Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Display Name Only Log In-Facepalm

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

gamorrean
03.05.2013 , 06:04 PM | #1
How is this helping account security, our login name will then be displayed on all forum posts...unless you have us choose forums names or the forums name displays will be the same as in game names.

However if this is not the case and we having our names share our forums name and login entry.

FACEPALM!

worse security not better.

almost seems like an attempt to force people not to post,
A smart man knows what to say, a truly wise man knows when to say it.

Beaunidle
03.05.2013 , 07:26 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by gamorrean View Post
How is this helping account security, our login name will then be displayed on all forum posts...unless you have us choose forums names or the forums name displays will be the same as in game names.

However if this is not the case and we having our names share our forums name and login entry.

FACEPALM!

I was wondering the same thing, it compromises security it does not enhance it.
My profession involves quite a lot of user and data security work and one of the fundamentals is to keep password and username/login as confidential as possible.

The email address I use as an account logon for SWTOR is used for absolutely nothing else, but the display name is on every forum post.

I'm unable to understand the logic behind this change.

Andryah
03.05.2013 , 07:29 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by gamorrean View Post

FACEPALM!

/Facepalm at your FACEPALM

------------------------> http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...6&postcount=98 right up in the stickied post about this topic at the top of the forum. Read it, embrace it.

No need for a personal thread when there are two others, including an official one that have been active all day long.
"We don't see the world as it is. We see the world as WE are." ~Anais Nin

Swissbob
03.05.2013 , 07:31 PM | #4
Most people think it's an April Fools joke.

Bioware does one every year. The date that this is going live is April 2nd. And, of course, on April 1st they will say April Fools, and boom, it never happens.
My Solution to the "Game is Too Easy Crisis"

My Guides to Combat in SWTOR: Part 1 | Part 2

Andryah
03.05.2013 , 07:32 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Beaunidle View Post
I'm unable to understand the logic behind this change.
They are removing email addresses from the login because it is more properly used for account anthentication NOT for login authentication. There is a difference and it is relevant.

More details to come from the security manager whose thread I linked right above this one.

Andryah
03.05.2013 , 07:34 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Swissbob View Post

Bioware does one every year. The date that this is going live is April 2nd. And, of course, on April 1st they will say April Fools, and boom, it never happens.
you do understand that you can currently log in using either your forum (ie: account) handle or email address attached to the account, right? Don't believe me, go try it. So no, it's not an April fools joke. Read the dev post I linked.

Swissbob
03.05.2013 , 07:44 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
you do understand that you can currently log in using either your forum (ie: account) handle or email address attached to the account, right? Don't believe me, go try it. So no, it's not an April fools joke. Read the dev post I linked.
I know you can

But that doesn't mean it's not an April Fools joke.... Just because you can log in using either your Email or your Account Name doesn't mean they can't joke about switching it to just your account name.

And yes, I saw the dev posts. He said it wasn't an April Fools joke... but he could be joking.... I mean if it was an April Fools joke, why would he say: "Yeah, you caught us, it is!" Doesn't make sense.

But I'm not the one you should be convincing, I personally don't think it's an April Fools joke, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate.

JSitruc
03.05.2013 , 07:46 PM | #8

BW has an april fools joke almost every month -.-

Swissbob
03.05.2013 , 07:47 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by JSitruc View Post
BW has an april fools joke almost every month -.-
Made me chuckle!

Andryah
03.05.2013 , 07:51 PM | #10
I know you can

But that doesn't mean it's not an April Fools joke.... Just because you can log in using either your Email or your Account Name doesn't mean they can't joke about switching it to just your account name.

And yes, I saw the dev posts. He said it wasn't an April Fools joke... but he could be joking.... I mean if it was an April Fools joke, why would he say: "Yeah, you caught us, it is!" Doesn't make sense.

But I'm not the one you should be convincing, I personally don't think it's an April Fools joke, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate.
LOL... fair enough then.