Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So, what exactly is a DPS sorc supposed to do?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
So, what exactly is a DPS sorc supposed to do?

foxmob
03.01.2013 , 12:40 AM | #91
I just got owned by a sage running some sort of balance build while on my deception. now I"m not great on the deception, but I win 90% of the 1v1s that I initiate. it was quite frustrating. I kept getting stunned and...more often, rooted. I couldn't keep him in range in order to do appreciable dps. all he had to do was break and cc during my initial burst and I was done. it was embarrassing.

yes, sages are squishy. my advice: stop trying to run lighting spam. it's only slightly better than gunnery commando.
meh
Quote: Originally Posted by Jadescythe View Post
TL;DR Bolster is meant to help entry level players, ranked PvP is not entry level PvP.

cultivatedmass
03.01.2013 , 02:24 AM | #92
Quote: Originally Posted by foxmob View Post
I just got owned by a sage running some sort of balance build while on my deception. now I"m not great on the deception, but I win 90% of the 1v1s that I initiate. it was quite frustrating. I kept getting stunned and...more often, rooted. I couldn't keep him in range in order to do appreciable dps. all he had to do was break and cc during my initial burst and I was done. it was embarrassing.

yes, sages are squishy. my advice: stop trying to run lighting spam. it's only slightly better than gunnery commando.
full balance. almost spammable root.

tekhiun
03.01.2013 , 04:09 AM | #93
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkPharohEclip View Post
Not exaclty sure what the OP wants here, I have a sorc and my dps is amazing, you are playing a cloth class, you are gonna take more damage and dish out more. Reality here is everyone just wants a buff so they can have the most OP class in the game... Buff this you better do them all, because there are other classes out there hurting alot worse than a sorc.
clearly a troll.

Yeah we should be a cloth class with amazing BURST dmg. We die fast but we kill fast, however this hasnt been the case for quite some time. THe kill fast classes are the ones that have excellent defensive cooldowns and mitigation, go figure.
Star Wars: Attack of the Cartel.

Cretinus
03.01.2013 , 04:19 AM | #94
Quote: Originally Posted by sauerkraut View Post
Dude what you saying here, just with different words ( you admit it or not )is that you are the best and only an OP class can kill you. Ergo every other class is OP.
Errrhhh... what?! Are you sure that you understood my post?
nerf operatives

FodderofCannon
03.01.2013 , 03:06 PM | #95
Quote: Originally Posted by tekhiun View Post
clearly a troll.

Yeah we should be a cloth class with amazing BURST dmg. We die fast but we kill fast, however this hasnt been the case for quite some time. THe kill fast classes are the ones that have excellent defensive cooldowns and mitigation, go figure.
He's likley a under 50 and doesn't yet understand how pathetic a sorcs burst really is. Sorcs pre 50 seem really good.
Learn to Think
L2T

Elizle
03.01.2013 , 08:35 PM | #96
I have a Telekinetics Sage that was great. I loved playing it. Now since the latest patch. Marauders and Juggernauts tear me apart. I can't do anything. Immediately after they see me, I'm dead and defenseless. Whatever was done in the last patch needs fixed. It isn't even fun anymore.

BurnedRemains
03.01.2013 , 08:55 PM | #97
Hey OP: you should learn to: use colons: properly: like me:.

rlamela
03.01.2013 , 10:50 PM | #98
I'm sure I posted this in here already, but since it isn't a dead thread yet mine as well post it again. Now maybe its different for DPS Sorcs then it is for DPS sages. I wouldn't know as my Sorcerer is a healer and retired. But On my DPS Sage I usually DPS, but sometimes when I notice my teammates health bars going down but not really going up. I stop DPS'ing and I throw some bubbles and heals my teammates way. I know it sounds weird a DPS pretending to be a healer but maybe bioware gave us these heals to actually use. I could be wrong but I doubt it. DPS Sage/Sorcs have by far the best helas for a DPS spec. And far to many of them ignore them all together.

Jenna'syyde

Yeochins
03.02.2013 , 12:43 AM | #99
Quote: Originally Posted by rlamela View Post
I'm sure I posted this in here already, but since it isn't a dead thread yet mine as well post it again. Now maybe its different for DPS Sorcs then it is for DPS sages. I wouldn't know as my Sorcerer is a healer and retired. But On my DPS Sage I usually DPS, but sometimes when I notice my teammates health bars going down but not really going up. I stop DPS'ing and I throw some bubbles and heals my teammates way. I know it sounds weird a DPS pretending to be a healer but maybe bioware gave us these heals to actually use. I could be wrong but I doubt it. DPS Sage/Sorcs have by far the best helas for a DPS spec. And far to many of them ignore them all together.

Jenna'syyde
When you're fighting good players they aren't going to give you a spare GCD to cast bubble on your ally. All of the real bursty DPS classes need only 1 GCD at 4 meters or 10 meters to setup for a 10 meter/15 meter/30 meter follow up. You don't have much time inbetween throwing your kiting tools:
  • Force Slow
  • Creeping Terror/Affliction
  • Knockback/Overload
  • Self heal
  • Self Bubble
  • Purge-on-self (to remove slow effects, and FORCE CRUSH)
  • Electrocute
  • Whirlwind

To throw someone a bubble. If you do so you will require another kiting rotation before you can deal damage without taking major blows.

When fighting good players if you allow them to land that crucial move you are going to be taking 4-6K off of your HP pool in the next 1 or 2 GCD's.

If you are facing bad players you will get a chance to throw bubbles on your allies.

rlamela
03.02.2013 , 12:52 AM | #100
Quote: Originally Posted by Yeochins View Post
When you're fighting good players they aren't going to give you a spare GCD to cast bubble on your ally. All of the real bursty DPS classes need only 1 GCD at 4 meters or 10 meters to setup for a 10 meter/15 meter/30 meter follow up. You don't have much time inbetween your:
  • Force Slow
  • Creeping Terror/Affliction
  • Knockback/Overload
  • Self heal
  • Self Bubble
  • Purge
  • Electrocute
  • Whirlwind

To throw someone a bubble. If you do so you will require another kiting rotation before you can deal damage without taking major blows.

When fighting good players if you allow them to land that crucial move you are going to be taking 4-6K off of your HP pool in the next 1 or 2 GCD's.

If you are facing bad players you will get a chance to throw bubbles on your allies.
well you might not have the time, but i seem to manage it just fine. You aren't always being attacked by good players. And Even if you are, its still real easy to switch targets throw a bubble and switch back. There is no reason why a DPS sage shouldn't have over 200K healing when your team doesn't have a real healer. I have put up over 450K healing as a dps sage. And Many ganes with 300K+ damage 280K+ healing. But I like winning so I do whatever I can to help win. If we have good healers then yes I will DPS non stop.There is always time for a dps to throw heals. Hell my dps commandos heals are way worst then my sages and I have put up 270k healing in a full dps spec. Bioware gave us these skills to use. Stop letting your teammates die because you are dps.

Jenna'syyde