Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Great dps rotation for Mercs?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Great dps rotation for Mercs?

scarlet_magpie
03.05.2013 , 10:33 AM | #1
Hi all, can someone give me an idea of your rotations (I realise it depends on what you're doing/fighting etc!) but I am feeling a bit limited and was wondering what other people are using.

Many thanks

Stressfire
03.05.2013 , 12:56 PM | #2
Mine varies, but at lvl 44 Arsenal spec mine generally follows this:

Solo v Reg Mob
MB - Railshot - Unload. If not dead a Rapid Shot or 2 will finish it off

Solo v Silver and Up
MB or Fusion - Tracer x3 - RS - Unload - PS - Alternate tracer & Powershot 'til Unload comes back or CD chance procs

Group (heat generation is more of a concern for long fights)
Same as above minus Missile Blast opener - too much heat and not at all CC friendly

No clue if I'm maxing DPS with this, but it keeps my heat levels at or below 60%ish - every once in a while if my timing is too fast I have a tendency to pull aggro.\

Just to keep my animations interesting I'll toss in a Rocket Punch or some other filler every now and again. I dunno, just something satisfying about making RP my "killshot" attack

Koyaanisqat
03.05.2013 , 01:39 PM | #3
Runnin' a 5/31/5 here.

Opening up with Fusion Missile on a single target is awesome (use thermal over-rides). Using Tracers more than once is silly. Spread out the damage a bit. Use Unloads whenever they proc with barrage. HSM with 4 stack is just fine. Don't need to wait for 5.

Trigger burst by timing the 2-second primer on Explosive Dart to coincide with HSM/RailShot (or all three simultaneously!). What I mean is: Explosive Dart --> Tracer Round --> HSM --> Railshot. Use this as a finisher.

Save missile blasts for either kiting or possibly a long-distance killshot on someone with around 1k health. It's not worth the heat in any other situation.

If you need to take someone down fast, use your instant cooldown after firing one tracer to instant a second.
Elgyn Vriess, Space Pirate of the KDY-MANTIS Amelia, HYPERSPACE LEGEND.
Courier at large; Mercenary at small.
Elgyn Vriess Courier Company: When you need tab A inserted into slot B without C getting in the way. No questions asked (besides, "What'll it pay?").

Stressfire
03.05.2013 , 02:23 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Koyaanisqat View Post
Using Tracers more than once is silly.
Why is that silly? On a single, weaker target - maybe. But for a gold or Boss, is a 5 stack of armor reduction not more effective than just 2?

Koyaanisqat
03.05.2013 , 02:39 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Stressfire View Post
Why is that silly? On a single, weaker target - maybe. But for a gold or Boss, is a 5 stack of armor reduction not more effective than just 2?
Tracer --> Tracer is silly.

Use something as a filler. If your first tracer proc's barrage, don't fire another tracer. Use Unload.
Elgyn Vriess Courier Company: When you need tab A inserted into slot B without C getting in the way. No questions asked (besides, "What'll it pay?").

JimmyTheCannon
03.05.2013 , 03:13 PM | #6

Use something as a filler. If your first tracer proc's barrage, don't fire another tracer. Use Unload.
Always prioritize an Unload proc, but when that, Rail Shot, and HSM are on cooldown, you should generally be spamming Tracer. If one doesn't proc Unload, cast the next one and hope that one does. Don't forget what, when geared right you should approximately a 50% crit chance on Tracer Missile. Over a sustained fight it should be almost as much of your DPS as Unload is.

EDIT: Also, using Thermal Sensor Override when you're at 0 heat is silly. Don't use that on an opener.

Koyaanisqat
03.05.2013 , 03:33 PM | #7
It's important to note that if properly spec'd, Unload has negative heat. It just requires a 16H investment.

ekwalizer
03.06.2013 , 09:55 AM | #8
From a Pyrotech perspective:

Railshot every time it procs.

So something like an elite or champion:
Incendiary Missile, Railshot, Unload, Explosive Dart, Thermal Detonator, Powershot. Mix in Rapid shots to manage heat if the fight is going to be long. Open with and work in Death from Above as appropriate.

I tend not to use Thermal Sensor Override until/unless I need to pop a Rapid Scan.

For trash mobs:
Open with Death from Above, then basically the same as above but you don't have to channel Unload because the fights won't generally be that long. Keep in mind flamethrower is a decent frontal cone AoE for multiple opponents.
Let this sink in, this game is Free to Play, boasts one of the most popular IPs on the planet and yet 76.47% of the servers are empty.

Stressfire
03.06.2013 , 01:16 PM | #9

Only quoted this part - but you do make a good point.

Was at lvl 43 when posted yesterday with only 1 point in barrage - so Unload really didn't proc that often. Hit 45 last night and put the 2 skill points into Barrage - your recommendation worked pretty darn well. Between Tracers and PS, Unload was procing all the time.

Also, never even came close to 50% heat while running Collicoid & Reaper - so, nice!

Still no heatseekers yet though - but with the vast reduction in heat generation, I may sacrifice improved vents for the time being

JimmyTheCannon
03.06.2013 , 05:32 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Stressfire View Post
Only quoted this part - but you do make a good point.

Was at lvl 43 when posted yesterday with only 1 point in barrage - so Unload really didn't proc that often. Hit 45 last night and put the 2 skill points into Barrage - your recommendation worked pretty darn well. Between Tracers and PS, Unload was procing all the time.

Also, never even came close to 50% heat while running Collicoid & Reaper - so, nice!

Still no heatseekers yet though - but with the vast reduction in heat generation, I may sacrifice improved vents for the time being
Why are you using PS when you have TM?