Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So, what exactly is a DPS sorc supposed to do?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
So, what exactly is a DPS sorc supposed to do?

Edonidd
02.25.2013 , 06:00 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by rlamela View Post
Lol you dont even play the class do you. Force In Balance is 11 points in Balance tree and it hits for 5K. It will even hit 5k way more times if u put 7 points in Seer tree. SO how is it u actually have to go way up in the tree to do this.

Jenna'syyde
If you can hit with deathfield or force in balance for 5k with only 11 points in the tree, I will get down on my knees and beg for your forgiveness. Until then I am going to politely ask you to shut up if you don't know what you're talking about.

And for my sage/sorc brothers and sisters who do understand that without creeping death, and without that 30% extra surge on deathfield I will just apologize that you had to waste your time with this post.

rlamela
02.25.2013 , 06:04 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Edonidd View Post
If you can hit with deathfield or force in balance for 5k with only 11 points in the tree, I will get down on my knees and beg for your forgiveness. Until then I am going to politely ask you to shut up if you don't know what you're talking about.

And for my sage/sorc brothers and sisters who do understand that without creeping death, and without that 30% extra surge on deathfield I will just apologize that you had to waste your time with this post.
deleted for not wanting points

i have crit 5k without using mental scarring/creeping death. I've crit 5k using a 12-17-12 hybrid so im sorry if u cant but I have.
now no points ok bioware
Jenna'syyde

Ottoattack
02.25.2013 , 10:56 PM | #23
I crit 5k with force in balance all the time when run 7-3-31 Balance. I also will crit 5k with it using what I run now 3-5-33. Just not as often.. Here is my Sage with STATS

Jenna'syyde
Only against people in PvE gear. I have never been hit by a 5K force in balance and I played minimum 1000 games among three toons, even on my sorceress.

SirUrza
02.25.2013 , 11:10 PM | #24
"So, what exactly is a DPS sorc supposed to do?"

Reroll smash.
ị█ị██████ịịΘịị█ị{▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

SEANeD
02.25.2013 , 11:27 PM | #25
Sorcs are great dps, but if your not using every single utility, then your playing the class wrong. Most sorcs spam force lightning for a majority of the game. Good sorcs use affliction as much as possible and use creeping terror every time it comes of cd. You need to have an eye for AOEs, and if you don't cc, slow, root, and purge, you can be killed easily by a marauder and a powertech. If you do everything right force speed to cover and your good. I'm not the best sorc ever, and it took me a while to understand the class, but unless you really have an idea of what you're doing you can't succeed playing this class. In this game its hard to be great at any class, but to just be good for a sorc is hard compared to being a good marauder or sniper.

rlamela
02.26.2013 , 12:31 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Ottoattack View Post
Only against people in PvE gear. I have never been hit by a 5K force in balance and I played minimum 1000 games among three toons, even on my sorceress.
I have hit full warhero gear with 5k force in balance. Again just cause you haven't or you never been hit by one doesn't mean it don't happen. I have hit pve gear people for over 6k with FiB. A Sorc who runs Lightning tree named Psychospider has hit people for 7k with Turbulence on my server. Yes It is easier for other classes to hit for 5K but it doesn't mean we cant dps.

Jenna'syyde

JDotter
02.26.2013 , 12:50 AM | #27
I crit 5k with force in balance all the time when run 7-3-31 Balance. I also will crit 5k with it using what I run now 3-5-33. Just not as often.. Here is my Sage with STATS

Jenna'syyde
I don't see 1396 exp you're doing it wrong

On topic sorcs are fine just don't be like 96% of sorc who face tank melee classes.

alexsamma
02.26.2013 , 01:28 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by JDotter View Post
I don't see 1396 exp you're doing it wrong

On topic sorcs are fine just don't be like 96% of sorc who face tank melee classes.
Sorcs are fine until they come under focus fire, then're genreally dead unless they have a pocket tank/healer.

Sure, you're going to respond that every class goes down under focus fire, but sorcs go down under less focus fire and put our less damage than other dps classes do before they die;; sorcs are also more prone to be focus fired because it is incredibly easy to lock a sorc down and burn them. If I am dpsing on my sage/sorc and the enemy team decides to kill me I do not have the defensive cooldowns to keep myself up long enough to contribute to my team, if I am on my guardian dpsing I can generally prolong my death by using the various CC abilities and defensive cool-downs that the class has access to (instant aoe mezz, force leap, push, guardian leap out, force stasis); I can also put out much more damage on my guardian before I go down, making it very dangerous for the enemy team to attack me.

