Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Quitting in middle of WZ and consequences

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Quitting in middle of WZ and consequences

islander
02.27.2013 , 09:37 AM | #21
The only thing that irks me is when people quit and the result is still reasonably in doubt.
I mean, I quit the occasional warzone after it starts, but typically not because we started losing initially.

I'll stick around until I am annoyed by my teammates stupidity, or I just get zerged so hard and often (maybe because I'm of only two people on the team doing DPS worth a crap) that I just have enough of it.
I don't mind hard fought defeats. You can learn from those on a personal level.
There's nothing to be learned from getting zerged/stunned/smashed over and over though.
Gìllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five

Butwaldgrim
02.27.2013 , 10:51 AM | #22
I'm to the point where I no longer complain in chat (because I live in a glass house).

And I no longer quit WZ's even when we are getting bowled over by a group of Superhero's. You just take your beating. I learned from experience, the chat and these forums that quitting is hugely frowned upon by your teammates, and I agree with them. Besides, it's just silly sometimes, like the guy who quits with 30 seconds to go. He just lost some valor and some comms.

But here's my QQ on the topic. I do get frustrated when most of your team retreats, often way to early, to the one node you hold and then they just give up. Then they chat about smoking a fatty, and how they knew in the first minute that the team was going to lose. They rail on and on about Bioware, and how this is BW's fault. Frankly, I'd rather they leave the WZ. Because these fools lost the WZ before the ever queued.

We all know this is true. Because in the very next WZ, you get grouped with teammates who are giving their best effort, and actually trying to achieve the objective. You might barely lose, you might barely win, but the WZ ends up being fun to the end.

There is no way Bioware will ever be able to tweak the match-making system to account for slackers with an attitude of entitlement, slackers who will never hold themselves accountable for their own failures.

:
Shabaz'k'morton Bastion
Güntervögler POT5

Joesixxpack
02.27.2013 , 11:04 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Bolo_Yeung View Post
"No easy victory for me, so I quit" ? Congrats.
Methinks you're not the real Bolo Yeung. Bolo would be too busy 1-shotting reds with pec-smash AOEs to complain in the forums.
SifuStoli Sage | Joesixxpack VG | BBQ'Ribs GS | Hawt'Sauce Guard | Dark'nStormy Scrap
ilotSufiS Mara | BBQRibs Sin | BBQSammich PT | BBQSawce MM | Dark'n'Stormy Op Med
PROPHECY OF THE FIVE

sumuji
02.27.2013 , 11:34 AM | #24
Been mentioned 1000 times. Never addressed by Bioare that I know of. Summary, WZ shoppers will continue to flee...putting a team that's already most likely off to a bad start at a even more of a disadvantage.

If it were a perfect world this game would have some kind of mechanic like, I don't know, pretty much every other game out there with instanced PvP games. There's not really any debating to be had here. It's an expected MMO standard feature for a good reason.

Crumpilumpigus
02.27.2013 , 12:03 PM | #25
I don't think that most people leave a warzone because they are losing. The queue time is to long for that to be an effective strategy. Instead, I think they leave because they see the team is exhibiting zero teamwork...and they know they aren't going to have any fun.

Jabrunn
02.27.2013 , 12:12 PM | #26
I do not believe there should be a penalty for quitting a warzone.
First, Bioware must adopt a ZERO tolerance policy for cheaters/hackers. It completely ruins the experience for other players, especially in pvp warzones. Until Bioware does this, there shouldn't even be a discussion on penalizing players for leaving warzones early in my opinion.

Second, the queing system for SWTOR pvp needs to be revamped. It too often pits pug groups of undergeared players against premades in full WH/EWH gear. Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for an instant win in every wz. I just want to be able to comptete. After all, this is a game and a game is meant to be enjoyed. I DON'T enjoy being burned down in a matter of seconds with every encounter in the wz (even though I'm in full WH/EWH). PVP should be enjoyed, not endured.

I know many people believe there should be penalties for leaving a wz and many excellent points have been made to support that argument. However, until the above mentioned items have been seriously addressed by Bioware, I do not believe a penalty should be implemented.

Drudenfusz
02.27.2013 , 12:15 PM | #27
From the expirience on my server I have to say that I am glad that people leave my team, because mostly only losers do that and often enough they get replaced with players who actually can help to still win the game. So, let the losers leave without penalty, helps me to win those games (they already have an penalty, they have to queue anew and get not commentations for the game they left).
My Old Republic Warring is Magic
Gwenya - The Drudenfusz Legacy, Jedi Shadow on Jar'Kai Sword
When you play the game of PvP, you win or you die.
English version <- SWTOR Wiki -> German version

Jabrunn
02.27.2013 , 12:15 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Crumpilumpigus View Post
I don't think that most people leave a warzone because they are losing. The queue time is to long for that to be an effective strategy. Instead, I think they leave because they see the team is exhibiting zero teamwork...and they know they aren't going to have any fun.
I agree. I don't leave warzones because my team is losing. That's a part of the game. I leave when I know there isn't a chance of even competing. That isn't fun. As I said before, PVP should be enjoyed, not endured.

Defecter
02.27.2013 , 12:17 PM | #29
When the WZ starts and I see that my team is composed of 4-5 level 10-19 players, I quit. As a healer (alt I'm lvling atm), I just can't stand healing lowbies that don't have any defensive cooldowns of their own and bring virtually nothing of use to a WZ. I routinely see lowbies like that drop from 100% to the danger zone before I can even get a single cast-time heal off. It's just not worth the hassle.

I also quit a WZ when people are retarded. A few examples;

- I, as a healer, am somehow solo-guarding a capture point instead of helping our team survive. On top of that, nobody comes when I call incoming.
- When the entire team in Voidstar decides to only defend the left door while even non-stealth enemies are heading to the right (happens more often then I held possible).
- When the Ancient Hypergate match starts and more than half of the team runs to capture the first gate instead of just the sorcerer plus maybe a healer if you are facing a semi-smart opposing PUG team.

And it's not like I don't stick with losing battles. I don't mind losing. As long as it isn't a loss infested with stupidity. Hell, I don't even expect a very high win:loss ratio when I'm pugging stuff on either my lowbie alts or my 50 toons. But I do expect a modicum of common sense. And that goes doubly so when I play the extremely thankless job of a healer in PvP. Good god, before I played a healer in this game, I never knew how utterly thankless it feels being a healer in a pug.

So yeah, if we're losing because people are simply running around being complete idjits, I will quit. If we're losing simply because the opposing team is better, I can thouroughly enjoy the match regardless of the outcome.

That all being said, it's usually perfectly clear what kind of team your on from the first 1-2 minutes into a game. So, I barely ever quit when I'm already halfway through a match.

People can call me a quitter all they want, but I simply don't care. I won't let idiots waste my time in this game which I want to enjoy. Luckily the matches I finish, far outweigh the amount of matches I quit.

Jabrunn
02.27.2013 , 12:20 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by islander View Post
The only thing that irks me is when people quit and the result is still reasonably in doubt.
I mean, I quit the occasional warzone after it starts, but typically not because we started losing initially.

I'll stick around until I am annoyed by my teammates stupidity, or I just get zerged so hard and often (maybe because I'm of only two people on the team doing DPS worth a crap) that I just have enough of it.
I don't mind hard fought defeats. You can learn from those on a personal level.
There's nothing to be learned from getting zerged/stunned/smashed over and over though.
I can't agree with you more. There is nothing fun about being smashed over and over again in a wz. There's nothing to be learned there.