Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Low Warzone FPS - Low CPU/GPU usage - observations

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Low Warzone FPS - Low CPU/GPU usage - observations

Blasphemerr
02.27.2013 , 07:17 PM | #11
All the cool kids severely underclock their RAM, man!
Something pretentious.

Katszc
02.27.2013 , 07:38 PM | #12
If I'm gonna be honest, while obviously updating you're computer with new hardware will improve your FPS, it's the games faults aswell, or rather the makers of the game, the amount of graphical options available on this game is too few.

The one thing that really disturbed me is that they have no slider for FoV (Field of View/Vision) which makes a lot of stuff spawn way ahead, often too far when not needed, like trees or bushes, or even mobs, players should be shown way ahead of course, but the stuff mentioned before does not need to spawn that far ahead.
If you have a computer that can handle it then great but a lot of people don't, and don't have the money to upgrade their computer either.

My computer can handle it decently, like, I can play, my fps drops to around ~30 in Warzones, 20-25 if a lot of AoE's and a lot of people on screen.

If they would have just added a slider for FoV it would improve so much, there's really just so much even outside the map I don't even need to see at all.

Now the work to do it is, I believe a lot more time consuming than if they had just added the option while they were making the game.
Though I'm not sure, I'm no coder, but can't think of anything else as for the reason why they haven't added the option yet.

Just wanted to get that off my shoulders.
Katszc - The Other Guys - Shadow
Tojiko - Hakuna MatatŃ - Scoundrel
ărowberry - Hakuna MatatŃ - Sage

XEEVA
02.28.2013 , 11:38 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Defecter View Post
First off, 32 GB of RAM is essentially useless unless you do really heavy duty stuff. Like, proffesionally heavy duty stuff. For current and probably even next-gen games, it's basically wasted money on fancy marketing tricks.

Sorry, just had to get it out there. It irks me when people flaunt their 32GB RAM-peen.
Not a peen thing. I just happen to run virtual machines on my gaming rig for work, as I am a heavy duty professional!
AgentSith-MDN
Officer <EPIDEMIC> The Harbringer
55 Jugg Xeeva | 55 Mara Stabbie-MDN | 55 Sin Bluwaffle | 55 Sorc GBanger
55 Merc Xeeana | 55 PT FatSlob | 55 OP GoodDay-MDN | 55 Sniper AgentSith-MDN

55 Slinger WhiteStar-MDN | 55 Sage IŠonŠ | 55 Knight Sweep'er

cultivatedmass
03.01.2013 , 12:17 AM | #14
i had this EXACT same problem with my ati.

i ran guild wars 1 login screen in the background to fix it(forced utilization of gpu. went from 20% to 80%) then upgraded to a nvidia.

NogueiraA
03.01.2013 , 02:01 AM | #15
i5 + 8gb RAM and you'll see no FPS drop.

I can imagine me playing with 15ms.. I play with 140ms.

NLxAROSA
03.01.2013 , 05:16 AM | #16
Thanks for all the responses people.

New RAM is something I will definitely do, 4GB doesn't leave a lot of margin, so I'll upgrade that to 8GB.

Some of you suggested my temps may be getting too high, which results in downthrottling of CU or GPU. I specifically monitored that, and my clock speeds are at max when measuring. Temperature is not really an issue, since GPU and CPU utilization are both at 50-60%, so they're not really getting hot at all.

But when I hear some of you mention dropping down to 40-50FPS, that something I would be really glad with actually, because it's almost double of my minimum right now. I think the GPU is powerful enough to run at the resolution and detail that I run it on, so I guess I could stick a core i5 in there, that doubles the amount of physical cores I have available. But I'm still a bit weary to do so, since CPU utilization is fairly low. (Though any excuse to get new hardware is good of course :P)

Ankhkharu
03.01.2013 , 08:15 AM | #17
Sorry mate, but this is purely CPU's fault. You need somewhere around 2.8-3GHz to handle all the crap that happens in the background. Graphics is not the issue, this has been tested and benchmared into oblivion since the game came out, you need more juice per core, not better graphics or RAM sorry.

I ran the game with 280GTX graphics and 2.4ghz core 2 quad, upgraded to i5 and ran the game in highest settings everything maxed out etc. no issue anywhere.
Unlimited @ToFN

cultivatedmass
03.01.2013 , 09:04 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by NLxAROSA View Post
Thanks for all the responses people.

New RAM is something I will definitely do, 4GB doesn't leave a lot of margin, so I'll upgrade that to 8GB.

Some of you suggested my temps may be getting too high, which results in downthrottling of CU or GPU. I specifically monitored that, and my clock speeds are at max when measuring. Temperature is not really an issue, since GPU and CPU utilization are both at 50-60%, so they're not really getting hot at all.

But when I hear some of you mention dropping down to 40-50FPS, that something I would be really glad with actually, because it's almost double of my minimum right now. I think the GPU is powerful enough to run at the resolution and detail that I run it on, so I guess I could stick a core i5 in there, that doubles the amount of physical cores I have available. But I'm still a bit weary to do so, since CPU utilization is fairly low. (Though any excuse to get new hardware is good of course :P)
it's not a problem with your system.

NLxAROSA
03.01.2013 , 01:21 PM | #19
Ordered myself a core i5-3550 and 2x8GB of memory, should be enough for a while. Still thinking about getting an SSD...

MiaRB
03.01.2013 , 01:33 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Ankhkharu View Post
Sorry mate, but this is purely CPU's fault. You need somewhere around 2.8-3GHz to handle all the crap that happens in the background. Graphics is not the issue, this has been tested and benchmared into oblivion since the game came out, you need more juice per core, not better graphics or RAM sorry.

I ran the game with 280GTX graphics and 2.4ghz core 2 quad, upgraded to i5 and ran the game in highest settings everything maxed out etc. no issue anywhere.
^this. your CPU is the weak link here. 64 bit OS and 8g of ram would help also, but not really that much if you dont upgrade your CPU.
can't wait for this game to come out!