Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Question about Force Breach

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Jedi Consular
Question about Force Breach

Damatese
03.01.2013 , 08:03 PM | #1
I noticed as Shadow Force Technique user it say I do a dot damage over 8 seconds or so...Yet...the timer refresh on that is a lot faster then 8 seconds. Should I keep on applying it or should I just focus more on Double Strike, Force Lighitng Proc and Project?

Rabenschwinge
03.02.2013 , 03:09 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Damatese View Post
I noticed as Shadow Force Technique user it say I do a dot damage over 8 seconds or so...Yet...the timer refresh on that is a lot faster then 8 seconds. Should I keep on applying it or should I just focus more on Double Strike, Force Lighitng Proc and Project?
I am an Infiltration Shadow, thus I can't say for sure - I am always using Shadow Technique. But if it doesn't say it stacks it usually doesn't. If it would you'd be seeing a stack counter on the effect icon... No point in applying it more often than once every eight seconds.
Ah, yes. "Reapers."

Kitru
03.02.2013 , 03:41 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Damatese View Post
Should I keep on applying it or should I just focus more on Double Strike, Force Lighitng Proc and Project?
If you're using Force Technique, that means you're running as a Balance Shadow. As such, you shouldn't be using Telekinetic Throw or Project *at all* (TkT does too little damage and isn't actually a DoT so it doesn't benefit from *any* of your DoT talents and Project is just too expensive for the pittance of damage it deals). Force Technique's Force Breach does no damage up front but a buttload of damage over time and, no, it doesn't stack with itself so you should only ever be using Force Breach on a target that is currently unaffected by it (re: cast it once on a target early on and then let the DoT run out before reapplying it). Force Technique has no CD not because you're supposed to spam the living hell out of it but because you're allowed to use it to DoT up multiple opponents (which you should do; it's cheap *and* effective).

While leveling, an optimally played Shadow is *incredibly* boring until you get into your late-20s-to-early-30s: most of the attacks we get are utterly worthless unless there is a talent specifically augmenting it or outright providing it. The only abilities that are exempt from this "do not use because it's terrible in its baseline form" are Double Strike, Saber Strike, Spinning Strike, and Force Breach. Pretty much all of your other attacks should never be used until you actually get a talent that says "use me!" (Upheaval doesn't count for Balance; Balance should *never* use Project even though it gets Upheaval). For Balance, this means you'll use just DS, SS, and FB until you hit 20 and get Force in Balance. At 26, you'll start using Mind Crush (keep in mind, you *only* use it when you have the Presence of Mind buff active so that it is instant cast and free), at 32, you'll start using Spinning Strike (that's when you can first train it), at 40, you'll start using Sever Force (it follows much the same use case as Force Breach: you reapply it only when the DoT falls off; using it on CD on the same target is bad), and, sometime in your 40s, when you take Infiltration Tactics, you'll start using Shadow Strike.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.