Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Character Slot Limit

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Brewski
02.27.2013 , 12:51 PM | #1
I have successfully purchased 10 extra character slots, bringing my total to 22 possible characters on the server. I purchased two additional unlocks from the GTN the other day, but was unable to use them. ("You have already unlocked this." error) A bit of research here turned up the following thread.

www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=601006

This would seem to answer my first question, which is why I am unable to use the unlock. It says that 22 characters per server is the limit for a subscriber. (I had thought it was higher for some reason.) So if this is still the case, then it explains my first issue.

However, it also states here that an account that revert to FTP in my situation drops to 12 available characters. This sees wrong to me, as a Preferred player is supposed to have 6, and I have bought 10 unlocks, bringing my total to 16 if I revert to FTP.

Can someone please confirm that when my subscription ends in a couple weeks I will still have access to all 16 slots, and not just 12?

Faeryl
02.27.2013 , 01:11 PM | #2
From my experience, they do not delete character slots that you have purchased. You should still have all of them. However, you will most likely only be able to activate 12 of them.

Example: I was a subscriber way back during launch. I had 8 characters on my main server. When I returned with f2p as a preferred status player, it said "8/2 character slots used/available" at the bottom. All of my characters were still there, I merely had to select which two to activate (this was prior to the increase to 6 slots for preferred). Just to be safe, I cycled through all of my characters. All were accessible once "activated", but I could only have a maximum of 2 active at one time until I purchased more slots.

Hope this helps!

Brewski
02.27.2013 , 03:25 PM | #3
Thank you for the reply, but that is not exactly the issue.

I realize if/when I revert to FTP any characters beyond the lower limit will become "locked". What I'm interested in knowing is how many will be active.

If I had a completely free account, I would have two character slots. If I then bought 10 extra slots, I would have 12 available.

If I started as Preferred, with 6 character slots, and bought 10 extra, I would expect to have 16.

So starting as a subscriber, and adding 10 gives me 22. I would expect that when I get down-graded to preferred I would still have access to 16 slots.

These are the numbers that seem logical to me. However, in the post I linked to the CS representative says I would only have 12. If that is true, then I have to ask why I bothered purchasing and unlocking the last four character slots, which do me no good.

Hoping I can get a definitive answer from a CS rep or someone who has done the same as me, and prepurchased every character slot unlock possible prior to the downgrade.

Faeryl
02.27.2013 , 05:58 PM | #4
Ah, well, I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful. I hope that you get the answers you seek from CS, but it looks as though they are quite busy with the patch issues.

Brewski
02.28.2013 , 07:23 AM | #5
bump bump

Still hoping for an official response, or at least once from someone who's gone Preferred and know the upper character slot limit.

OwenBrooks
02.28.2013 , 07:31 AM | #6
Star Wars: The Old Republic’s 1.6.2 patch notes

•Character slot restrictions are now being enforced:
•By default, Free-to-Play players are restricted to 2 characters per server.
•By default, Preferred Status players are restricted to 6 characters per server.
•By default, Subscribers are limited to 12 Characters per servers.
•All players have a Global Active Character Limit of 350 Characters.
•Additional Character Slots may now be purchased from the Cartel Market. Each Character Slot will increase the number of Characters a player may have across all servers by 1 (players can go beyond their default character slot restrictions). Each purchase will increase the number characters that a player may mark as Active across all servers.
•Subscribers who have more than the current character limits will be allowed to keep and play all characters.
•Preferred Status players who have more than the current character limits will be allowed to keep all characters, but will only be able to activate 6 characters per server unless additional character slots are purchased.
•No new characters may be created on a server if the account exceeds the server character limit until the number of characters on the server falls below the default limit plus any additionally purchased slots.

Brewski
02.28.2013 , 07:36 AM | #7
Thanks for the reply, but I am aware of this as outlined in the OP.

My question is not how to purchase additional slots, or even what the cap is on new slots. My question is:

I am currently a subscriber who has purchased 10 extra character slots for a total of 22 per server. When I revert to Preferred status, how many characters will I have access to?

I would normally assume 16, since 6 is the "base" for preferred players, and I have added 10. However, in the post linked in the OP the CS rep says it would revert to 12, which is the "max allowed for a preferred account". The math seems wrong to me, so I am seeking clarification.

OwenBrooks
02.28.2013 , 07:41 AM | #8
You are correct sir, that is very conflicting, good question and i do not have the answer.

patch notes do imply 16, but your are right is odd,

Patch notes make sense though if you normally have 12 slots and purchase 10 they can't take these off you as you purchased them. so where preferred get 6 as default and you add the 10 you purchased it is 16 slots.

I think the statement in that thread is incorrect to be honest and he got confused.

Brewski
02.28.2013 , 12:08 PM | #9
Yes, I suspect you are right, and that 16 would be correct. Still hoping for an official confirmation eventually though.

nimmir
02.28.2013 , 12:17 PM | #10
There is already an official answer (and yes the limit is 22 chars): http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=583220
Térria
The Maiar Legacy, Tomb Of Freedon Nadd
My referral link