Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Frontline Medic 2.0

dmanlong
03.05.2013 , 02:26 PM | #1
Is this actually useful on the ptr?

The entire idea that I have to fire hammer shot at an enemy to heal myself feels wrong. I hate the fact that probe medic is tied to frontline medic. Is this ability designed so that instead of fleeing under duress, I stand there and shoot my attacker to heal myself? They should just let us hammer shot ourselves.

SkinzOCAU
03.09.2013 , 10:04 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by dmanlong View Post
Is this actually useful on the ptr?

The entire idea that I have to fire hammer shot at an enemy to heal myself feels wrong. I hate the fact that probe medic is tied to frontline medic. Is this ability designed so that instead of fleeing under duress, I stand there and shoot my attacker to heal myself? They should just let us hammer shot ourselves.
No, it is useless. This talent just proves that BW do not understand this class AT ALL.

Bleeters
03.09.2013 , 11:42 PM | #3
It's incredibly useful in pvp, actually. Otherwise, yes.

Of course, I'm not a huge fan of it being a prerequesite for the much more useful-for-everything Probe Medic either, given that the number of times I've put trauma probe on myself in group pve is somewhere around never.

RichardNoggin
03.10.2013 , 10:45 AM | #4
I have also been wondering if Frontline Medic is useful at all in 2.0. You never have Trauma Probe on yourself in flashpoints or Ops and it costs too much to use alot in PvP for way too little gain. Having to use Hammer shot on a enemy to trigger Frontline Medic is really lame. What if I have them CC'd and truthfully as a medic your Hammer Shot on enemies does pathetic damage and is a waste of time.

Hopefully Probe Medic makes Trauma Probe more useful and worth the ammo spent. The bad thing is you have to take Frontline Medic to get to Probe Medic. I still dont want Frontline Medic because it is so situational to have Trauma Probe on myself and then Hammer Shotting an enemy with pathetic damage and chance of breaking CC. I dont understand why they would put something this useless so high up in our tree and then force us to waste 2 points on it to get Probe Medic

If you could put Trauma Probe on someone else and then able to Hammer Shot friendlies, Frontline Medic could be useful but then you have the problem with the green beam of death that eveyone follows and you end up dieing because it screams out "here I am".

SpaniardInfinity
03.10.2013 , 08:10 PM | #5
It's realistically a PvP only talent. In a flashpoint or an operation Trauma Probe will almost never be on yourself, so you cannot even benefit from healing with Hammershot. In PvP it is a good idea in concept, especially in combination with Hold the Line, but it is a liability if you are breaking CC as a method of healing yourself and thus is poor design in practice. Compounding this is the fact that it is required in order to get Probe Medic, which is really frustrating because of how valuable Probe Medic is.
Aux "Spaniard" Wargarde (Rank 2400+ Combat Medic) | Reighner the Relentless (Conqueror Bodyguard)
The Generalissimo Legacy
<Uncensored>

JimmyTheCannon
03.10.2013 , 08:51 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by SpaniardInfinity View Post
It's realistically a PvP only talent. In a flashpoint or an operation Trauma Probe will almost never be on yourself, so you cannot even benefit from healing with Hammershot. In PvP it is a good idea in concept, especially in combination with Hold the Line, but it is a liability if you are breaking CC as a method of healing yourself and thus is poor design in practice. Compounding this is the fact that it is required in order to get Probe Medic, which is really frustrating because of how valuable Probe Medic is.
Here's my issues with it even in PVP:

If you're being attacked it's not going to heal enough to be worth doing instead of casting an actual heal on yourself.

If you're not being attacked and there's an enemy to use it on he's probably attacking one of your allies and you should be healing him instead.

Where is this useful?

Keypek
03.11.2013 , 09:13 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by JimmyTheCannon View Post

If you're being attacked it's not going to heal enough to be worth doing instead of casting an actual heal on yourself.

If you're not being attacked and there's an enemy to use it on he's probably attacking one of your allies and you should be healing him instead.

Where is this useful?
Yep, basically this. I guess it has some basic uses if you get stuck solo guarding a node as a medic (which is just stupid of your team overall if that happens) cause it'd let you kite and heal some what while trying to LOS enemies. But the heal is so minor it's not going to do a whole lot in the large scheme of things. Just a poor concept of an ability.

A nice change I thought would be to completely scrap the self healing part of it and have part you spec into cause smart healing to up to 8 allies within 15 meters of the ally with an active trauma probe every time the trauma probe loses a charge for x healing. Don't make it very much... maybe 0.5% of targets health gets healed. Basically a little splash healing. Would be 5% of someone's health over the course of a trauma probe for mostly the melee.

I don't know, anything would be more useful really.
K'mpek/Keypek or some variation
ICE Breaker>Corellian Run>The Shadowlands
FREE play time and loot by clicking>>

SpaniardInfinity
03.11.2013 , 02:54 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by JimmyTheCannon View Post

Where is this useful?
In exactly one situation: a 1v1. Which is idiosyncratic, because healers should always be near teammates. Yeah you might get caught alone at fringes of objectives, like if you are transitioning between two objectives (ie. Alderaan or Voidstar) or if you are running along the "sidelines" of Huttball and a DPS jumps to you (it is only ever a melee), but if you are doing your job correctly and are moving with your team Frontline Medic is marginally useful for the reasons you outlined. It is nice if you are alone, but outside of that situation, it's worthless.
Aux "Spaniard" Wargarde (Rank 2400+ Combat Medic) | Reighner the Relentless (Conqueror Bodyguard)
The Generalissimo Legacy
<Uncensored>

JimmyTheCannon
03.12.2013 , 12:13 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by SpaniardInfinity View Post
In exactly one situation: a 1v1. Which is idiosyncratic, because healers should always be near teammates. Yeah you might get caught alone at fringes of objectives, like if you are transitioning between two objectives (ie. Alderaan or Voidstar) or if you are running along the "sidelines" of Huttball and a DPS jumps to you (it is only ever a melee), but if you are doing your job correctly and are moving with your team Frontline Medic is marginally useful for the reasons you outlined. It is nice if you are alone, but outside of that situation, it's worthless.
Even in a 1v1 I don't see how it's useful. If you have a DPS focusing on you, you're going to need more healing than this will provide.

dmanlong
03.12.2013 , 06:57 AM | #10
I imagine it is a animation issue.

They designed hammer shot to be a Commando's free no cost heal, but it comes with a unique problem - They never designed an animation for using on yourself. They realized that a commando lacked self healing and added this in as a "ad hoc" self healing ability.

The problem is that there is almost never an opportunity to use front line medic and when there is time, another ability would be a better choice. It is obvious that people are not using this talent which is why they tied probe medic to frontline medic. 6 talent points for a terrible self healing ability - unbelievable.