Anyone who puts out good damage on a sorc will do 100 time better on a sniper/warrior/knight/pt because these classes bring BURST dps to the table, alongside proper defensive cool-downs.

As far as losing one on one's.... well, we're actually decent at one on one's where we can actually kite/los and afford to draw the battle out - maybe they should give us a cooldown that summons a pillar for us to kite around

biowareftw
02.26.2013 , 01:38 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by alexsamma View Post
Sorcs are fine until they come under focus fire, then're genreally dead unless they have a pocket tank/healer.

Sure, you're going to respond that every class goes down under focus fire, but sorcs go down under less focus fire and put our less damage than other dps classes do before they die;; sorcs are also more prone to be focus fired because it is incredibly easy to lock a sorc down and burn them. If I am dpsing on my sage/sorc and the enemy team decides to kill me I do not have the defensive cooldowns to keep myself up long enough to contribute to my team, if I am on my guardian dpsing I can generally prolong my death by using the various CC abilities and defensive cool-downs that the class has access to (instant aoe mezz, force leap, push, guardian leap out, force stasis); I can also put out much more damage on my guardian before I go down, making it very dangerous for the enemy team to attack me.

Anyone who puts out good damage on a sorc will do 100 time better on a sniper/warrior/knight/pt because these classes bring BURST dps to the table, alongside proper defensive cool-downs.

As far as losing one on one's.... well, we're actually decent at one on one's where we can actually kite/los and afford to draw the battle out - maybe they should give us a cooldown that summons a pillar for us to kite around
Newsflash. All classes die if they are under focus fire from multiple people except for a mara/sent that is playing against morons who don't understand how cloak of pain/rebuke works, and hybrid tanks (because noone plays full tank specs).

Also LOL at you thinking a smash guardian doesn't go down quick. They are probably the easiest class to focus fire down outside of one long cooldown.

Mara/sent? Different story. They also can't taunt (which is huge in rateds).

I think I finally understand what you kids want. You want to have the survival of a sent/marauder, but you want to be able to do all your dmg from ranged (makes total sense) so that you are not subject to the 1000 CC's that a melee dps goes through in any given warzone. You also want to keep the ability to shield other people (a shield is a instant heal since there is no offensive dispel in this game), offheal, CC from range, knock people off of levels and bridges, and respec healing at any time (for free) and be either the number 1 or number 2 healer, depending on patch, while also being viable as pve dps or heals.

Good luck with that! I suggest asking for taunt as well.
Einstein's relativity work is a magnificent mathematical garb which fascinates, dazzles and makes people blind to the underlying errors. The theory is like a beggar clothed in purple whom ignorant people take for a king... its exponents are brilliant men but they are metaphysicists rather than scientists.- Nikola Tesla - New York Times (11 July 1935)

alexsamma
02.26.2013 , 01:47 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by biowareftw View Post
Newsflash. All classes die if they are under focus fire from multiple people except for a mara/sent that is playing against morons who don't understand how cloak of pain/rebuke works, and hybrid tanks (because noone plays full tank specs).

Also LOL at you thinking a smash guardian doesn't go down quick. They are probably the easiest class to focus fire down outside of one long cooldown.

Mara/sent? Different story. They also can't taunt (which is huge in rateds).

I think I finally understand what you kids want. You want to have the survival of a sent/marauder, but you want to be able to do all your dmg from ranged (makes total sense) so that you are not subject to the 1000 CC's that a melee dps goes through in any given warzone. You also want to keep the ability to shield other people (a shield is a instant heal since there is no offensive dispel in this game), offheal, CC from range, knock people off of levels and bridges, and respec healing at any time (for free) and be either the number 1 or number 2 healer, depending on patch, while also being viable as pve dps or heals.

Good luck with that! I suggest asking for taunt as well.
Look at my sig, i have a fifty smash guardian, and the class is easy mode.

I die under focus fire, but even if half of the enemy team jumps on me I can awe them and then guardian leap out... I can also use focused defense/enure/medpack and still pull off at least one sweep before I go down, and that one sweep is going to hit everyone around me to 5-7k (assuming they are geared, otherwise it's going to hit harder)..

I only play my guardian when I want to lol at people, or feel like annoying people in huttball.

And the easiest class to burn down after a sorc is a Pyro PT, but at least they give you hell during the process.

EDIT: BTW, what class do you play?