Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Quitting in middle of WZ and consequences

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Quitting in middle of WZ and consequences

Jabrunn
02.27.2013 , 12:31 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Toxxo View Post
And what about people who quit WZ's because of things happening in real-life i.e. children, people knocking at the door, phone ringing etc etc. Punish those people for that? Wow...just....wow......
That's another great reason why there should not be a penalty. Should a player have to answer questions as to why they left a wz after they quit in order to avoid the penalty? Should the mother or father be penalized for leaving to attend to a sick child or to take an emergency phone call? There is no one-size-fits-all solution to this.

Penalizing people for leaving a wz early for attending to real-life issues may only stop people from pvp'ing and possibly cause some to stop playing the game completely. I don't think, at this point, Bioware can afford that.

Jabrunn
02.27.2013 , 12:39 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Vladnar View Post
YES there must be stiffer penalties though i have seen incoming players turn the whole thing around and into a win. I will personally not leave no matter what, fight on till the bitter end and its not like you aren't going to get anything as the rewards, however small, can still be used to get better gear until youre full elite and full holding entitlement.

Its bad form indeed............people should be more about enjoying the pvp environment, its not only about winning and i for one enjoy it and have a good laff doing so too
I see your point and you are free to stick around in any warzone, no matter what the outcome. However, where is the fun in being smashed to oblivion within seconds each and every time you and/or teammates attempt to capture an objective? That may be fun for you and that's fine, but it's not fun to me nor is it fun to some others. Everyone is different.

What if the other team is using hacks/cheats to dominate the play? Should I still be penalized for quitting a match I have no chance of competing in (unless I cheat myself)?

I see your point and definitely understand your frustration as I have been on the losing end of people leaving a wz too early. I simply think there are too many variables that need to be addressed before Bioware attempts to penalize players for leaving early. Besides, the punishment is built in. You're missing out on comms and valor when you quit early.

mrekxxx
02.27.2013 , 01:01 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Jabrunn View Post
That's another great reason why there should not be a penalty. Should a player have to answer questions as to why they left a wz after they quit in order to avoid the penalty? Should the mother or father be penalized for leaving to attend to a sick child or to take an emergency phone call? There is no one-size-fits-all solution to this.

Penalizing people for leaving a wz early for attending to real-life issues may only stop people from pvp'ing and possibly cause some to stop playing the game completely. I don't think, at this point, Bioware can afford that.
like ...

Virilot
02.27.2013 , 01:06 PM | #34
I would opt for some posite incentives (rewards) instead of negative ones (punishment), so my suggestion would be to reward the team that suffers from quitters with one medal per quitter and give the replacing players one medal for free (doing those 1-2minutes wz isnt rewarding as it is). My reasons for this are:

1. Not all quitters quit on purpose, e.g. yesterday from the 8 wzs i played, two times i crashed to desktop and one i was send back to the fleet after one minute (the match was not finished). My Net is fine (swtor only uses up to 15% of my bandwith and its pretty stable) so i blame biowares programing/servers. For me it was frustrating enough to requeue and wait again to play. If i would be punished for someone elses fault on top of that would not add any good imho.

2. The people suffering from this would get a little bonus makeing up for the lower chances winning the map/getting comms/wins. Maybe it could build a more "we fight against the odds" mentality (something a lot of players in this game are lacking imo).

3. I really prefeer someone whos not satisified with the matchup/team to leave the team instead of being flamed/qqed the whole match, makeing opschat something i ignore.

4. For us humans positve incentives are more persistent and have a stronger impact on changeing behaviour than negative ones and games are for fun after all.

Jabrunn
02.27.2013 , 01:16 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Virilot View Post
I would opt for some posite incentives (rewards) instead of negative ones (punishment), so my suggestion would be to reward the team that suffers from quitters with one medal per quitter and give the replacing players one medal for free (doing those 1-2minutes wz isnt rewarding as it is). My reasons for this are:

1. Not all quitters quit on purpose, e.g. yesterday from the 8 wzs i played, two times i crashed to desktop and one i was send back to the fleet after one minute (the match was not finished). My Net is fine (swtor only uses up to 15% of my bandwith and its pretty stable) so i blame biowares programing/servers. For me it was frustrating enough to requeue and wait again to play. If i would be punished for someone elses fault on top of that would not add any good imho.

