts, these two are totally dependable of the cannons.
No big deal for me since I almost don't use them even with a cannon.

But, even using a blaster rifle, I managed to be in top 5 in the dps and kills chart at the end of pre-50 warzones.

But you must be aware that using a rifle you have to play more of a support killing class than a "head-on" full assault class, because you don't have almost none defenses against a sentinel/marauder per example.

I guess you got the idea.

This is an example of how you can be in a pre-50 warzone:
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/...3-41-33-59.png

My toon's name is Constantíne, the one marked in bright green.

I haven't tried 50's warzones yet, but I plan to do so soon.
Sarah'kerrígan Jhom Kérrigan Jhota
Suarel

Lazengan
03.07.2013 , 06:43 PM | #7
I am not talking about

"you should use them"

I mean, that Bioware should make the assault commando tree be the burst tree using assault rifles. It's thematic and allows for more gameplay options

JimmyTheCannon
03.07.2013 , 08:23 PM | #8
I am not talking about

"you should use them"

I mean, that Bioware should make the assault commando tree be the burst tree using assault rifles. It's thematic and allows for more gameplay options
Many people go Commando (heh) specifically because of the big cannon.

oaceen
03.08.2013 , 12:42 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Haggardbr View Post
I'm an assault commando and I can manage to do as much damage as an assalt commando with a cannon.
i'm sorry, but i'm calling BS on this.

Delidumrul
03.08.2013 , 07:34 AM | #10
Speak softly and carry a big gun...