Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Great dps rotation for Mercs?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Great dps rotation for Mercs?

Koyaanisqat
03.06.2013 , 08:08 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by JimmyTheCannon View Post
Why are you using PS when you have TM?
Power Shot does more damage and can proc barrage as well. It's perfectly fine as a filler in PvE, but you need to be discretionary for PvP situations. For heat conservation, follow power-shot with rapidshots. You'll vent 6-8 from the process, halving powershot's cost.
Elgyn Vriess, Space Pirate of the KDY-MANTIS Amelia, HYPERSPACE LEGEND.
Courier at large; Mercenary at small.
Elgyn Vriess Courier Company: When you need tab A inserted into slot B without C getting in the way. No questions asked (besides, "What'll it pay?").

JimmyTheCannon
03.06.2013 , 11:46 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Koyaanisqat View Post
Power Shot does more damage and can proc barrage as well. It's perfectly fine as a filler in PvE, but you need to be discretionary for PvP situations. For heat conservation, follow power-shot with rapidshots. You'll vent 6-8 from the process, halving powershot's cost.
You're gimping your rail shots by not getting your Tracer Lock stacks up via casting Tracer Missile.

Back when it took 5 TMs to get a full set of Tracer Lock stacks I did what you're doing, but now that it only takes 3 it's really not worth it. You'll get a little bit more damage, sure, but if you get lucky with Barrage procs you won't have enough time to get those 5 Tracer Lock stacks up before your next Rail Shot.

For that matter, in PVP you'll probably want those Tracer Lock stacks for quick healing on yourself via Healing Scan.

Stressfire
03.07.2013 , 09:27 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by JimmyTheCannon View Post
Why are you using PS when you have TM?
Other than "because it's there," like Koyaanisqat said, it's an additional chance to proc Barrage. As an aside, with absolutely no hard data to back it up other than observational - PS actually seems to proc Barrage more often than Tracer. But also, if I already have a full stack of tracer locks, never hurts to mix in a little white damage (which for me is an all but guaranteed crit) if the target's armor is especially well debuffed.

Seems to work for me - and didn't need to completely rewrite my playstyle. But like I said, with the full 3 points put into Barrage, it procs often enough that I'm essentially running with Unload being my main attack with Tracer, PS, and RS sewn in when available or as needed to proc barrage

lordnortamos
03.07.2013 , 01:12 PM | #14
The highest DPS on a Boss or an Elite is 3 tracers, unload, Rail, HSM. If unload procs during the intial 3 tracers USE IT. Do not pass go do not collect 200 dollars, that is free damage and heat. Now on regular mobs use a fusion missile then go ahead and use thermal overrides on sweeping blasters (or death from above if it's up). Strong targets just use the above rotation, they should go down after HSM and Rail
Favorite Star Wars quotes:
1. Darth Baras: A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger right now!!!
2. HK-47: Dammit master I am an assassination droid not a dictionary!

scarlet_magpie
03.07.2013 , 02:52 PM | #15
Many thanks for all the above replies. I don't yet have many of the abilities mentioned, but I will play around and find what works. Cheers guys

JimmyTheCannon
03.07.2013 , 06:11 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Stressfire View Post
Other than "because it's there," like Koyaanisqat said, it's an additional chance to proc Barrage. As an aside, with absolutely no hard data to back it up other than observational - PS actually seems to proc Barrage more often than Tracer. But also, if I already have a full stack of tracer locks, never hurts to mix in a little white damage (which for me is an all but guaranteed crit) if the target's armor is especially well debuffed.

Seems to work for me - and didn't need to completely rewrite my playstyle. But like I said, with the full 3 points put into Barrage, it procs often enough that I'm essentially running with Unload being my main attack with Tracer, PS, and RS sewn in when available or as needed to proc barrage
I still don't understand it. In your 2-piece set bonus you've got a higher crit chance on TM than on PS; they'll both go through armor the same amount. Power Shot has a higher top end, but a lower bottom end; the only way it'll do more damage for you than TM over time is with lucky RNG on crits and damage rolls. Plus, Power Shot includes your offhand, so you'll get miss chances on some of that additional top-end damage.

JimmyTheCannon
03.07.2013 , 09:10 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Stressfire View Post
Only quoted this part - but you do make a good point.

Was at lvl 43 when posted yesterday with only 1 point in barrage - so Unload really didn't proc that often. Hit 45 last night and put the 2 skill points into Barrage - your recommendation worked pretty darn well. Between Tracers and PS, Unload was procing all the time.

Also, never even came close to 50% heat while running Collicoid & Reaper - so, nice!

Still no heatseekers yet though - but with the vast reduction in heat generation, I may sacrifice improved vents for the time being
Because a guildie had to point this out - I completely missed it...

Why do you not have HSM yet at level 45? You should have all 31 points that you need in Arsenal by level 41. Generally you should go whatever your intended tree is *first* and fill out the side trees only when you're done there - the strongest talents are usually at the top.

xmssx
03.08.2013 , 07:04 PM | #18
If fighting a single target I always start with Unload, then TM and then you have 45% chance for another Unload. If the target is still alive, fire RS/Heatseekers/another TM

JimmyTheCannon
03.08.2013 , 09:55 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by xmssx View Post
If fighting a single target I always start with Unload, then TM and then you have 45% chance for another Unload. If the target is still alive, fire RS/Heatseekers/another TM
If you're going on a lone mob somewhere (playing solo instead of in a group), you're better off opening with TM than with Unload because by the time the mob reacts to you you've already gotten a full cast off.

Try at least one TM first, then Unload. You'll most likely kill him quicker.

Paokzu
03.16.2013 , 03:08 PM | #20
(use the abilities that eliminate your cast time and heat generation, I can't remember their names)
Then use Fusion missile, Tracer missile x3, Heatseeker missiles, Rail shot, Unload, Rapid shots.
Reapeat this rotation using Unload every time barrage activates until Heatseekers and Rail shot refresh. This will maintain your heat sig and tracer lock.

Note: You may need to use your Chaff flares in order to reduce threat after your 1st heatseeker especially if you clicked a power relic on the opener as you will probably take agro.
"You should never be in the company of anyone with whom you would not want to die."
http://www.cracked.com/blog/understa...ario-brothers/