2. The people suffering from this would get a little bonus makeing up for the lower chances winning the map/getting comms/wins. Maybe it could build a more "we fight against the odds" mentality (something a lot of players in this game are lacking imo).

3. I really prefeer someone whos not satisified with the matchup/team to leave the team instead of being flamed/qqed the whole match, makeing opschat something i ignore.

4. For us humans positve incentives are more persistent and have a stronger impact on changeing behaviour than negative ones and games are for fun after all.

I forgot about disconnects and crashing to desktop. I agree. Excellent points. There are just too many variables involved for Bioware to punish people who leave warzones early. Besides, there's no way for Bioware to know exactly why a person left the wz early.

sumuji
02.27.2013 , 09:29 PM | #36
People leave when the first encounter works against them as anyone that plays WZ can attest so I doubt it's people giving the team a chance and deciding it's hopeless. There prob are exceptions but I feel most are just simple sore losers or people worried about their win/loss numbers. Exactly the reason you're penalized in other games for leaving and why this game needs that feature as well.

When they first added the group finder you could que for both WZ and PvE and if PvE popped while in a WZ you were whisked out of there. Bioware obviously realized this was not a good thing and now a WZ takes you out of the finder so that should tell you they are aware of players leaving a WZ is a bad thing. They even penalize people who drop out of groups after using the finder with a cooldown timer before requeing so why something has never made it to WZ I haven't a clue.

yauhen_pt
02.27.2013 , 09:52 PM | #37
Quote:
They even penalize people who drop out of groups after using the finder with a cooldown timer before requeing so why something has never made it to WZ I haven't a clue.
May b u have to hear other ppl.. It cam give u the clue.
The Red Eclipse Zenaar assassin | Zenaor juggernaut | Zenair sage | Argh operative

Blockk
02.27.2013 , 10:23 PM | #38
I undestand some thought is being put into punishment for quitters

60 Min standown and Negative Comms sounds fair

if your teams weak or your getting smashed by smashers, harden up, take up the challenge, even though you know its a loss
The enemy outnumber us a paltry three to one, good odds for any Jedi

Jabrunn
02.27.2013 , 10:36 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by sumuji View Post
People leave when the first encounter works against them as anyone that plays WZ can attest so I doubt it's people giving the team a chance and deciding it's hopeless. There prob are exceptions but I feel most are just simple sore losers or people worried about their win/loss numbers. Exactly the reason you're penalized in other games for leaving and why this game needs that feature as well.

When they first added the group finder you could que for both WZ and PvE and if PvE popped while in a WZ you were whisked out of there. Bioware obviously realized this was not a good thing and now a WZ takes you out of the finder so that should tell you they are aware of players leaving a WZ is a bad thing. They even penalize people who drop out of groups after using the finder with a cooldown timer before requeing so why something has never made it to WZ I haven't a clue.
You can't lump everyone into the same category. I don't leave if the first encounter works against me. If after a while it becomes apparent that I will not even be able to compete, I may leave. This isn't life and death here. It is a game. If you choose to stay in warzones where you have no chance of competing then that's fine, it's your choice. If it's one of those warzones where the entire imp team may have 1 or 2 deaths total, then I don't think my leaving is going to make much of a difference anyway. I think it should remain my choice, penalty free. Besides, I wonder how many people who support punishment would be the first to complain about the punishment if you got disconnected (through no fault of your own) in the middle of a warzone? Just curious.

Jabrunn
02.27.2013 , 10:44 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by Blockk View Post
I undestand some thought is being put into punishment for quitters

60 Min standown and Negative Comms sounds fair

if your teams weak or your getting smashed by smashers, harden up, take up the challenge, even though you know its a loss
Again, it's a game. A game is meant to be fun. Where is the fun in being smashed repeatedly? This isn't about me being soft, cowardly, stupid, ignorant, incompetent, undergeared, etc... You just said you may know it's a loss. So, if you know it's a loss and there's no chance of winning, why should I be punished for leaving early? If there's no chance to win, then my leaving doesn't hurt you anyway. I'm already missing out on the valor and wz comms just for leaving, isn't that enough?