Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Video Card crashes.

Legourou
02.24.2013 , 11:15 AM | #1
Here's my DXDIAG:
Spoiler

For some reason, when playing your game on max settings my video card will crash randomly and sometimes when it happens, it'll reboot itself instantly but other times I have to restart my computer.

Any help? This is a brand new computer so if there's something wrong with the video card, I'd like to know so I can go about fixing it. But if there's just some update I'm missing or if I can change some settings in the game to make this not happen so much that will be most appreciated.

Legourou
02.24.2013 , 02:33 PM | #2
Do I have to bump or will anyone see my message off page 1?

Sydexlic
02.24.2013 , 03:44 PM | #3
Are you overclocking your GPU at all? Sounds very much like the issues I was having some time ago where my GPU was running less than stable after being a little too aggressively overclocked. If you know what you are doing you could try upping the voltage your GPU or VRAM is running at or wind back the memory and core clocks a bit until stability returns.

Laiham
02.24.2013 , 04:36 PM | #4
if the system is automatically rebooting while playing my first suspicion would be overheating, though the build quality on alienwares tends to be pretty good.

is there any sort of temperature monitoring software included? if not, i use GPU-Z for display card temps and RealTemp for my CPU.
"So that's it. You've grown a moustache!"
- Darth Vader

Legourou
02.25.2013 , 10:54 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Sydexlic View Post
Are you overclocking your GPU at all? Sounds very much like the issues I was having some time ago where my GPU was running less than stable after being a little too aggressively overclocked. If you know what you are doing you could try upping the voltage your GPU or VRAM is running at or wind back the memory and core clocks a bit until stability returns.
I think Alienware might have overclocked it themselves, but I don't know much about hardware side of computers. Which is why I spent so much money so I didn't have to worry about this kind of crap.

Quote: Originally Posted by Laiham View Post
if the system is automatically rebooting while playing my first suspicion would be overheating, though the build quality on alienwares tends to be pretty good.

is there any sort of temperature monitoring software included? if not, i use GPU-Z for display card temps and RealTemp for my CPU.
I read reviews about the computer I have having some thermal problems, so I spent extra money on this Alienware chassis that has cooling vents and the vents have their own monitoring programs that open and close based on the temp inside. Though nothing that alerts me if something is indeed overheating.

Yet, the problem still persists... I'll try and turn down the graphics on swtor and see if that helps out any. Thanks for the help so far guys.